That bullshit processed crab meat stuff

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited March 2011 in Life
Surimi.
It's cheap, has a flavour and is almost edible.
Is there any recipe to make it taste more palatable? :confused:

Comments

• dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited December 2010
    Shred it and mix it with a little mayo, a tiny bit of tomatoe ketchup and a touch of paprika then toss it through a really simple salad.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited December 2010
    Ahh "paprika" there's that missing ingredient. :thumbsup:
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited December 2010
    According to a commercial fisherman i knew, the fish they use for is some worm infested shit fish that happens to get caught in the trawler's nets while fishing for other more desirable fish
    edited December 2010
    According to a commercial fisherman i knew, the fish they use for is some worm infested shit fish that happens to get caught in the trawler's nets while fishing for other more desirable fish
    Barracuda? :confused:
  • edited December 2010

Actually it's made from pollock, which is edible, but hardly worth eating, and it wouldn't surprise me if they tossed in worm infested fish, but hey, it's all just protein. That and some binders like starch and gluten, and maybe they wave it over a dead crab at some point, I dunno..

As for making it more palatable, it is definitely better in a salad with mayo and some other ingredients like celery and onion to give it some texture, little lemon and dill wouldn't hurt either.

I like it in ramen, with some bean sprouts and whatever else is around as well, and it's pretty good in fried rice too.
    C/O
    "Goodness from the sea"
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited December 2010
    It makes for a good snack or extra ingredient. It's also what keeps your sushi prices down :p
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited December 2010
    North Sea / North Atlantic Pollock is not such a bad fish. I bet cooked 99% of the population would not be able to tell it from Cod.

Surely the askan pollock is not a bad eat? When I used to eat the fish I caught, I would eat Whiting and Coaly - they are members of the Cod family and while I could tell they were not Cod and there was a difference, I wonder if I had bought this some where and had been told it was Cod, would I have believed it was after eating the fish?
  • DNA4everDNA4ever Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Um... I kinda like it. =/

...it smells like green giant canned corn though. x]
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    Eat it with spicy mayo, rice, cucumber, and avocado. It's a deconstructed california roll.

Making spicy mayo is easy: mix 3 parts mayo to 1 part sriracha sauce. Add a tiny bit of sugar, lemon or lime juice, and a dash of soy sauce. Mix it up and voila: Spicy fucking mayo.
    edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Making spicy mayo is easy: mix 3 parts mayo to 1 part sriracha sauce. Add a tiny bit of sugar, lemon or lime juice, and a dash of soy sauce. Mix it up and voila: Spicy fucking mayo.
    What's an international substitute for "sriracha sauce" That recipe sounds awesome. :(
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    What's an international substitute for "sriracha sauce" That recipe sounds awesome. :(
    http://lifehacker.com/5514618/make-your-own-sriracha-chili-sauce
    http://www.shesimmers.com/2010/03/homemade-sriracha-how-to-make-authentic.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5258873_make-rooster-style-hot-sauce.html

Transplanted Sriracha Sauce

1 pound fresh red serrano, cayenne, Thai, or chile de arbol chiles, stems removed
    2 1/2 cups rice vinegar (substitute white distilled vinegar)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon salt

Remove the stems from the chiles. Place the chiles and vinegar in a saucepan and heat to boiling. Turn off the heat and add the sugar and salt and stir until dissolved. Place the saucepan contents in a food processor or blender and puree until a smooth thin-paste consistency. Add additional rice vinegar if the mixture is too thick. Allow the mixture to steep for several hours, place in glass containers, and refrigerate. The consistency should be slightly thinner than ketchup.
    Optional: Strain the sauce through sieve and discard the solids for a smooth, seedless consistency.

============================================

Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce Recipe
    By: Dave Drum
    For those so inclined, here is a recipe for making your own sriracha hot sauce:

Fill a container half full with peeled garlic cloves. Fill the rest of the way with 2 (at least) habaneros and a mix of dried serrano and cayenne pods that have been stemmed but not seeded. Add 1 tablespoon of non-iodized salt and fill the container (to cover chile pods and garlic) with 5% strength white vinegar. Cider vinegar or wine vinegar will work but will give you a different flavour.

As the chile pods re-hydrate top up the liquid with water or vinegar. After a few days to a week of steeping in the vinegar dump the whole mess into the food processor or blender and puree until a smooth, thick consistency is reached. If the mixture is too thick it may be thinned with vinegar or water.

The resulting sauce is tangy, quite garlicky and very tasty. Mixed 50/50 with tomato sauce (American catsup) it makes a very nice seafood cocktail sauce. Or it can serve as a salsa on tortilla chips. It's very versatile.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Shred it and mix it with a little mayo, a tiny bit of tomatoe ketchup and a touch of paprika then toss it through a really simple salad.
    then toss it through a really simple salad.
    toss salad.

:hai:
    edited January 2011
    :D
    icwutudidthar.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    I'm allergic to the iodine in shellfish so I like the stuff.
  • busxbusx Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    I like it with mayo and avocado. The most basic crab salad there is!
  • ThrillavanillaThrillavanilla Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    will never be as good as the real thing of course!
    edited March 2011
    will never be as good as the real thing of course!
    I won´t deny that. :thumbsup:
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited March 2011
    It can't compare to the real thing but I love imitation crab:hai:
  • SuicidalAmphibianSuicidalAmphibian Semo-Regulars
    edited March 2011
    Imitation crab can be good depending on how you prepare it...it's better than some of the real crab meat that has been shredded and too heavily processed. :/
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    Sorry, but I don't eat meat that has been taken apart and put back together unless it is a hot dog.