Fuck history class

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Fuck history class. The only things they teach us is politics of the past. I don't know about you but I don't give a shit about old politics.

They should teach a useful and interesting curriculum. Teach about how people lived. What did little Jhonny do for fun in the 20s, the 40s, the 60s? Teach about how technology advanced, how the steel plow and how the radio, then the TV changed America. Teach about the wars and the collection of metal for the great war. Teach about the protests of the 'nam war. Teach about how "the pill" completely changed the course of history, and all the propaganda that led to the ban on narcotics. Teach about how people used to work, what they did in the factories and hat they made. Teach about how businesses came about, like how Edison General Electric and the Thomas Houston Electric Company merged to form GE. Teach about how Richard Warren Sears sold pocket watches when the railroad companies made time zones, and how he invented the mail order catalog and started Sears, Roebuck and Co. Teach about how Nikola Tesla gave electricity to the masses and invented the radio and robotics. Teach about how Ettore Boiardi fed soldiers his "chef boyardee" meals during world war II. Teach stuff that's interesting, and teach stuff that matters!

Comments

• MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yea my history teacher mostly focused on social issues such as slavery. It sucked because I wanted to learn about wars and shit, but it was pretty interesting learning about the rebellions.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yea my history teacher mostly focused on social issues such as slavery. It sucked because I wanted to learn about wars and shit, but it was pretty interesting learning about the rebellions.

College in particularly focuses heavily on "Slavery" and "Womans Suffrage". Both are decent issues I guess, but they don't need to be stressed for an entire term. That's a waste of fucking life space that we've already been brainwashed into feeling guilt tripped for 12 years of our lives before. I find the way they teach history classes on both those subjects actually help breed more hate toward the white man, a typical liberal agenda in which college is 90% liberal dominated.

The 20th century is the only thing that fucking matters in our current lifetime, everything thats happened in the past 100 years is what is going to shape our generation, not the fucking 1800's or 1700's. That type of animosity is far less significant than what the U.S. is currently doing. Our past 100 years in history has fucked the rest of the world over in realizing their century old feuds were bullshit compared to what America is doing to the entire world political spectrum.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    I remember learning more about history with the Age of Empires games and such than the classes themselves. History is a very interesting subject imo, except that most of the time the teachers would rather read some textbook shit they didn't care about instead of asking questions and explaining things little things like OP.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited January 2011
    I probably would have enjoyed school more if they had done stuff like that.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    I'm a History undergrad and I completely agree. People don't want stuffy old men arguing over the fall of Rome. With history you do eventually learn about the sociological, anthropological and psychological role of people and history in general. It gets very Postmodernist.

Stick at it. Who knows.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011
    My history class was pretty damn fun. We spent most of the time learning about how technology tied into tactics and weaponry in WW1 and 2. Of course, we did a lot of stuff about past economies like Stalinist russia and all that.

I also did a class in historiography. A little intimidating at first, but quite interesting once you get the hang of it
  • IndulgenceIndulgence Regular
    edited January 2011
    My history professor is interesting. Sucks to be you guys.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    Same here. I was luckily struck with an old man who didn't give a shit about the BOE's curriculum.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
  • edited February 2011
    You guys are fucking stupid to think the only history that matters today is 20th century history. Just think, if it weren't for the Battle of Tours and the Battle of Vienna (732 and 1529 AD respectively, and therefore not important according to RemadE and LSA king) we'd be living under brutal jizzlamic rule, and probably never would have advanced beyond 12th century science like the rest of the moslem world. There's a reason they have to use our airplanes to attack us.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited February 2011
    You guys are fucking stupid to think the only history that matters today is 20th century history. Just think, if it weren't for the Battle of Tours and the Battle of Vienna (732 and 1529 AD respectively, and therefore not important according to RemadE and LSA king) we'd be living under brutal jizzlamic rule, and probably never would have advanced beyond 12th century science like the rest of the moslem world. There's a reason they have to use our airplanes to attack us.

Nobody is saying it isn't important, of course history of all sorts is important. What we're saying is that focusing months on one particular section and and topic is fucking ridiculous when it's a General History class. There was a fuck load more than Slavery and the Civil War that happened from 1800-1920. Only covering Slavery, Womens Rights (especially when there is already a course dedicated to this), and the Civil War is just insulting to the American intellect that we can only comprehend the "biggies" of what happened in half our nations history.

It's fucking embarrassing more like it. How about learning the consequences of the Industrial Revolution which effected urbanization, food production, our economic status, global implications and ultimately lead to the Great Depression shortly after 1920. Things like The Great Depression didn't happen overnight and can be traced to issues 10, 20, up to 40 years previously leading to that disaster which we are repeating now.

Time is history and time is continuous, to brush so many major issues we are dealing with TODAY to focus on 3 biggies is my problem. Everything that is today is traced back decades or centuries before and you don't hear a damn peep. I would love to actually learn more about Battle of Tours and the Battle of Vienna, but I don't want to focus an entire quarter or semester of college to just that area, lets learn a bit of everything and put it together so we can see the BIGGER picture. American history is like getting head, right when it gets really good, she stops and walks away, leaving you with your dick in your hand.
  • IndulgenceIndulgence Regular
    edited February 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    American history is like getting head, right when it gets really good, she stops and walks away, leaving you with your dick in your hand.

Girls do this? :confused:

Anyway, read Lies My Teacher Told Me. Far more informative than any history class unless your professor is a boss like mine.
  • edited February 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    Nobody is saying it isn't important, of course history of all sorts is important. What we're saying is that focusing months on one particular section and and topic is fucking ridiculous when it's a General History class. There was a fuck load more than Slavery and the Civil War that happened from 1800-1920. Only covering Slavery, Womens Rights (especially when there is already a course dedicated to this), and the Civil War is just insulting to the American intellect that we can only comprehend the "biggies" of what happened in half our nations history.

It's fucking embarrassing more like it. How about learning the consequences of the Industrial Revolution which effected urbanization, food production, our economic status, global implications and ultimately lead to the Great Depression shortly after 1920. Things like The Great Depression didn't happen overnight and can be traced to issues 10, 20, up to 40 years previously leading to that disaster which we are repeating now.

Time is history and time is continuous, to brush so many major issues we are dealing with TODAY to focus on 3 biggies is my problem. Everything that is today is traced back decades or centuries before and you don't hear a damn peep. I would love to actually learn more about Battle of Tours and the Battle of Vienna, but I don't want to focus an entire quarter or semester of college to just that area, lets learn a bit of everything and put it together so we can see the BIGGER picture. American history is like getting head, right when it gets really good, she stops and walks away, leaving you with your dick in your hand.

In that case I agree with you. Goddamn American History classes through middle and high school, they always had to pander to the token redskin in the back of the room and go on and on about how wonderful the NATIV UHMERICUNS were before the big mean Europeans got here :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Yeah, primitive barbarians who couldn't figure out how a wheel works were real advanced. They were conquered by the better people, GET OVER IT. Anyways, we would waste so much time talking about pre-Columbian America that the furthest I ever recall a history class going was to Reconstruction, where we were regaled with tales of nigger ingenuity, including peanut butter which as it turns out was not invented by a nigger. Go figure.
  • edited February 2011
    Vizier wrote: »
    I remember learning more about history with the Age of Empires games and such than the classes themselves.

that's cuz you're in fucking mexico you piece of shit. they don't have real schools in mexico
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited February 2011
    The part about history class is When they go over religion (i.e. christianity) and stick with it for months at a time.