On Christianity -to those that question the plausibility... and mock at "blind faith"

shockshockshockshockshockshock Semo-Regulars
edited March 2011 in Spurious Generalities
From Christian Bible: Matthew: Chapter 18
with love.

The Greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven
1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

Causing to Stumble
6 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. 7 Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come! 8 If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire. 9 And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.

Comments

• CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited January 2011
    Your slave morality makes me want to point and laugh while you willingly get fucked up the ass by your own moronic pretension.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    You could interpret what he's saying to be like the idea in Taoism of emptying your mind and freeing yourself from preconceived notions and thought.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    When I was a young child and got my first bb gun I shot my retarded neighbor and made him cry. I also killed small animals and enjoyed burning things. So according to jesus should I shoot teh retards? But now with real guns?
    edited January 2011
    When I was a young child and got my first bb gun I shot my retarded neighbor and made him cry. I also killed small animals and enjoyed burning things. So according to jesus should I shoot teh retards? But now with real guns?
    I think he meant that kid in particular, but sure :o
  • VertannoVertanno Semo-Regulars
    edited January 2011

By what age do you mean young child? Although today children can be quite old, he literally meant LITTLE ones.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Vertanno wrote: »
    By what age do you mean young child? Although today children can be quite old, he literally meant LITTLE ones.

I began torturing animals when I was 5 but shooting the retard happened when I was 7 or 8.
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited January 2011
    Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
    -Hebrews 11:1

Christianity encourages absolute trust in something that is supposed to be beyond oneself, yet is not physically attainable by another. If you are to be a follower of Christ, you are to "deny thy self", and believe and dedicate your existence to something that for which you do not have definitive proof. Even if your conscience tells you that you are out of step, one is supposed to deny the innate intuition of their being, and follow a path that is clearly paved, that is faith, that is dedication, that is the way of the lord.

When I was religious in the past, my mind was being torn apart, separated. I was told and encouraged to deny the reasoning and intellect that came naturally to me, as when it ultimately came down to it, I was in the wrong as I didn't have guaranteed certainty. Humans are wrong (or at least have the capability of being so), while the character of god does not. When you have doubt in yourself, deny your gut instinct, only to follow the path of another conveniently made known by the good book. In comparison to thinking for yourself, facing the problem head on, and truly testing yourself as a person.
    Groupthink is a type of thought within a deeply cohesive in-group whose members try to minimize conflict and reach consensus without critically testing, analyzing, and evaluating ideas. It is a second potential negative consequence of group cohesion.

But no, Grinch, this is God's way, God's way is the right way, the only way

Exactly, there is no room for conflict. You are human. Humans have been infected and exposed to sin from the moment of their birth. When you doubt yourself, instead trust the unfailing word of the lord our god. Ultimately you are in the wrong, as the fine details existing between the correlation of your life and the word of god can and never will be spot on. Every Christian has a goal to reach, a model to fit, instead of looking within themselves and accepting that there is no one path. Sure, I can sympathize wanting or even needing some stability in life, yet if you never stand on your own two feet accepting the uncertainty that is our existence, gaining individual resilience, you will never grow into the individual as the innate process would have it.

Act as a child, follow, with your small hand cupped in an embrace, attention caught by the pretty butterfly floating in the distance and see how many hands you can add to the line while you are at it, all the while the lead dictates the direction that is not necessarily right for you individually, yet is right for you all, as that path has been predestined since before the existence of time. It is the way of the lord.

Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, so that we can slip the money from your pockets.

So for future reference please do not go throwing around ambiguous biblical verses alone, absent of any backing content expecting them to resonate as more than words with others who do not similarly share your faith, as your op lacks as much absolute substance as the rest of Christian doctrine.
    edited January 2011
    ^ That's a really good post.
  • edited March 2011
    Erm...these are just Bible passages. All evidence we have indicates that other people wrote that, and those people didn't even know what caused rain.

Anyway, you're completely misunderstanding the viewpoint of your target audience. Most of us don't "question the plausibility." We don't consider it a worthy thing to even question once we're free of it. Instead, we treat the claims about God the same as if you made the claim that, say, there was a new undiscovered type of fish that looks like a kangaroo. Unless you give us some kind of objectively verifiable evidence for the claim it just sounds silly.