How much Rx drugs does a typical pharmacy have at any given time? Is there a limit?

cartmanbluecartmanblue New Arrival
edited March 2011 in Man Cave
As a general question, assuming that the pharmacy is on average size, about how much can they have on hand? Is there a strict limit to how much of a particular substance they can have? Is there a specific amount that they are required to have on hand?

I've searched everywhere, but there's no information about it; no written rules, regulations etc.

If there isn't any limitations on the amount of substance (x), then about how much of it would you estimate they would have on hand? Sure, it would all be based on how many patients go there, and what kind of meds they're getting, but again I'm just asking for a ball park estimate.

Comments

• cartmanbluecartmanblue New Arrival
    edited March 2011
    spazz wrote: »
    They have enough drugs for you to get rich and OD to death ;)

srsly, i know of a few drugstore knockovers back home.

Lovely. You never hear about the successful drugstore capers, you only hear about the shits that got caught.

Do you know anything about how it's delivered to the pharmacy? Personally, I've never heard of an armored fuck-pharmacy truck before, so I assume it's transported by some registered pharmacist delivery company or some shit. That's gotta be the only way, cuz it sure as fuck doesn't get FedEx'd :P
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited March 2011
    I work in a pharmacy irregularly.

- no limit to stock
    - average pharmacy has over $100k worth prescription drugs on hand
    - deliveries made by a courier company contracted by the drug warehouse (very low tech, like a minivan)
    - most pharmacies estimate their stock by pretty much eyeballing. It's incredibly inefficient to keep track of every single item. (narcotics are an exception)
    - the closer something is to the door, the more worthless it is
  • starfox223starfox223 Regular
    edited March 2011
    I think there is a limit. I remember reading something that said there was a limit to how many drugs they could have.
  • starfox223starfox223 Regular
    edited March 2011
    spazz wrote: »
    Well if they do its high enough for you to have A FUCK LOAD OF DRUGS

Well for one or too people? Of course! But for a whole town or in my case city. 1 walgreens or cvs wont have enough. But im sure thats pretty obvious.
    edited March 2011
    There's no limit. Plus pharmacies aren't going to buy all the drugs they can.
  • bra1234bra1234 New Arrival
    edited March 2011
    There is no limit everything behind the counter is counted and cataloged not eyeballed. For the scheduled material (morphine, etc) generally under lock and key, as well. Some stuff delivered by good ole' semi truck
    edited March 2011
    bra1234 wrote: »
    There is no limit everything behind the counter is counted and cataloged not eyeballed. For the scheduled material (morphine, etc) generally under lock and key, as well. Some stuff delivered by good ole' semi truck

The only pharmacies that have time to catalogue everything are those that don't have any business. Maybe large chain pharmacies as well, but independently owned ones for the most part do not. The closest I've gotten to counting stock was counting one shelf and estimating the other shelves based on that for a year-end estimate. Many pharmacies don't even do that.