Phone company dicked us over (verizon)

ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
We paid the bill last friday at a payment center and they cut off service anyway. We call them and after a very long time figured out that they lost the payment. On wednesday we faxed them our receipt to prove we paid it and they're going to restore service...next friday. :facepalm: My DSL internet relies on having phone service so I've had to internet using my phone.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Fucking bitches, see if you can screw with them for some free shit. Obviously you won't pay for the time you were down, but if you have paid your bills on time, and they want to keep you, they will compensate you in some way for your downtime.
  • edited January 2011
    Didn't you have problems with your phone company before? Or was that someone else... I can't remember. Their service sounds terrible though.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    I've had horrible experiences with at&t as well, although that's a cell phone. Good luck getting your shit turned back on, telecoms are notoriously douchey.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Nah that was my internet service providor Earthlink. I often have problems with internet getting shut off because my parents always wait until the last minute to pay the bills, or later, even when we have the money. I ended up having to pay the phone bill with my own money. Damn I can't wait to move out in a year and a half.
  • edited January 2011
    Recently I had a phone replaced. For some reason, the phone company (Verizon) saw fit to change my plan such that it did not include data use. The next month, I check the bill online and find that it is ridiculously high (Hundreds of dollars more than usual). I call the fuckers up and they tell me that I don't have a data plan (To which I fruitlessly replied "Yes I do, lol, and I never told anyone at Verizon to cancel it), and that the charges will stay. After hanging up, I canceled my automatic payments to them and went to work finding a solution.

I look online a bit and find a former Verizon employee on a forum who informed me that if you mention several things on the phone with them (Including "Predatory business practices"), they'll drop the charges for fear that you'll call a lawyer or something. So after I dropped some of the terms that the former employee had mentioned, they ended up dropping the extra charges entirely.

EDIT: Not entirely related, but the story goes to show that phone companies do try to fuck you over, and that there are things you can do to stop them.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    If they were cutting you off, you had to be at least 60 days past due, and payments have to process all the way through the system first before the disconnection can be halted.