Need Input

DfgDfg Admin
edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
So, I finally decided to start working on totse again :)

Here was the main page I was working on.

http://www.totse.info/cms/404.html

Need some feedback etc. I correct some issues and I am using different CSS files for different browsers.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Is this the main page to the site, or the main CMS page?

First thing I noticed was that I had to allow it through noscript or else the whole page wouldn't load :D
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited February 2011
    The article heading should be @ the top
    The articles creator should be bold and above the date.
    Perhaps the date should be in a smaller font and not bold.
    A small portion of the article would be a good thing or perhaps a summary of what
    the article is about. This would get a target audience interested. I like to call it.
    "The trap door" :p
    The title is the main attraction, therefore it should be the first. If anyone is gonna search google "how to make sausages" The title will always be the first to be sourced by google.
    This would be the layout I'd be looking at. :)

Title, Name, Date, Summary, Link
    By dr rocker
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 - 9:14 PM

Some of the sausages you buy in the shops are decent. Some of them are filth. It depends on what you pay. A year or two ago a supermarket in the UK advertised the launch of a 'sausage' that contained 15% meat products and over 80% breadcrumb filler. In the UK, you can try to be safe in what you eat as things are labelled pretty well to let you know what is in them and not only is organic controlled by associations but by national and european law, it is consistent and if some thing is labelled organic we know it is, rather than in other countries of the world where organic certification of food can be some what hit and miss. >> read more
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Nope, it isn't for the CMS. This is the main page. I am using RSS to Text since I can't really move CMS folder to the root folder. This is the best I can do at the moment.

Bk thanks for the tips. You rock!
  • edited February 2011
    I feel as though it's a bit of an information overload to be honest. Any chance you could minimize the amount of text on the screen, and give it a bit more structure?

I also feel as though it should have no scroll-bars. You shouldn't need to scroll down to view all the information on a website's homepage.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Hmm, you got a point. I will work on BK CMS layout and then copy things from there.

OR, I will just make the CMS the mainpage and go from there. [After redoing everything]
  • edited February 2011
    Will we still maintain the original site structure? By this, I mean having "this just in" as our home-page, with some new articles on. Then on the left, the FAQ, a page about the site, etc.
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited February 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Will we still maintain the original site structure? By this, I mean having "this just in" as our home-page, with some new articles on. Then on the left, the FAQ, a page about the site, etc.

I like this idea. :thumbsup:
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited February 2011
    The Articles column has the exact same articles as centered on the home page. Are two links really necessary? I think this might lead a visitor to believe that there isn't much more information other than these articles.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    ^Good point!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Hmm, I worked with the CMS CSS a bit.
    http://www.totse.info/cms/node?page=1

Trying to implement BK theme but it's a bit hard to work out :).

Will start work main page.
  • edited February 2011
    Yo, I like the idea of the white on a darker background. What I suggest is that you use CSS to round the edges of the boxes to make it look nicer (or shitter, just try it :D)

Check here for info - http://www.css3.info/preview/rounded-border/
    edited February 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Hmm, I worked with the CMS CSS a bit.
    http://www.totse.info/cms/node?page=1

Trying to implement BK theme but it's a bit hard to work out :).

Will start work main page.

With RamadEs article, the spacing can be tightened up in the html by placing the article content between one set of <p>s instead of a separate <p> per sentence. A <b /> tag will work.
    I think changes need to be made to the html to tidy up the article intros.
    Some text will be bold if you do this, so some minor tweaking in the css will sort that issue out.
    Or you could PM me what you got so far. With a description of the layout you'd like. :) :thumbsup:
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited February 2011
    I demand all font be in helvetica.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Yo, I like the idea of the white on a darker background. What I suggest is that you use CSS to round the edges of the boxes to make it look nicer (or shitter, just try it :D)

Thanks working on it.
    bornkiller wrote: »
    With RamadEs article, the spacing can be tightened up in the html by placing the article content between one set of <p>s instead of a separate <p> per sentence. A <b /> tag will work.
    I think changes need to be made to the html to tidy up the article intros.
    Some text will be bold if you do this, so some minor tweaking in the css will sort that issue out.
    Or you could PM me what you got so far. With a description of the layout you'd like. :) :thumbsup:

I think the spacing you see is due to the contributor/poster adding it while using the editor. I can remove the spacing by editing the content or by telling thewanderer to remove the space when he posts a new article.
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    I demand all font be in helvetica.
    As you wish.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
    wtf no helvetica bullshit pl0x :mad:

COMIC SANS!
  • edited February 2011
    ^ You best be trollin' Mayberry... :D

We all know that Verdana is the best font.
    edited February 2011
    wingdings
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2011
    Is there anyway you can separate the list of articles with a line or something? Something like the <hr> tag.
  • edited February 2011

Not sure if this matters but this won't work in older browsers.

As a web designer for businesses I have to make sure they work in older browsers. Not sure if that really applies here. It shouldn't but just a heads up.
  • edited February 2011

As a web designer for businesses I have to make sure they work in older browsers. Not sure if that really applies here. It shouldn't but just a heads up.

True, but how many people are actually running shitty old browsers anymore? I'm pretty sure even older versions of Mozilla will support it :D And for those who have an older browser, then maybe they should get with the times :D
    edited February 2011

The layout of this this page is css3 :D
  • edited February 2011
    I loathe you for not having to make shit work in old versions of IE. It's a pain in the ass. I'm going to start visiting this site in IE6 and complain about things that don't look right. :angry:
    edited February 2011
    I loathe you for not having to make shit work in old versions of IE. It's a pain in the ass. I'm going to start visiting this site in IE6 and complain about things that don't look right. :angry:
    Oh hang on! Let me fire up the old Delorean and I'll come with you. :rolleyes:
  • edited February 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    Oh hang on! Let me fire up the old Delorean and I'll come with you. :rolleyes:

I wish companies would get in the Delorean and come up to where everyone else is at.
  • ScuDScuD Regular
    edited February 2011
    edited February 2011
    I wish companies would get in the Delorean and come up to where everyone else is at.
    It never ceases to amaze me how a lot of companies have a hard time letting go of the past. It's amazing how many of them still run XP. :(