Triggering lucid dreams

edited January 2011 in Life
It's awesome to be able to recognize certain things in dreams which trigger lucidity. I just woke up from a dream where I went to my girlfriend's house and the staircase was on the wrong side of the room. It was also a totally different color, so I called her brother out on it and said "why is the staircase in a different place?" He responded as if he was scared that I noticed, almost as if I was in his dream world which he had made, saying "I... Don't know..." I walked over to him, and hit him in the face with a book.

It's important to look out for these triggers when dreaming. Lucid dreaming is totally amazing, and it's also pretty easy to get in to.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Damn, I don't dream much. Most of my dreams end up in me fighting a Demon or giant spiders or dark shadows. And my dreams are fucking intense. My heat pumps up and my body gets fucking alert and I am usually left with a deep sensation of anger or fear. The first I do when I wake up is turn on the lights. Nowadays I sleep with some light on. It's not that I am afraid of it, it's just a bother trying to control it.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    I tried lucid dreaming last night by imagining a scene really vividly. On a spaceship, to be precise, then panicked, jumped and realised I stopped breathing. Not doing that again. It seemed like forever.
  • edited January 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Damn, I don't dream much. Most of my dreams end up in me fighting a Demon or giant spiders or dark shadows. And my dreams are fucking intense. My heat pumps up and my body gets fucking alert and I am usually left with a deep sensation of anger or fear. The first I do when I wake up is turn on the lights. Nowadays I sleep with some light on. It's not that I am afraid of it, it's just a bother trying to control it.

You actually dream every single night, you just probably don't remember it at all. The bad dreams stand out to you more because they're easier to remember because of their frightening content.

You'd probably benefit from trying to remember any details at all from dreams you have, and building up your ability to recall dreams. Then you might find yourself remembering the good ones more often :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    You actually dream every single night, you just probably don't remember it at all. The bad dreams stand out to you more because they're easier to remember because of their frightening content.

You'd probably benefit from trying to remember any details at all from dreams you have, and building up your ability to recall dreams. Then you might find yourself remembering the good ones more often :D

Good idea. I would love to relive a sleazy dream :D
  • edited January 2011
    If you want to improve dream recall, maintaining something called a "Dream Journal" will help you greatly. It's also the foundations for beginning to lucid dream, which is awesome. I kept a dream journal for a while and it certainly helped, and you just get better at remembering them with some practice anyway.
  • edited January 2011
    I've found going to sleep when I'm sober makes me remember my dreams more often than if I go to bed high, drunk or both.

Also, another good way to "wake up" inside a dream is to look at a clock, look away and look back again. Generally the time will be very different since it isn't actually flowing, or if it's analog the numbers may be all fucked up.
  • edited January 2011
    I've found going to sleep when I'm sober makes me remember my dreams more often than if I go to bed high, drunk or both.

Also, another good way to "wake up" inside a dream is to look at a clock, look away and look back again. Generally the time will be very different since it isn't actually flowing, or if it's analog the numbers may be all fucked up.

Looking at text works too. Look at some text, look away, and then check the text again. It will often be different, or distorted etc.

Looking at the time is good, but it only (apparently) works on analog watches. If it's a digital one, it's likely to remain the same.
  • edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Looking at text works too. Look at some text, look away, and then check the text again. It will often be different, or distorted etc.

Looking at the time is good, but it only (apparently) works on analog watches. If it's a digital one, it's likely to remain the same.

Good points. Sometimes I've dreamt I was reading a book, got distracted, and when I looked back I was reading a completely different one.

I've been able to tell when I was dreaming with an analog clock although I'm not sure how reliable it is. The numbers were normal but at second glance they were weird looking alien type characters.
  • edited January 2011
    It's important to be able to recognize this sort of thing when you're dreaming, so make sure you know for sure that books aren't meant to look different etc.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited January 2011
    I tend to get rather vivid dreams at least 3 times a week, although if I don't write it down they tend to fade. The only times I get even slightly lucid in a dream is when I am taking drugs in the dream. For some reason when dreaming up an LSD trip I suddenly philosophize my way into lucidity... then I wake up and get pissed off.
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited January 2011
    I've never been able to trigger a lucid dream, however they still occur very rarely. The last I had I was in a hardware store before realising it was a dream. Then I raped a chick in the middle of an aisle. Man I'm lame :facepalm: