Self Image

SophiaSandboxSophiaSandbox Regular
edited July 2010 in Life
This is NOT supposed to be some weird whiny emo shit:

Does anyone else feel that, they wouldn't want to be with anyone that would want to be with them because your self esteem is so shot?
Like "Ick they must be REALLY fucked in the head to want to touch ME"
Ya know?
How does this make sense to someone.
Someone shrink my head yo

Who else has crazy self esteem issues? What do you often tell yourself or believe about yourself?

Comments

• Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    I have no idea what you're talking about. As long as they like me for me, I'm happy :)
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    If I ever feel nervous about a situation, I put myself into a solipsist's mindset. I say that everything around me is a figment of my imagination, so if something happens, the only person that would care is myself, and I don't really care.

Sounds quite 'excessive', for lack of better word, but it's quite calming. Overall, my self-esteem is quite good. There's just those times when something's bound to go wrong.
  • HippieTrippieHippieTrippie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    If I ever feel nervous about a situation, I put myself into a solipsist's mindset. I say that everything around me is a figment of my imagination, so if something happens, the only person that would care is myself, and I don't really care.

That will work temporarily, but really all you are doing is avoiding the problem.

OP, I have never personally felt like that, but I understand what you are saying and it isn't that uncommon. In fact, I once fancied a girl who thought exactly that. It didn't work out, and I don't have much good advice, but I can tell you, what might work (Did for her self-esteem) is to just sit, breathe, and think everything is the way it is suppose to be, and in the end, everything will work out right. Do that every time you feel overwhelmed or really down on yourself and then pick up and go with the flow of things.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    That will work temporarily, but really all you are doing is avoiding the problem.

Of course. I do it mainly to calm myself before stressful situations such as an interview. Afterwards, I'm able to look back and say "Hey, that wasn't so bad."

It's a decent way to get around self-esteem problems at times, but as you said, it is by no means a permanent, long term fix.
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm perfect. :cool:
  • edited July 2010
    makes sense to me, OP. I feel the same way a lot of the time.
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited July 2010
    You are projecting your issues about yourself on to that person. Think why should I want them instead.