How many totseans...

edited February 2011 in Tech & Games
How many of you are actually interested in this side of the forum at the moment? It's such a great idea to have a forum which specializes in network insecurity, breaking the defence, etc. Unfortunately, it's also one of the less used sections, which makes me sad :(

But seriously, is hacking and cracking something you'd like to get involved with? Maybe even anonymity, privacy, learning how to raid or piss people off, etc.

If there's anything you want to know, then ask.

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    i wouldnt mind learning the basics of hacking and cracking as i'm not that familiar with that sort of thing
  • edited February 2011
    i wouldnt mind learning the basics of hacking and cracking as i'm not that familiar with that sort of thing

Alright. Anything particular that you're interested in? Also, would you like to learn the basics on Windows, or dive into a Linux based OS?
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Alright. Anything particular that you're interested in? Also, would you like to learn the basics on Windows, or dive into a Linux based OS?

Breaking into networks more than anything, and either windows or linux as i use both (mainly ubuntu at the moment)
  • edited February 2011
    Alright. I'll add a few things to the guide suggestion thread and I might write some more guides on the subject soon. I'll get on with the WEP Cracking guide soon.

Look into port scanning and finding vulnerabilities. Once you're on a network, you can run port scans and find vulnerable machines, allowing you to bury yourself further in the system. Consider using Backtrack Linux and getting familiar with how it works. Read up on the Metasploit Framework and how you can use it to break into machines.

^ All of that was a little rambled and messy, but it will help in the long run when people are looking to write guides.

Everyone - keep your suggestions coming.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited February 2011
    I'm interested but I honestly don't know anything about hacking or cracking. I too would like to become much more familiar for networking purposes.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    I'd love a retard-proof guide on how to reverse engineer. Like how people crack games and programs to get rid of the nag screens. I've googled around but the applications such as SoftIce and OllyDBG confuse the shit out of me and/or don't work on Windoze 7.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited February 2011
    What I'm most interested in is security: keeping you guys out of my system. I know the basics, but I don't know much more than that and I don't have the time to learn much more ATM.
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited February 2011
    I know a fair bit about online anonymity. Perhaps enough to write a guide if I could be fucked. Maybe someday..
  • edited February 2011
    I know a fair bit about online anonymity. Perhaps enough to write a guide if I could be fucked. Maybe someday..

Write that guide! It will be worth it, honestly.

It seems as though everyone wants to learn the basics. I'm not entirely sure what the basics are exactly, but I'll try and piece some ideas together. I suppose knowing your way around a Windows operating system helps a lot, so that's probably something which people could work on learning. A lot of it involves penetration testing, and at the very basics this could be no more than gaining access to the C:\ drive on a restricted computer, or knowing how to make a new account on a system without having access to the box. Things like that?

And then you've got the basic advanced stuff, such as WEP cracking with Backtrack Linux and network sniffing.