4. Results-oriented
5. Dynamic
6. Proven track record
7. Team player
8. Fast-paced
9. Problem solver
10. Entrepreneurial

Source

Now that does apply to your CV and other profiles as well. Be ceative and try to use different words. It will help you STAND OUT more.

Comments

• DeepThoughtDeepThought Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    Don't forget to use words that make you look smart and mysterious like the architect from the matrix. When you talk use words like "ergo", "vis-a-vis" and "Concordantly"
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    Avoid jactating or leaving noisome comments.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited December 2010
    I think that article is kind of crap, to be honest. Those words are commonly used for a reason. Theyre not overly simple, like "good", but doesnt make you come off like an asshole. Employers arent stupid. They know that if someone uses a really fancy word in their CV, chances are, they know that the intent was to stand out.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited December 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Source

Now that does apply to your CV and other profiles as well. Be ceative and try to use different words. It will help you STAND OUT more.

screw it i still would use it
  • Chris HansenChris Hansen Regular
    edited January 2011
    I agree with mantikore. Those words come off as good describing words. Shows you have a decent vocabulary while still not being an asshole. On resumes alot of the time they just scan it and look for certian words or phrases anyway that prompt good workmanship.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm an innovative, motivated, results-oriented team player with extensive experience in fast-paced, dynamic problem-solving and a proven entrepreneurial track record who thinks outside the box. :mad:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Jack wrote: »
    I'm an innovative, motivated, results-oriented team player with extensive experience in fast-paced, dynamic problem-solving and a proven entrepreneurial track record who thinks outside the box. :mad:

*copies that for future CV*
  • edited January 2011
    Unfortunately it depends on who reads your resume. When I read one I ditch the shit and only want to see what a person has done and how it is relevant to the position. But we live in a world of people who also put "team player" and "works well with others" on their resume, and if they don't see it on your's you might get passed over.
    Balance is the key, put in 30% bullshit team player crap, just to let them know you are not above kissing the ring, then back it up with 70% skills and references.
    C/O
    "I hate my job, anyone want it?"
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    The best advice is dont write it in a shitty font. If its in times new roman or any sans shit, it is going in the bin. Also, dont try to look like a facy arsehole and have purple paper with gold writing on it. That shit is going in the bin.

A cv should be a fluid thing, able to bend and move to the reason it is used - I have had 30-40 jobs across five or six industries. On no account am I putting the 30-40 jobs down on one CV - so the cv changes depending on what it is being used for.

Be creative. A mate of mine was going for a design job a few years back. He printed his cv on that almost see though paper on a dot matrix printer, folded it up and sealed it inside of a can - normal food can, like tomatoes or beans or any of that shit comes in.

For the lable, he put his face on it, product name of his name and CV, ingrediants list contained major acomplishments, address on the lable was his address, his web site etc.

He got the job - but that is only an idea that would work in the design industry.

Also, make sure you have a nice email address in there. I laugh when I see email addresses such as [email protected] - you know what I mean, when people use an inapropriate email for business. Looks bad.
  • edited January 2011
    The best advice is dont write it in a shitty font. If its in times new roman or any sans shit, it is going in the bin. Also, dont try to look like a facy arsehole and have purple paper with gold writing on it. That shit is going in the bin.

Calibri FTW. Brilliant font, IMO. Looks very professional, yet readable and not shitty like Times New Roman.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Calibri FTW.

If I were writing a book of fairy tales I would be sure to use calibri.
  • edited January 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    If I were writing a book of fairy tales I would be sure to use calibri.

Wtf. Type something out, Calibri font at size 11 and it looks great. It's what I've been using for this year's college assignments and it really gives it a better look. Before that, I was using Verdana.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    not shitty like Times New Roman.
    Why you hating on my childhood font for bro? Fuck Office's default Cambria/Calibri shit.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited January 2011
    Fortunately I mainly submit résumés for IT positions where people don't care about design, so I can get away with a .txt :P
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Never got a job with a CV, rather a face to face meeting, drink and handshake. That said, I have never used words like Dfg listed in a CV...thank fuck. I hate pretentious wankers who think that their track record at their Daddy's work firm gives them extensive experience within a dynamic workplace, where they are no longer a team player, rather the leader.

It just conjours up an image of a retarded chimp. Seriously. Who the fuck describes themself with words they barely understand/heard from a film?

Oh that's right. Most kids today.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I'd prefer to contact employers in person too. It stands out in a way. Too bad most of them are enforcing the impersonal ways, like "Oh you need to fill out the application online" (where of course you can't show directly how much better you are than the other applicants). I wish we could still just walk into a place and greet the owner and immediately start talking about the job and how I'm good for it. But now it's always e-mail the résumé or whatever and you become just another one in the pile. :(
    At least we can still follow up.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    jactating

i hope that's a real word :o:o:o:fap::o:o:o
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    i hope that's a real word :o:o:o:fap::o:o:o
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/jactation

It's an archaic word in English, but in Spanish jactarse is the verb for "to brag" and it's pretty common.
  • hotbodhotbod New Arrival
    edited February 2011
    this is useful. i am actually in the process of making a resume.
  • AnarchyMasterAnarchyMaster Regular
    edited February 2011
    This is the best post you've made dfg. Too bad nobody speaks english in Pakistan anyway, so everything you listed is basically the equivalent of Shakespeare or Milton to an illiterate towel head.
  • hotbodhotbod New Arrival
    edited February 2011
    realistically wouldnt the most used words be "the" or "I"?
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2011
    Windings or Comic Sans for me!!
  • lazybumlazybum Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    fuck....
    This is why I got shutdown from that barista job
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm an innovative results oriented Fast paced Dynamic with an entrepreneurial spirit who has proven track record of a being motivated a problem solving team player:o:o:o:o
  • lazybumlazybum Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    I'm an innovative results oriented Fast paced Dynamic with an entrepreneurial spirit who has proven track record of a being motivated a problem solving team player:o:o:o:o

Good luck with that interview!