So, I'm off to Russia...

da teachada teacha Regular
edited July 2010 in Life
Got my contract through the other day. 23 hours a week; 36,000 Rubles a month; 9 months.

I don't really know much Russian, and finding the motivation to learn is pretty difficult. I love the thrill of scraping by at first without knowing much of the language: makes me feel like I'm living life on hard mode.

The visa seems like a fucking hassle aswell. Just waiting for the letter of invitation from the school, so I can crack on with the process. Have to get myself a HIV test (kinda embarassing having to ring up and book appointment), somehow find £100, and then fill out a shitload of paperwork.

Shall all be worth it though I guess.

Anybody here been or from Russia and got any tips or advice? Or even anybody want to head out there theirselves and want me to help out with finding something?

Comments

• corduroycorduroy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Which part of Russia?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    I would advise you consult Google Maps before going there.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
    [in soviet russia comment]
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    I would advise you consult Google Maps before going there.

Why's that?! :confused:

I have a big map on my wall. It looks big and menacing, a bit like me. I think I'll fit in well...
    edited July 2010
    [in soviet russia comment]

Wow, there's a guy on the travel forum posting at the same time as me?! :eek:

Voila! Totse.info must be finding some life.

And to the guy a few posts above, I'll be going to Samara.
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I heard if you go to Russia and do it wrong, you can end up dead... true/false? I'd be a bit scared to go anything east of germany...

may be media brainwashing though.
    edited July 2010
    Nightside wrote: »
    I heard if you go to Russia and do it wrong, you can end up dead... true/false? I'd be a bit scared to go anything east of germany...

may be media brainwashing though.

Well, I lived in Poland for a year and that was safe as anywhere can be. I then lived in Ukraine for a month and whilst it was a bit rough round the edges, I never ran into any trouble at all.

Russia is probably the next step up, but I've spoken to plenty of English teachers who've done a stint there, and none of them have ever ran into any serious shit; only minor little scuffles with drunken people.

But I'll soon find out for myself. As a rule of thumb, most places are pretty safe as long as you don't act like a fucking idiot. Exceptions being those places where there's serious conflict going on.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited July 2010
    Rolf states that Russia is not so bad a place, provided one does certain things, such as avoiding the gangs of skinhead men, for they smell. Rolf also suggests not mentioning the how evil the Soviet Union was, avoid swarms of children, said children will try to steal your money. Rolf also suggests avoiding police, some of them like donations.

Oh, Rolf suggests thou takes condoms with thou, never go lucky dip with any random Russian or Ukranian woman, thou never knows what one might get.
  • corduroycorduroy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Definitely be careful when crossing the street, pedestrians don't have the right of way so cars can legally hit you.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
    In soviet russia, road cross you!
    edited July 2010
    In soviet russia, road cross you!

In Soviet Russia, class teaches you!
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited July 2010
    da teacha wrote: »
    Well, I lived in Poland for a year and that was safe as anywhere can be. I then lived in Ukraine for a month and whilst it was a bit rough round the edges, I never ran into any trouble at all.

Be careful. You're on a slippery Eastern slope. Soon you'll be in Siberia...and then N. Korea. :eek:
  • StaplesStaples Regular
    edited July 2010
    A lot of russians strongly dislike americans and canadians by default. I call it ignorance, they call it wisdom, fuck it.
  • VirtusetVirtuset Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    There are some people in this world that I respect and some people that I fear, and some that I both fear and respect or neither.

A people that I fear but do not respect- Mexicans
    A people that I respect but do not fear- Swedes
    A people that I fear and respect- Russians

Russia is one of those places where I just will not go.
  • DeadHamDeadHam Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I wanna go to Russia, but to the fuckin Boonies out East(?) Yall know, the fucking huge part on the map without any cities. I saw some shit on TV, Deadliest Journeys, where they went out there and it seemed awesome, cold, but awesome. Lots of humor, alcohol, and guns... FUCK YEAH! Oh, and bears... and civilians using military hardwares, that is, herders driving tracked vehicles drunk.. fuck yea