Fucking Dells

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited January 2011 in Tech & Games
Dell inspiron 1525
Someone dropped their lappy in to get some work done on it. Their dumbassed kid was fucking with it because her parents locked her out of sites. (like totse. :rolleyes:) So she thought she'd be a big time haXor & fucked with the bios by implementing a password. Naturally she denied it. :facepalm:
Unfortunately from what I've discovered on google is Dell isn't very cooperative. & The owner has had this thing for a while now.
The D drive is deactivated, so is the USB. Any ideas or is it just another Dell doorstop.:rolleyes:

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Is there a way you can reset the BIOS and remove the password? Or is that where your problem lies...
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited January 2011
    The system is completely shut down and just accesses the Dell startup, not the Windows. I unfortunately can't start from any linux live disc or windows as I can't access the D drive & the same applies to the usb. Plus I can't change the boot sequence because the bios is locked down. In fact the whole system is down now.
    I don't wanna pull the bios battery since I'll have to completely pull it to bits to access it & even then there is probably no guarantee that it'll work anyways.:(
  • edited January 2011
    Well, if you can remove the BIOS battery then the password will be reset. You'll then have to enter some setup information for it all to work again, but it does have a high chance that it will fix your problem.

Shame you have to pull it all apart though :(
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Well, if you can remove the BIOS battery then the password will be reset. You'll then have to enter some setup information for it all to work again, but it does have a high chance that it will fix your problem.

Shame you have to pull it all apart though :(
    Now I can't access bios. :(
    This computer system is "blah,blah,blah sytem #" is protected by a password authentication system. more blah,blah,blah. :mad:
  • edited January 2011
    Is this after or before you took the battery out?
    edited January 2011
    I haven't attempted to take out the battery yet. I thought I'd find another way around it. :(
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    I haven't attempted to take out the battery yet. I thought I'd find another way around it. :(
    Ya, you gotta take out the BIOS battery. I remember the same issue occuring on an old IBM Thinkpad and resetting the battery didn't do much. Worth a try I guess.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited January 2011
    You could replace the bios chip.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    Usually those batteries are soldered on there now. Always good to try, but I wouldn't go so far as to damage the motherboard.

One good way is to go on another computer, make a bootable floppy with the original BIOS on there setup to update on boot, then overwrite/update the problem BIOS with it.
  • edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    Usually those batteries are soldered on there now. Always good to try, but I wouldn't go so far as to damage the motherboard.

One good way is to go on another computer, make a bootable floppy with the original BIOS on there setup to update on boot, then overwrite/update the problem BIOS with it.

Only problem I can see there is that laptops these days don't have floppy drives in them. Sounds like it would work though.
    edited January 2011
    Just found out that even if you do remove the battery the password lock will still be there. It is soldered on there anyways... confirmed.

The 1525 uses a eeprom type chip. Removing the power via the Mitsu CR2032 button cell will do nothing to reset the bios password. Believe me I have been there done that. I am sure you can jump the cmos on the motherboard but have yet to find a soul that knew the chips location and/or which pin's to jump. I believe I've located the chip and some transistors located left of the battery.(But I could be wrong)! even if I was right...I'd have no clue which to jump. I have This Inspiron 1525 is a Bi*&%. Any one with labeled schematics of this board could possibly help.

Ends up the only way other than to call Dell and get the master password (after providing them the laptop's serial numbers) is to clear all CMOS settings by by removing then replacing jumpers 1 and 2.

* Locate the 3-pin CMOS password reset jumper on the system board.

* Remove the jumper plug from pins 1 and 2.
    * Place the jumper plug on pins 2 and 3 and wait for 5 seconds.
    * Replace the jumper plug on pins 1 and 2.

BIOS is now reset to factory defaults with no password.

Only problem is, nobody seems to have the schematics on the motherboard for the Inspiron which show the jumpers location on the board. Looking for it now.
    edited January 2011
    After an exhaustive search, I see there are no motherboard schematics for the Inspiron 1525, but I believe the correct jumper pins are located VERY close to the battery, probably just to the right of it, and it will probably have some text right near them that says something like "CLR CMOS 1-2" or "CLR-TC" or "CLR NVRAM".
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    Here is a list of BIOS "back door" passwords you might try.

http://www.technibble.com/how-to-bypass-or-remove-a-bios-password/
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    http://web.archive.org/web/20031103020606/http://qasimtoep.tripod.com/dell/dell6.html

Maybe this can help.

Taking apart dell laptops (and putting 'em back together) isn't too bad. I've done it three or four times.

Tips:
    1. Download the user manual, there is one which describes taking apart most of the laptop
    2. Get a large table you can take up for a couple hours
    3. Put on some Beethoven
    4. Matchboxes. Lots and lots of 'em. When you take out a piece, put the screws in the matchbox and put them aside with the piece in the order you take it out.
    5. The screws are glued shut with blue loctite, so you need to but a bit of force to it sometimes.
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for all your responses. It's this reason I <3 MF &T :)
    edited January 2011
    spazz wrote: »
    when you fix it. Put totse.info in the girls bookmarks plz
    Hell bro! I'll even give her a Wallpaper.