Totse is back?!?!?

BewaretheoneBewaretheone New Arrival
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
So i was on totse back in the day... like from its early inceptions on the bbs, up untill it got shut down, and zok shimmied everyone to zoklet... I decided fuck that, And went my own way for the past half a decade i guess. Anyway, is Gus still arround? I think we all remember that guy. ANYWAY

WHAT THE FUCK IS UP TOTSE?

Comments

• -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    Good to see ya, man. Ya, Zok and wires and a few of their lackeys fucked us all over by just thinking of themselves. We're trying to build something good again here now. Make an interesting thread or two and help out if you like.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011
    We have lost quite a lot of the old community. Youre going to see a lot of unfamiliar faces here, but its a nice place
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited January 2011
    Welkam back :o
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Welcome. We have old kids coming back all the time. Toilets are down the hall, to your left.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Welcome to the new totse.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Gustave, fucking lol.

Aye, the good old days of the temple. It was good while it lasted; wish I had discovered it earlier. Would've changed my teen years drastically.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    ^^ Me tooo. :(
  • edited January 2011
    The old community is in shambles, the majority of the totse.info userbase consist of people who were either never on totse.com, or joined in the last death spasms of the site. It's unfortunate and I really miss some of the old faces, but as Mayberry said they trickle in every once in a while.
    fanglekai wrote: »
    *big image*

Holy fuck I remember when that was originally posted. God that takes me back.
    Vizier wrote: »
    Aye, the good old days of the temple. It was good while it lasted; wish I had discovered it earlier. Would've changed my teen years drastically.

:hai: I joined totse.com when I was 14, it was glorious :hai:
    edited January 2011
    I found Totse through an anarchy magazine which had been published just after it opened in 1989. The Temple of the Screaming Electron's advert was on the very last page on the inside, along with a bunch of other similar anarchy BBS sites. I'd just sit there in the wee hours of the morning on my little 386x computer and a 1400 baud US Robotics modem, dialing phone number after phone number, watching the ASCII dance across the screen in multicolored text and images... mystery... adventure... subterfuge... a certain element of danger... it had it all. Telnet all the way, no Hotmail, no Yahoo, no Google, no MSN, no WWW yet... at last not in my neck of the woods anyways. Visiting hundreds of communities, I always kept coming back to the one... The Temple... even though there were indeed others of the same blood.

In the early days, Jeff just had a certain kind of humor and extreme intelligence that was uncanny, and it showed in the way he set things up, and the presentation and materials you were provided as his LOGIN screens rolled across the monitor... always in stages... always delightful animation... always intelligent messages coming to you. And then once you were at the MENU tree (ALT+UPDOWNARROW+ENTER), you hit #5 for the TEXT files and there you were... a literal paradise of arcane information all at your fingertips... blueboxing, redboxing, blackboxing, hackers' delight, build weapons at midnight. It was ALL there, and all fresh and new material that worked like a charm in practical use. The WWW is what killed the dream, but it did usher in a new wave of minds, both dimwitted and gifted alike. We can only make the best of things as they are and move forward, so as the burning sun crawls across the face of the Earth inexorably, leaving night in its wake, so too we must boldly venture forward and make our way.
  • edited January 2011
    I miss UBB, it was such a delightfully buggy system.

Those were the days.
    edited January 2011
    Keep in mind that back when Totse started it wasn't even UBB. It was Telnet, which was a dialup, direct, peer-to-peer system. When you logged into Totse you were logging your own computer directly onto Jeff's computer, where he had a main "file-server" setup on his own box. UBB came much later, with the WWW.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    I found Totse through an anarchy magazine which had been published just after it opened in 1989. The Temple of the Screaming Electron's advert was on the very last page on the inside, along with a bunch of other similar anarchy BBS sites. I'd just sit there in the wee hours of the morning on my little 386x computer and a 1400 baud US Robotics modem, dialing phone number after phone number, watching the ASCII dance across the screen in multicolored text and images... mystery... adventure... subterfuge... a certain element of danger... it had it all. Telnet all the way, no Hotmail, no Yahoo, no Google, no MSN, no WWW yet... at last not in my neck of the woods anyways. Visiting hundreds of communities, I always kept coming back to the one... The Temple... even though there were indeed others of the same blood.

In the early days, Jeff just had a certain kind of humor and extreme intelligence that was uncanny, and it showed in the way he set things up, and the presentation and materials you were provided as his LOGIN screens rolled across the monitor... always in stages... always delightful animation... always intelligent messages coming to you. And then once you were at the MENU tree (ALT+UPDOWNARROW+ENTER), you hit #5 for the TEXT files and there you were... a literal paradise of arcane information all at your fingertips... blueboxing, redboxing, blackboxing, hackers' delight, build weapons at midnight. It was ALL there, and all fresh and new material that worked like a charm in practical use. The WWW is what killed the dream, but it did usher in a new wave of minds, both dimwitted and gifted alike. We can only make the best of things as they are and move forward, so as the burning sun crawls across the face of the Earth inexorably, leaving night in its wake, so too we must boldly venture forward and make our way.

While I did not find Totse until after WWW I do fondly recall the old dial up BBS days. I was doing Compuserve in 1983 with a 900 BAUD Acoustic modem on system with a z80 processor.
    edited January 2011
    Baud. Yes.
    edited January 2011
    ^ Was it unbelievably slow compared to nowadays?
    Well, actually ACSII character-sets process pretty fast, so it wasn't too bad at all. The only slow part was downloading/uploading the text files... could take you 40 minutes if the file is 50kb, with the ping stutters and whatnot... could be longer... heh. A trick you could do is "shotgun" two identical modems into operating as a single modem, so that upped your speed a bit. The limitation was on the phone lines... old copper lines from the 40's.
    edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    Well, actually ACSII character-sets process pretty fast, so it wasn't too bad at all. The only slow part was downloading/uploading the text files... could take you 40 minutes if the file is 50kb, with the ping stutters and whatnot... could be longer... heh. A trick you could do is "shotgun" two identical modems into operating as a single modem, so that upped your speed a bit. The limitation was on the phone lines... old copper lines from the 40's.

28.8 was the fastest possible on copper before compression.
    edited January 2011
    I still have my 1400 baud modem in a box somewhere.. lol. It got me through some good times, though. The 28.8 came out after that and I upgraded, then I got the 33.6, and only in the late 90's did I get a braodband connection.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited January 2011
    28.8 was the fastest possible on copper before compression.

Then came banner ads and shit:(
    Totally killed my spiffy 56k :facepalm: state of the art modem.
    edited January 2011
    What was wild was worldwide networking was totally free for everyone, and then corporations started sticking their greedy noses in, somehow got control of Internet webspace which was public domain, and then the whole scene turned to pure shit. What a lot of people don't know is that the Internet was intended to be a free and open platform for all, and it was never intended to be stolen, horded and manipulated from the public domain by these greasy conglomerates.
    edited January 2011
    Tesla almost gave us free energy. :o
    edited January 2011
    angryonion wrote: »
    Then came banner ads and shit:(
    Totally killed my spiffy 56k :facepalm: state of the art modem.

Yeah and if you were on Windoze platform you had IE3x or Netscape which both sucked ass.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited January 2011
    I lurked totse for fuck knows how many years before I joined. I was with &T for roughly 5 years or so.
    I think the reason I didn't join then was because I was worried you assholes would hack my puter. :facepalm:
  • edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Tesla almost gave us free energy. :o

You can get free energy if you are willing to put countless hours into building circuits and connecting coils to switches and magnets with motors and batteries. Pay money for all that stuff you need then maintain the project that will likely only yield 120% of the voltage you put into the system (minus the power used for the device to measure how much voltage you are getting out of the spinning magnets) this is if you're lucky and/or have a college degree

But yeah fucking totse is back, wonder where it went for those handful of years :D
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited January 2011
    No but Botse is tack!!!!!
    edited January 2011
    No but Botse is tack!!!!!
    You!!! :eek:

(keep it to Half Baked, kid, please and thank you)
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited January 2011
    Like countless others, I stumbled across the text files and only noticed that a totse forum was in existence like 8 months later. I joined in late 2005 (under a different username, and no, I am not telling you fags who I was) and holy shit I was blown away not just by its content (which, when you're 14, is highly desirable) but by its activity! Hundreds of members all at once, posting away. That was the first forum I had ever seen, and I just remember thinking "wow, somebody is sitting down at their computer like I am, and typing things that everybody can read, and I can type something back and make them type back to me(!!!)". Taught me a whole load I would never have learned in school, as well as in the real world...taught me the value of opinions, the importance of diversity, the purpose of knowledge...dang...I miss my innocence.
  • edited January 2011
    Daily wrote: »
    Like countless others, I stumbled across the text files and only noticed that a totse forum was in existence like 8 months later. I joined in late 2005 (under a different username, and no, I am not telling you fags who I was) and holy shit I was blown away not just by its content (which, when you're 14, is highly desirable) but by its activity! Hundreds of members all at once, posting away. That was the first forum I had ever seen, and I just remember thinking "wow, somebody is sitting down at their computer like I am, and typing things that everybody can read, and I can type something back and make them type back to me(!!!)". Taught me a whole load I would never have learned in school, as well as in the real world...taught me the value of opinions, the importance of diversity, the purpose of knowledge...dang...I miss my innocence.

You really do sum it up perfectly dude. This is pretty much exactly how I felt when I first found this place, although I didn't have an account. It was amazing to find so much information in one place on all these fringe topics.
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    You really do sum it up perfectly dude. This is pretty much exactly how I felt when I first found this place, although I didn't have an account. It was amazing to find so much information in one place on all these fringe topics.
    Same. I was scarred and desensitized. Made me crave knowledge, though.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited January 2011
    fuck off