A short guide to getting good clothes for cheap on the internet

superspeedzsuperspeedz Acolyte
edited July 2010 in Life
Firstly, I'm not gonna promote one style vs another, i'll let you guys choose what you want to get, however I will tell you what is better in terms of sewing and construction. At the moment I am going to restrict this post to menswear as well I don't shop for ladies clothing.

Shirts
There is no point in going to neiman marcus/holt renfrew/harrods and dropping a few hundred for a good shirt, for several reasons
1. It will not fit you perfectly (no shirt off the rack will)
2. its expensive as hell
3. You're restricted to whatever they have.

So my current solution is to get them made to measure from thailand, there are many websites that do this, to list a few
http://www.itailor.com
http://thecustomtailors.com
http://www.ravistailor.com/

Ravis tailor goes a tour of most cities in north america, the uk and australia where they will fit you and allow you to pick your fabrics, however they are the most expensive of the three.

thecustomtailors is the cheapest of the three (does not charge for extras (monogram, contrast collar cuffs, etc) , however their site sucks balls, you need to email the guy and tell him what you want.

Itailor has the best interface though a poor selection of fabrics

All of these sites make shirts made to measure from 30$+

You need to figure out what materials you like best, though sea island cotton is the best cotton you can get though expensive.

Linen is great for summer, however i'd leave it to you guys for getting cheap stuff.

Suits
If you are going for a new suit, you need to figure out two things, how many things will you need to get altered (arms, legs, chest) and what is the cost your local person charges, you need to factor that into the cost of the suit.

I would advise to try the online thailand suit tailors although not to use the styles on their site, go to gq.com and go on fashion shows and pick something you like and have them copy it to your measurements and specifications you're getting a much better fit.

http://www.indochino.com is the probably one of the most popular custom suit sites although a bit priecy.

Ebay can be a good resource though factor in alteration costs.

Ensure the material of the suit you purchase is suitable to your climate, (don't get warmer wool blends if you live somewhere warm, and don't get linen for winter)

t-shirts, jeans, shoes and other mass produced things
My advice is this, try them on in a store in real life, then buy them on ebay, or online a cursory google search should find you the best things

Sunglasses
Go to a sunglass store, find one you like write down the model number and enter it into ebay, that should save you a considerable amount

to be continued, if you would like to add anything i'll gladly edit

Comments

• Gorilla GutsGorilla Guts Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    have you had a suit tailored from one of the sites listed or any place online?
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2010
    I wish i needed a nice shirt and had the money to buy some...

Thanks for this though. :D
  • superspeedzsuperspeedz Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    have you had a suit tailored from one of the sites listed or any place online?

Yes, I have, I use the custom tailors, I just go to gq.com pick out one I like from say gucci, email the picture to the guy, tell him the little things I like (little to no padding on the shoulders), extra slim tapered fit, monogram on the inside etc etc

and he makes it

The construction and quality of his stuff is amazing, although he can't design a site for shit

His suits start at 150 usd and go up to 250 (dependent on material), I got super 130s (which retail for upwards of 700 on the rack) for 250
    edited July 2010
    Paco wrote: »
    I wish i needed a nice shirt and had the money to buy some...

Thanks for this though. :D

Try ebay, if you can't afford something custom, ebay may have stuff to fit you.
    edited July 2010
    Try ebay, if you can't afford something custom, ebay may have stuff to fit you.

Well i don't really need a nice shirt like these anyway.

Plus, even ebay won't fit into my budget. I currently have -$16 to my name.
    edited July 2010
    Paco wrote: »
    Well i don't really need a nice shirt like these anyway.

Plus, even ebay won't fit into my budget. I currently have -$16 to my name.

well with -16 im pretty sure you have no budget :(
    edited July 2010
    well with -16 im pretty sure you have no budget :(

Exactly.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the guide!
    edited July 2010
    meta wrote: »
    Thanks for the guide!