Paranoia?

Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
edited July 2010 in Life
I have constant paranoia that something bad is going to happen. It gives me headaches, prevents me from sleeping, and basically I can't trust anyone. I don't even tell people I know in real life where I live, or what school I go to. This includes my friends.

What do I do? Is there a legal prescription drug I could take? Should I see a psychiatrist? Argh...

Comments

• FrYFrY Regular
    edited July 2010
    There is always some pill you can pop.

But if you want to do it without pills think about what is going on in your head before these attacks come on. Do you have an reoccurring dreams? Did something tragic happen to you or are you not fulfilling a certain area of your life.
  • abusernameabusername Regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't turn to medication, do you really want to take a pill every day the rest of your life just so you can feel better?

First of all, it's probably just severe anxiety/panic disorder, as delusional paranoia is much less common.. though a lot of people confuse it with anxiety.

The healthiest thing for your mind is a active life, Blunderful. If you smoke pot everyday, stop doing so. If you drink too often, stop doing so. Start exercising daily and eating healthy. Just get out more, expose yourself to your fear and strengthen your mind.

I've gone through similar stages and it's nothing to be worried about. Certainly not something to be taking medication for.. anxiety/panic disorders can all be fixed.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited July 2010
    abusername wrote: »
    Don't turn to medication, do you really want to take a pill every day the rest of your life just so you can feel better?

First of all, it's probably just severe anxiety/panic disorder, as delusional paranoia is much less common.. though a lot of people confuse it with anxiety.

The healthiest thing for your mind is a active life, Blunderful. If you smoke pot everyday, stop doing so. If you drink too often, stop doing so. Start exercising daily and eating healthy. Just get out more, expose yourself to your fear and strengthen your mind.

I've gone through similar stages and it's nothing to be worried about. Certainly not something to be taking medication for.. anxiety/panic disorders can all be fixed.

Thanks. +1 I'll start exercising more and being more active, starting early tomorrow morning.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    Blunderful wrote: »
    I have constant paranoia that something bad is going to happen. It gives me headaches, prevents me from sleeping, and basically I can't trust anyone. I don't even tell people I know in real life where I live, or what school I go to. This includes my friends.

What do I do? Is there a legal prescription drug I could take? Should I see a psychiatrist? Argh...

Yeah, this is pretty much my life too. I guess I should go outside, but the internet is more fun/doesn't contain people who will mug me.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited July 2010
    I had paranoia for a while.

Then I realised that being paranoid all the time was worse than when bad things really did happen, which is infrequently anyway and only magnified by paranoia.
    edited July 2010
    Yeah seriously exercise is key for a healthy mind. It sounds strange but just all the chemicals released in your body when you do exercise on top of just being healthier (And linking to a better immune system, which greatly increases your happiness and well being) make such a huge bloody difference, seriously.

I thought I would never go outside again because my anxiety was so bad at one point.. after exercising hard out for like a month I could barely even notice my anxiety.. it sounds like a strange cure(and it is) but it really worked for me.. exercise is the best thing you can ever do for yourself, mentally, spiritually and physically.
  • edited July 2010
    Exercise? Are you really that naive? You must destroy - physically - the source of your paranoia and leap free from its shackles!
    edited July 2010
    Exercise? Are you really that naive? You must destroy - physically - the source of your paranoia and leap free from its shackles!

Excuse me?

I myself have gone through serious bouts of Anxiety, Panic and paranoia. Exercise is the long term fix - I know this from personal experience, you probably have no experience at all to base your advice upon.

Of course exercise is not going to fix everything straight away, but if your body is healthy, your mind will soon follow. Almost everyone with a mental disorder is in horrible shape physically..

So yeah, don't call me naive when you have no idea what I am basing my information upon, it's ignorant and makes for trashy posts.
  • HippieTrippieHippieTrippie Regular
    edited July 2010
    abusername wrote: »
    Excuse me?

I myself have gone through serious bouts of Anxiety, Panic and paranoia. Exercise is the long term fix - I know this from personal experience, you probably have no experience at all to base your advice upon.

Of course exercise is not going to fix everything straight away, but if your body is healthy, your mind will soon follow. Almost everyone with a mental disorder is in horrible shape physically..

So yeah, don't call me naive when you have no idea what I am basing my information upon, it's ignorant and makes for trashy posts.

I don't believe it was the exercise itself that helped you. I believe that the exercise that made you physically healthier and therefore you became more confident in your self, the confidence is what got rid of your anxiety, once you felt more secure about how you look, how you felt, that you knew you were healthy and your body was clean that you began to build confidence and self-esteem and therefore losing the stress and anxiety.
    edited July 2010
    I don't believe it was the exercise itself that helped you. I believe that the exercise that made you physically healthier and therefore you became more confident in your self, the confidence is what got rid of your anxiety, once you felt more secure about how you look, how you felt, that you knew you were healthy and your body was clean that you began to build confidence and self-esteem and therefore losing the stress and anxiety.

No doubt. I meant the benefits of exercise obviously, which include everything you just said.
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    You have reason to fear.
  • ScoobyScooby Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    One word: Meditation
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited July 2010
    Watch yes man, get yourself all syked up and just accept that something bad IS going to happen, then let it happen. Maybe if something bad does actually happen to you then you'll see it isn't the end of the world?
    edited July 2010
    Vicky wrote: »
    Watch yes man, get yourself all syked up and just accept that something bad IS going to happen, then let it happen. Maybe if something bad does actually happen to you then you'll see it isn't the end of the world?

Some people get paranoid about heart attacks, sudden death, stroke etc. So it is the end of the world if that shit happens. lol

Do meditation also like the other guy said. That shit does wonders too
  • zerozerozerozero Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I suffer from this a bit too. I turn mole hills into mountains and think the worst possible outcome is going to happen after a particular event.

I can't think of any advice right now, but just remember people are out for themselves, not you. Most people aren't going to go out of there way to make you suffer, unless they have a reason or something to gain from it.