Hypnopompic Hallucinations

SpeedbagsSpeedbags Regular
edited March 2011 in Life
Anyone else experience this while sleeping? I used to have a problem of waking up out of sleep yet still seeing things or thinking I was in another place (other than my room). My wife can attest to me sometimes hitting things I think are on our bed or running straight out of the bed and out of the room only to return a few seconds later.

I haven't had any since I started taking Zoloft, I did have a sleep study done and they diagnosed me with a hair trigger anxiety disorder and Hypnopompic Hallucinations, which I guess when combined is what makes me wake up suddenly and then see things. The most common occurrence was to wake up and seeing bugs (bees, ants, spiders) or snakes on our bed in which case I would try to get out of bed ASAP and also drag my wife (usually against her will) out of bed as well.

I think it had something to do with the anxiety because after taking the Zoloft I have yet to really experience them. My wife says I still wake up quite often and either mumble something or sit straight up out of bed but I never remember anything. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this sort of thing.

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited March 2011
    I used to get sleep paralysis pretty often and this would always happen. It sucked because the hallucinations were never good things. It was always demons and shit like that.
  • SpeedbagsSpeedbags Regular
    edited March 2011
    So you would see things but be unable to move? Similar to what I would experience, except I am free to move. The explanation the doctor gave to me was that a normal person has that disconnect while dreaming that keeps their body from physically reacting to the dreams. My disconnect is very weak allowing me to move while mentally still half in a dream.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    I remember when my youngest was about 1 year old I had a dream that he grabbed this big dead dried up spider and started eating it. In the dream I smacked him in the mouth to knock the spider out of his mouth. IRL I rolled over and smacked his mother in the mouth while sleeping.
  • edited March 2011
    I remember when my youngest was about 1 year old I had a dream that he grabbed this big dead dried up spider and started eating it. In the dream I smacked him in the mouth to knock the spider out of his mouth. IRL I rolled over and smacked his mother in the mouth while sleeping.

LOL, this happened to me once although the situation was a little different. I was having a dream in which I was punching some kid in the face. At the same time, I managed to punch the fucking wall as hard as I possibly could IRL causing excruciating pain! :facepalm: I woke up with a fucked up hand and a slight mark on the brick wall. Yes, bricks hurt to punch.
  • blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited March 2011
    Once I fell asleep while wearing my favourite hoodie and had some dream where one of the pull strings was caught in a trap, so I pulled out a knife and cut it off at the halfway point to let myself go free. When I woke up I found half a string on my floor beside my alarm and noticed one of the ones on my hoodie was shortened and frayed. It turned out that part of the dream happened in real life and I used the knife in my night table drawer to "free myself" in waking life.
  • blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited March 2011
    also, back about 4 or 5 years ago (when i was about 16) I used to have OOBEs alot, which I figure are a kind of hypnagogic hallucination, not hypnopompic i know, but close enough.