Learning about engines and vehicles

edited February 2011 in Man Cave
Where should I start when learning about how engines and vehicles work? I want to eventually progress onto topics such as engine modification and performance tuning, because I find it all pretty interesting.

I've tried Wikipedia and general Googling, but a lot of it is quite in-depth and overwhelming for a newbie.

Help please? :D

Comments

• DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    Recips, turboprops, turbofans, GTEs!?!?!?!

AIRCRAFTS?? YES?
  • Mr. MooMr. Moo Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    The best thing i could say is take a shop class in hs or college.
    Alot of car modification depends on they type of car ur going with. Do you want more of a muscle car or a ricer? Or are ya trying to jack up a truck for offroading?
  • edited January 2011
    Mr. Moo wrote: »
    The best thing i could say is take a shop class in hs or college.
    Alot of car modification depends on they type of car ur going with. Do you want more of a muscle car or a ricer? Or are ya trying to jack up a truck for offroading?

A class isn't possible and it's not really what I want to do. I want some reading material, and I'll probably take the knowledge along with me for when I eventually find a car to look at.

I'm not currently modifying anything, I just want to learn things to begin with.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    Find somebody who does a lot of tinkering with cars and ask him if you can hang around while he's working on them to give him a hand and ask questions. That's probably the quickest way to get some practical hands-on knowledge about cars.

Edit: make sure you at least know the basics of how an engine and a car work. If you don't know the difference between a crankshaft and a camshaft he's probably not going to bother explaining, but if you know a little, he'll probably be glad to tell you more about it.
  • muffinsmuffins Regular
    edited January 2011
    MY sugesstion would be to pick up a book on lawnmower engines. all the same principles and only one cylinder. very simple to understand and itll get your feet wet.
  • edited February 2011
    muffins wrote: »
    MY sugesstion would be to pick up a book on lawnmower engines. all the same principles and only one cylinder. very simple to understand and itll get your feet wet.

That's actually not a bad idea, even if it did make me chuckle :D Good idea bro.

I'll take all of these ideas into consideration and see if I can learn a thing or two. Thanks for the help!
  • edited February 2011
    Don't bother brah. Everything is computerized now, cars look like goddamn robots when you pop the hood.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited February 2011
    muffins wrote: »

^^ This. Then get a junk engine from an old lawnmower and pull it apart.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited February 2011
    I agree on the Lawnmower engine book, but I found it much more fun and rewarding just playing around with an old minibike with a 5?HP briggs. I had that shit past 70mph passing cars on the highway with folded gutter sheet metal holding the front fork on and we built it ourselves not knowing shit about engines. Fucking sore losers with their sledgehammers. Those were the days. Going out clean as a whistle, and going home with an 1/8" of grease covering my arms and legs, but knowing you were the best.