Why paint "windows" on a tank?

AmieAmie Regular
edited March 2011 in Man Cave
In this picture, the two tanks both have rectangular window-like shapes painted on their turrets. On the first tank, I'd think it's to fake a window, so the idiot insurgents start shooting the "weak window" which is actually one of the strongest parts of the tank's armour so you know where they are and you can shoot them. On the second tank, however, they are light in color, no way to mistake them for windows.
060203-F-7823A-008.jpg

Anybody know what purpose (if any) they serve?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Maybe they just did it for fun.

Occam's razor and all that.
  • McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually my first thought was that someone wrote graffiti on it, and so they painted over it with the usual rectangles.

Also:
    Learn to fucking use spoilers! >_<
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited August 2010
    McSkluvin wrote: »
    Actually my first thought was that someone wrote graffiti on it, and so they painted over it with the usual rectangles.

I thought this too. I don't see how anyone could think those are windows :confused:

Maybe they wanted to give it eyes to make it look scary :hai:
  • JackJack Regular
    edited August 2010
    For example, there were four different styles of American stars used during those few years during WW2. When tanks were repainted in the field, crews often repainted markings in different places or left them off entirely. In fact American tank crew often painted over the stars on their tanks, which were just bulls eyes for German tank crews.

http://www.paintingclinic.com/operations/15mmstuart.htm

Maybe?
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010
    They all seem like valid possibilities to me, especially the removing of stars thing. Looks like nobody knows for sure. We need tankmen on this forum!
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    From far away, those do look like windows. Since they're painted on the toughest part of the tank, an RPG crew would likely target the "windows". (if they weren't drawn so half assed)
    edited August 2010
    (if they weren't drawn so half assed)

I know right, you can see drips on them and it's just rectangles, those damn toy soldiers, lawl.....
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2010
    From far away, those do look like windows. Since they're painted on the toughest part of the tank, an RPG crew would likely target the "windows". (if they weren't drawn so half assed)
    This ^ :thumbsup:
    edited September 2010
    bornkiller wrote: »
    This ^ :thumbsup:

Then why not just paint them black or really dark gray, so they would look like some kind of opening for aiming rifles out of? That would look even more vulnerable and it would look more realistic if done right.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    On the main gun of the tank in front, it seems there's also paint on it similar to the ones on the turret. Probably wouldn't expect a window there :p
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2010
    McSkluvin wrote: »
    Then why not just paint them black or really dark gray, so they would look like some kind of opening for aiming rifles out of? That would look even more vulnerable and it would look more realistic if done right.
    No,no not vulnerable, It may disguised with windows on the outside but beneath that paint is linux so it'll be pretty solid.:p
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    it would be more effective to place a square of glass on top of the painted surface i think. also, painting a false air intake vent might also work
  • 100100 Semo-Regulars
    edited March 2011
    so you can see
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    It's just markings they painted over. Unit numbers or some shit like that that they usually cover.
  • edited March 2011
    Probably to draw the eye away from the real window located under the gun :o
    have fun ragheads.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited March 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    It's just markings they painted over. Unit numbers or some shit like that that they usually cover.

Pretty much. When I was around Armor over there it was usually Unit tags, call signs, motto's etc. A little weird they didn't have any desert brown paint though. That's about the only thing we had scores of.

Glad I wasn't in an Armor crew though, apparently a lot of those poor bastards in the M-1 are getting ball cancer and fucked up kids from the Depleted uranium in the armor and shells.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited March 2011
    who gives a turd about paint on a tank?
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Pretty much. When I was around Armor over there it was usually Unit tags, call signs, motto's etc. A little weird they didn't have any desert brown paint though. That's about the only thing we had scores of.

Glad I wasn't in an Armor crew though, apparently a lot of those poor bastards in the M-1 are getting ball cancer and fucked up kids from the Depleted uranium in the armor and shells.

Them and everyone person over there, but that's what you get when you shoot uranium all over the damn country.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    who gives a turd about paint on a tank?

Apparently a lot of people do.
  • edited March 2011
    Probably to bait sandniggers into trying to squeegee it, then killing them and calling them terrorists.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited March 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    Them and everyone person over there, but that's what you get when you shoot uranium all over the damn country.

Agreed. Just watched a documentary on it. Oviously it was fucking stupid to begin with, but just another case of the DoD being cock suckers to the kids they send over to die. if they come back: "Oh wut? u dnt dye? wtf nabg, have some homelessnes!"

Yeah I had a a cousin and a few friends over in Iraq, and spent a month there myself. But I'm glad(if you can say that) my contingent was Afghanistan. The weather and altitude was brutal. But as a paratrooper I'd prefer that to damn Armor. We had a few troopers with Gustavs, but the mountains were pretty much small arms fire.

Had friends in Iraq and, as I said been then just a month, and it is nasty. The stench, the fighting, the bullshit. Fuck it. And yeah, the last 20 years, Gulf War Syndrome I'm pretty convinced is the massive amount of uranium we shoot/armor, and the FUCKING CHEM WEAPONS PLANTS WE BLEW THE FUCK UP :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

EDIT: Sorry not :plants: as we USA made the weapons, I meant storage facilities.