Considering a Drastic Career Change

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited March 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I have recently been given the possible opportunity of a lifetime in the for of a career change. Currently I work as a cook which I enjoy and the pay is is OK for living comfortably and saving. Tonight I was offered a career as a glorified delivery boy. I would be driving across states picking up and delivering loads but would not be driving an 18 Wheeler so the extra liscense would not be necessary.

DOS forces all drivers to keep a log of time spent driving and resting which prohibits over 10 hours of straight driving and less than 8 hours of sleeping. This job would afford me seeing the country and would pay twice as much as I'm making now. The vehicle would be paid for by the company as would fuel. My only financial worries outside of emergencies would be my phone bill and eating. I would be on the road for weeks sometimes but I've never had a problem with long drives, having visited relatives many hours away every year and my 2 1/2 day journey back home after living in California. My problem is seeing cons in making this decision. Here is my list so far:
  • Boredom
  • Long hours on the road
  • No more home cooked meals
  • The dangers of being on the road constantly
  • Sleep deprivation (if needed)
  • Not as much time for totse
  • Leaving everything I know behind

I haven't made a decision on this yet. I am going to be talking to a lot of people to get their opinions and would like your unbiased opinions as well. Please share any pros and cons you might think of.

Comments

• BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited February 2011
    Stay off the road, thats the only good advice i have.

Its not worth it.

And i still think your a fag/
  • edited February 2011
    Do it, everyone gets out of the kitchen eventually, or they die there metaphorically or literally. That sounds like an awesome gig, and your worries seem well founded, but easily overcome. I am sure you can put together a travel bag with enough culinary content to keep you amused food wise. The dangers of the road are self evident, and trading your down for up might be tempting, but, well, you know.

As for leaving everything you know behind, sometimes this sucks, but sometimes it is very liberating as well, I have done it a few times.

Good luck.

C/O
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited February 2011
    And i still think your a fag/

I don't remember you saying so in the first place.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited February 2011
    I don't remember you saying so in the first place.

i didnt call you a fag?

Im sorry i thought i did.

anyway, There go Faggot you earned your

gay stripe/
    edited February 2011
    You said to stay off the road. Why? Its not worth it isn't exactly a specific reason.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
    Turn tricks.
    edited February 2011
    Update:
    I have decided to take the job. I'm saving money and will be selling most of my belongings at the end of March. Around mid to late April I will start working. I'm excited and will be using a CB radio.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    You need to get a laptop with a broadband mobile device.
    edited February 2011
    Already have that. Actually I use my phone for Totse 98% of the time. I need a new laptop, the port for the AC adapter wont charge after the charger is removed and reinserted. It only stays charged after getting a full charge on standby and leaving it plugged in.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    OK, kewl, as long as you don't drop off the face of the earth good luck and happy travels. I spent most of my 20 and 30 moving from state to state. I once spent 2 weeks traveling with the "big trucks" and while I knew then that that was not the life for me the time to do that would be when one was younger.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited February 2011
    Hopefully it will not end like Vanishing Point.

Use the travelling to move crontaband around if there is still any profit in that trade/
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm glad to see you took the job. I would have and I think driving around the country and seeing/meeting all sorts of people would be the funnest part. I think its especially ...uh...special if you don't have anything to tie you down or to feel bad about leaving behind. All of today's technology is about portability so I think you'll be just fine

good luck to ya and looking forward to some interesting/entertaining stories.
  • inappropriphiliacinappropriphiliac Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    Do it, get an aircard and you can stop every once in a while to check your computer stuff. It'll be just like home. I was a cabbie doing the am shift for two years, aside from tuning out drunk people all night it was a worthwhile thing to do. Just watch out for your health by eating well and you'll be fine.
  • PhilosoraptorPhilosoraptor Regular
    edited February 2011
    Don't know how old you are, but if your young, no gf or responsibilities, great opportunity to see the country. Glad your taking the opportunity man
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited March 2011
    Terrible. Don't work at a job. You only work for someone else's dreams. That's why the state came up with minimum wage. Don't do what society tells you to do. Find another route.
    edited March 2011
    Well it is official. I put in my two weeks notice two days ago and my fiancée and I are moving on the 15th of April. Thanks for your insight. Wish me luck.
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited March 2011
    Well it is official. I put in my two weeks notice two days ago and my fiancée and I are moving on the 15th of April. Thanks for your insight. Wish me luck.

Does your gf get to go with you? i know sometimes they can. woohoo good luck!
    edited March 2011
    Yes she does. She will be dealing with the paperwork and I'll do all the driving. I fucking hate paperwork.