Potentially Hazardous Foods

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited May 2011 in Life
I am not a chef, however the food industry has played a major role in my life as my father was a Sous Chef and my mother worked at several different restaurants, fast food places and diners. I followed suite and became a cook so although I do not have the qualifications of a chef I am ServSafe certified. This means that I know a lot about properly serving food safely without the risk of really scary illnesses such as e coli and salmonella. With this knowledge I am capable of making a short and simply guide to properly storing your potentially hazardous foods.

What are the PHFs? (Potentially Hazardous Foods)

Basically a PHF is any food that will go bad if left out and eventually rot even in your refrigerator. All PHFs contain protein and moisture. Here is a list of most of them:
  • Meat
  • Poultry
  • Dairy Products
  • Eggs
  • Vegetables
  • Cooked pasta
  • Seafood
  • Tofu
  • Heat Treated Vegetables (rice, beans, ect)

Of course any meal you make using any of these will be a PHF whether it is a sandwich or casserole. Many store bought products such as condiments like ketchup and mustard have ingredients derived from PHFs but because of the amount of preservatives added to them do not need to be refrigerated. Always check anything you bought from the store for instructions on storage.

Bacteria

Anytime a PHF is in the range of 5° C (41° F) to 60° C (167° F) for an extended period of time (2 hours at 60° C, 4 at 5° C) it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. This is what causes people to become sick with food illnesses. If you have "food poisoning" then you'll know it. The symptoms of a food related illness are: vomiting, fever, diarrhea, aching muscles, headache and stomach cramps. E coli generally passes after a week or two; if you think you have salmonella check your stool for blood. Some varieties of salmonella can cause typhoid fever which can sometimes be fatal. To ensure that you kill all bacteria when cooking food the core temperature of the food must reach 70° C (158° F) for at least 2 minutes. This is a good reason to own a cooking thermometer.

Storage

You should of course store your PHFs in (where else?) your refrigerator. In order to stop the spread of bacteria the optimum temperature that you should keep in your fridge is 4° C (40° F). At this temperature the bacteria cannot survive but even one degree higher and you might as well have left your food on the table. When deciding where to place your PHFs in the fridge there are a few things that you have to take into consideration. Stacking unlike PHFs is a big "no no". You should never put a container of beef directly on top of a container of tuna or a mixed salad. While the bacteria cannot survive in 4° C it doesn't die immediately and if your container isn't airtight it can easily contaminate the other PHF. Keep seafood, dairy and beef on different shelves or in different compartments of your refrigerator. If you don't have enough room then it's probably time to clean out the leftovers. Most refrigerators have a built in crisper drawer or two for keeping vegetables. Here are examples of a properly and improperly stocked refrigerator:

Proper
plastics_in_refrigerator.jpg

Improper
food_storage.jpg

That is all for now. Hope this guide helped you in some way or that you at least learned something from it; thanks for reading anyway if you didn't.

Comments

• JackJack Regular
    edited September 2010
    Rice and beans are not vegetables.

Good stuff to know though.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    ive never followed those rules.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    My fridge looks like the one at the bottom. Except it has no sausage. :(
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/howto/comments/d9wqc/guide_potentially_hazardous_foods/

I didn't know about PHF rules. Thanks for this guide!
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah that makes me feel good that my mommy raised me to keep the fridge organised :)
  • edited September 2010
    I hope everyone reads your post. Most forms of food poisoning, excepting those caused by toxins created in the food by bacteria, take over 24 hours to develop symptoms, but people still tend to blame the last restaurant meal they had. Restaurants are clean compared to most peoples kitchens, when was the last time a federal inspector went through your home kitchen? My work kitchen was inspected last week and only recieved one violaton, for "exposed wood siding", and a "very low" hazard rating. How many dirty sponges on home kitchen sinks have caused food poisoning that was later blamed on restaurants?
  • edited January 2011
    My roomate just spent the day in the john trying to barf up his spleen, so I am going to bump this and stick it for a while, hopefully it will help prevent food poisoning among the totse rank and file.
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • edited January 2011
    It's cute of you to bump an old thread in your forum to try to generate discussion, but it's also pretty dangerous these days.

Countdown to a -SpectraL derailing of this thread... 5...4...3...

True, but the info is good, and spec can derail all he wants, the info is there regardless of anything he posts, I just might derail it myself by saying that after the flogging my girlfriend gave me earlier, I am pretty much desensitized to butthurt anyway.

I do hope some discussion of food safety issues ensues though. A good place to start would be anything anyone feels was omitted from the guide.....
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    I hope everyone reads your post. Most forms of food poisoning, excepting those caused by toxins created in the food by bacteria, take over 24 hours to develop symptoms, but people still tend to blame the last restaurant meal they had. Restaurants are clean compared to most peoples kitchens, when was the last time a federal inspector went through your home kitchen? My work kitchen was inspected last week and only recieved one violaton, for "exposed wood siding", and a "very low" hazard rating. How many dirty sponges on home kitchen sinks have caused food poisoning that was later blamed on restaurants?

Food poisoning fucking sucks. The only time I got it was when me and a buddy decided to cook some shrimp while stoned. This turned out to be a terrible mistake. That shrimp had gone bad a while ago. and I have never been that sick in my life.

The burning feeling I had in my stomach was like nothing I've ever felt and I ended up spending the day on the toilet with a trashcan to puke in. I would have honestly welcomed death at that point it was that bad. Fuck food poisoning. Thanks for the guide OP.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    I just noticed the ladle sticking out of the dish in the proper storage picture. Don't do that. Store your food in air tight containers and remove all kitchen utensils. Also when going through your fridge if you don't know whether something has gone bad you should get rid of it. When in doubt, throw it out.
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited March 2011
    I've never gotten food poisoning before but I'm paranoid

*off to organize the fridge.*
  • lazybumlazybum Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    My fridge is empty... :(:(:(:(:(:(
    idk how to cook god damn this is why its so much harder to maintain a healthy diet
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited March 2011
    It's actually sometimes OK..to leave out food. I mean seriously, if you eat clean food all the time, you're going to get sick for a while! it's good to build up a tolerance. I am not saying to eat rotten food..but leaving it out on the table, covered, is fine to eat :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2011
    Lethargica wrote: »
    It's actually sometimes OK..to leave out food. I mean seriously, if you eat clean food all the time, you're going to get sick for a while! it's good to build up a tolerance. I am not saying to eat rotten food..but leaving it out on the table, covered, is fine to eat :rolleyes:

There are a lot of foods that are okay at room temperature, anything with a high enough salt content, or a low enough PH will usually be okay. Sushi rice has to be kept around 10c or it loses texture, but the acid from the rice vinegar prevents spoilage.

The real danger is when there is a source of contamination, if there is no initial contamination, food will be fine if left at room temperature for quite a while. However it is difficult to pinpoint all the possible sources for bacteria in a given setting. Lets say you ordered some chow mein, ate half right out of the container, and left it on the counter overnight. The microbes transferred from your mouth, to the fork, to the leftover food in the container could spend the night making sweet love in your chow mein, and as you dig on it for breakfast the next day you are eating all the toxins produced by those bacteria as they bred, and the bacteria as well. You could have an interesting afternoon at work wondering why your guts feel funny and you can't stop pooping.

C/O
  • edited April 2011
    My fridge does not look up to snuff...

I was always under the impression that (at least here in Canada) one of the major causes of food poisoning was improperly handled cantaloupes??
  • StephsBackStephsBack Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    I agree with Lethargica. People who don't expose themselves to germs in small doses risk nasty food poisoning. That's kinda the idea behind immunisation right? Small dose to create tolerance and immunity?
  • JackJack Regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're thinking of vaccination, that works by administering killed or weakened viruses so that the immune system can recognize and learn from them while not being overwhelmed by them.

I don't really see any point in deliberately eating contaminated food. Sure, maybe what doesn't kill you will make you stronger -- though I'm not sure of it in this case -- but why, if you aren't going to have to eat contaminated food a lot?
  • StephsBackStephsBack Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    Not eating it on purpose that's for sure. I was bought up by a neat/germ freak, hence not being exposed to any germs. When I moved out, naturally I was a bit messy, and started eating a lot of take away - then I began to get sick, constantly. The doctor said it was because I wasn't used to the germs. I figure that hygiene practices left in the hands of puberty stricken morons (not all puberty stricken persons are morons, but some, especially bleach blonde num nuts) who get paid minimum wage probably skip a few things every now and again in their clean up and food prep practices.
  • edited May 2011
    I love my immune system. I'm always forgetting to wash my hands after being outside touching things (no, not my cock), getting my hands a bit dirty, then eating. I dunno, I've been doing it for years now, and there's no damage done. I used to eat a lot of toys and things when I was a baby too, so that probably helped.
  • edited May 2011
    StephsBack wrote: »
    Not eating it on purpose that's for sure. I was bought up by a neat/germ freak, hence not being exposed to any germs. When I moved out, naturally I was a bit messy, and started eating a lot of take away - then I began to get sick, constantly. The doctor said it was because I wasn't used to the germs. I figure that hygiene practices left in the hands of puberty stricken morons (not all puberty stricken persons are morons, but some, especially bleach blonde num nuts) who get paid minimum wage probably skip a few things every now and again in their clean up and food prep practices.

Yes, you can develop an basic immunity to some food pathogens, but pathogens constantly evolve, and just like the flu, even though you were immune to last years model, it might not save you from some troubles if you are exposed to something with a new genotype. I think your doctor was a bit whacked on this one to be honest, you were likely exposed to tons of pathogens regardless of the sanitary nature of your home, every time you touch a doorknob and then eat at sandwich, you ingest all the crap that the last 50 people left on the doorknob.

If you experienced problems after moving out, I think it is more likely these were caused by unsanitary conditions in your environment, not everything that makes you sick is caused by food. You were probably exposed to a lot of pathogens from people not washing their hands, etc, I am not refuting your basic point, an overly sanitary upbringing might have left you less prepared for some stuff, but as long as you rode the bus and went to public washrooms when you were a kid you should have developed some basic immune responses.

Food poisoning from some sources does not even require an infection, it is the toxins produced by the bacteria in the improperly stored food that make you sick, not the original organism.

In fact, most people have a healthy colony of various bacteria in their intestinal tract that prevent most pathogens from breeding, and help digest food, you get these from things like Yogurt and raw vegetables. An average poop consists of about 30% dead intestinal bacteria. Anyone who has done a cycle of antibiotics like penicillin can tell you what happens when these friendly bacteria are not present, it's rather nasty. If you are exposed to too high a level, or too virulent a strain of pathogen, and neither the little friends in your gut or your immune system can deal with it, then you get sick. Stuff like the infamous E-coli outbreaks are caused by both, IE; a whopping dose of E-coli that has some resistance to your bodys defenses, allowing it to breed unchecked.

C/O
    "rare hamburger?, not unless you are willing to sign a waiver, boy-o"