How to deface and vandalize Billboards [Published]

edited March 2011 in Man Cave
Billboards are everywhere. They're great ways of advertising, loads of people can see them and they're often easily accessible so that workers can update them with relevant advertisements. Thankfully, this also helps people who are looking to vandalize or deface the billboards in certain ways. You might be wondering what the point of this is, but;

Vandalizing and defacing billboards is a brilliant way of conveying a message to the general public.

That is, if you do it correctly. For starters, you need a motive - a reason behind the drama you wish to cause. If you don't have a good reason, then vandalizing a billboard is more likely to be more hassle than it's worth. Then, you're going to need to do the following...

Plan your entrance and exit to the location

Get in and out within the shortest length of time. General Night Ops rules apply here, so read up on stealth and performing a good operation. You need to be wearing the correct clothing, have the correct mindset and tools to get the job done.

If tagging - Work out a suitable method of removing current advertisement

If you're looking to throw up your own message, then you need to get rid of the current one! A simple method is using some black paint and a roller (which you should have brought with you on a previous Op ;)) allowing you to quickly and effectively cover the current design. Once the paint has covered the board (or at least enough of it for you to use), give it a little while to dry. During this time you can be disposing of the paint and paint-roller, or doing something else which is useful. Don't leave these items at the scene.

Other methods may include;
  • Burning the billboard
  • Throwing paint thinner or chemicals at it
  • Physically pulling the advertisement apart

Mix and match, work it out.

Setting fire to a billboard and leaving something at the scene

Here's an idea, and one which might be good enough to get some news coverage. Obtain a backpack - something plain, preferably black with no physical features which can be easily traced or recognized. Inside this bag you will plant your message for police/fire department to find later on. Make it official looking documentation and they'll take it more seriously (which is where the news coverage comes in). Once you've planned and arrived at the scene, throw some petrol around the base of the billboard being sure to douse a lot of it for better flame coverage. Get yourself out of the way, douse a branch in petrol and set fire to it, throwing it onto the billboard. The fire will start at the bottom, burning the whole thing from bottom upwards causing a lot of smoke and flames. If someone doesn't notice this, they'd be blind.

Comments

• Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited January 2011
    Usually billboards are erected in busy areas, so me climbing up on to it with a paint roller and a tin of paint should be easily seen by passers by, especially if billboards are doing their job correctly and getting peoples' attention.

Nevertheless, cool guide bro.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    This is a good guide. Some of the billboards in my town could use a bit of sprucing up. I especially like the fire idea and the backpack idea. The only thing I wonder about is if billboard sheets are made of plastic or some other like material. That would make them hard to tear down by hand and dangerous to burn. I'm not sure about this though.
  • edited January 2011
    Usually billboards are erected in busy areas, so me climbing up on to it with a paint roller and a tin of paint should be easily seen by passers by, especially if billboards are doing their job correctly and getting peoples' attention.

Nevertheless, cool guide bro.

Well, plan yourself another op for the night before. During this one, you can do some recon and also place your tools in a nearby location (including the paint and the roller, or petrol etc). Also, pick an easy location if you're worried! Not all billboards are in hard-to-reach places, and a lot of them can be accessed very easily without any hassle.

Another tip could be to dress up like the workers who use the billboards. You would look authoritive when painting that shit, as if you're actually MEANT to be there.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Well, plan yourself another op for the night before. During this one, you can do some recon and also place your tools in a nearby location (including the paint and the roller, or petrol etc). Also, pick an easy location if you're worried! Not all billboards are in hard-to-reach places, and a lot of them can be accessed very easily without any hassle.

Another tip could be to dress up like the workers who use the billboards. You would look authoritive when painting that shit, as if you're actually MEANT to be there.

Ok, sounds more convincing now :D
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited January 2011
    Billboards are everywhere. They're great ways of advertising, loads of people can see them and they're often easily accessible so that workers can update them with relevant advertisements. Thankfully, this also helps people who are looking to vandalize or deface the billboards in certain ways. You might be wondering what the point of this is, but;

Vandalizing and defacing billboards is a brilliant way of conveying a message to the general public.

That is, if you do it correctly. For starters, you need a motive - a reason behind the drama you wish to cause. If you don't have a good reason, then vandalizing a billboard is more likely to be more hassle than it's worth. Then, you're going to need to do the following...

Plan your entrance and exit to the location

Get in and out within the shortest length of time. General Night Ops rules apply here, so read up on stealth and performing a good operation. You need to be wearing the correct clothing, have the correct mindset and tools to get the job done.

If tagging - Work out a suitable method of removing current advertisement

If you're looking to throw up your own message, then you need to get rid of the current one! A simple method is using some black paint and a roller (which you should have brought with you on a previous Op ;)) allowing you to quickly and effectively cover the current design. Once the paint has covered the board (or at least enough of it for you to use), give it a little while to dry. During this time you can be disposing of the paint and paint-roller, or doing something else which is useful. Don't leave these items at the scene.

Other methods may include;
    • Burning the billboard
    • Throwing paint thinner or chemicals at it
    • Physically pulling the advertisement apart

Mix and match, work it out.

Setting fire to a billboard and leaving something at the scene

Here's an idea, and one which might be good enough to get some news coverage. Obtain a backpack - something plain, preferably black with no physical features which can be easily traced or recognized. Inside this bag you will plant your message for police/fire department to find later on. Make it official looking documentation and they'll take it more seriously (which is where the news coverage comes in). Once you've planned and arrived at the scene, throw some petrol around the base of the billboard being sure to douse a lot of it for better flame coverage. Get yourself out of the way, douse a branch in petrol and set fire to it, throwing it onto the billboard. The fire will start at the bottom, burning the whole thing from bottom upwards causing a lot of smoke and flames. If someone doesn't notice this, they'd be blind.

Good guide, detailed and put together well. I'd be careful though, the last thing I'd want to do is accidentally burn down the Mom 'n Pop business next door and kill their livelihood. Now maybe if it was some greedy ass corporation building, that would be a +1 on that Op.

Maybe I missed it, but what was the backpack for? Just carrying gear? I kinda got the impression you were going to leave it behind (w/o any trace evidence of course) with the some literature in it maybe? That could turn really, really big though when LEO thinks it's a 'suspicious package.' That is somewhat of another idea I have had, if you GWIS. But I won't talk about that on a publicly viewed bbs. You know what the idea is though I'm sure.

Wow I'm delirious, been up since ummm 7am yesterday morning, I think. Been staying up, well half awake I guess on some good H. I keep throwing up though. :P
  • edited January 2011
    The backpack would be a suspicious package which is left at the scene containing documentation, literature or a message or some kind. You would have to go to great lengths to cover up any traces of DNA left on the bag though or you could be fucked.
    edited January 2011
    The backpack would be a suspicious package which is left at the scene containing documentation, literature or a message or some kind. You would have to go to great lengths to cover up any traces of DNA left on the bag though or you could be fucked.

Yeah I don't know how far they would go for DNA. Nucleic Acid analysis costs a few thousand dollars I believe. :confused:

Now if it is something semi-serious they may try to lift a viable finger print on a non-porous surface of the back pack.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    I really like the idea of setting a billboard on fire, and leaving a note with it.

But couldn't you somehow make the billboard burn in a certain way in order to leave a message ie in the shape of a burning cross to piss christians off, and so forth.
  • edited January 2011
    To eradicate the DNA traces, you would have to take no chances. Buy some plastic sheeting to cover the area of surface. Disinfect it while wearing gloves, a hairnet and a hat. Place your backpack onto the sheeting and put your propaganda inside it. I have to mention now that you shouldn't print ANYTHING on a printer which can be traced back to you. After you have put your shit in the bag, zip it up and place it into another bag - preferably a vacuum sealed one to prevent shit from getting through.

Once you have taken it all to the scene, remove it from the vacuum bag and place it on the floor, still wearing multiple gloves and your hairnet/hat. Cut the gloves into shreds and burn them. Burn the plastic. Burn the hat, burn the scissors you used to cut the gloves.

Burn everything.
    edited January 2011
    To eradicate the DNA traces, you would have to take no chances. Buy some plastic sheeting to cover the area of surface. Disinfect it while wearing gloves, a hairnet and a hat. Place your backpack onto the sheeting and put your propaganda inside it. I have to mention now that you shouldn't print ANYTHING on a printer which can be traced back to you. After you have put your shit in the bag, zip it up and place it into another bag - preferably a vacuum sealed one to prevent shit from getting through.

Once you have taken it all to the scene, remove it from the vacuum bag and place it on the floor, still wearing multiple gloves and your hairnet/hat. Cut the gloves into shreds and burn them. Burn the plastic. Burn the hat, burn the scissors you used to cut the gloves.

Burn everything.

A good movie to get tips for this sorta of thing is Murder By Numbers. Anyone seen it? About 6-8 years ago?
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited January 2011
    How about a guide on how to get on the billboard?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    How about a guide on how to get on the billboard?

Ladder.

/guide
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    Hop on the treadmill tubby so you can actually climb up the ladder.

Although grappling hook would be a lot more badass way to do it, and probably stealthier too.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited January 2011
    Hop on the treadmill tubby so you can actually climb up the ladder.

Although grappling hook would be a lot more badass way to do it, and probably stealthier too.

There are some areas where the billboards are at least 75 feet up the pole. I don't think you're going to use grappling hooks on them.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    Dfg, why are reddit posters so gay?
  • edited March 2011
    RemadE wrote: »

Thanks for posting this, I'm pretty sure I've already seen it before but it can't hurt to give it another read. There's a huge billboard nearby which I'd love to go and "improve" :D
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011