Use Facebook through SSL only

AmieAmie Regular
edited April 2011 in Tech & Games
A lot of you guys probably already know his, but Facebook is in the process of rolling out full SSL encryption for the whole session. At the moment, you can turn it on in your account settings already. In my experience, the connection reverts back to non-ssl when you keep the page open and it auto-refreshes, but when you actually refresh the page yourself or click on a link it goes back to SSL. Strange behaviour.

Edit: it seems the dropping SSL is caused by Opera, not by Facebook; and it does this on every SSL site! Big fail, Opera, big fail. Back to the bench as spare browser you go.

Here's some more info:
http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=486790652130

Oh, and, off course, don't use facebook, 'cause it's evil. But it's just soo damn handy for stalking people ...

Edit: just in case some of you don't know it yet: Gmail offers this too, so turn it on!

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    J0u4c.gif

Totse has SSL too. I don't use it because I am lazy but you should use it nonetheless.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    edited March 2011
    edited March 2011
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah and give away plenty of personal info in the process. you can still communicate with people without facebook but obviously you're to stupid to realize that :mad:

Trying to keep in contact with about 100 people using methods such as text messaging or MSN is a pain in the ass, dude. I understand where you're coming from though, and if it was as easy as being able to delete it and still contact everyone, then I totally would.

In response to the OP, I've been using HTTPS with Facebook for about a month or two now, and it's served me well. To begin with, it did that dumb shit where it stopped using SSL after every link I clicked on, but something popped up one day after logging in and asked me if I wanted to use HTTPS all the time when using Facebook. I clicked on the yes button, and haven't had a problem since :thumbsup:
    edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Trying to keep in contact with about 100 people using methods such as text messaging or MSN is a pain in the ass, dude. I understand where you're coming from though, and if it was as easy as being able to delete it and still contact everyone, then I totally would.

text messaging is a pain i have to admit but there is no way i would go back to using facebook
    edited March 2011
    edited March 2011
  • edited March 2011
    So, who wants to shut up and post something useful in this thread regarding the use of SSL on facebook, and how it can stop your details from falling into the hands of someone who wants to use them maliciously?

I also use SSL on Gmail, and when I had Twitter too. You can download an addon which forces the use of HTTPS on all sites which have it enabled, just in case you forget to enable it yourself. Pretty handy stuff.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    This is a pretty good illustration of why you should always make sure you're using a full SSL connection when logging in to anything, especially on an unsecured wireless network.

Causes quite the shock when at the end of a conference you show the whole audience you can log into just about every one of the participants' email, facebook etc. account.
  • edited March 2011
    Amie wrote: »
    This is a pretty good illustration of why you should always make sure you're using a full SSL connection when logging in to anything, especially on an unsecured wireless network.

Causes quite the shock when at the end of a conference you show the whole audience you can log into just about every one of the participants' email, facebook etc. account.

That's pretty cool, it's like the lazyman's way of sniffing a network :D Too bad it's not compatible with Firefox 4 yet :( I'll probably install this addon onto my Backtrack installation which uses a much older version of Firefox, so thanks for posting it :thumbsup:
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    Creating a facebook account does not magically expose all your private information to the world. You clearly lack the intelligence to realise this without having it spelled out for you, so here it goes: you have to actually put the information on facebook first. If you're too much of a retard to control your own fingers you shouldn't be using the internet.

(This is not directed at you amie, I am only responding to your comments)

What makes posting personal information or stories on totse any different? Do you think the feds aren't watching this site as well? For those who have posted pictures, and other personal information here or anywhere else for that matter, you're in the same boat...

Google finds everything (public anyway).
  • edited March 2011

The worst part is that even if you've setup Facebook to use SSL, you'd still get caught by that thing on any sites with those awful Facebook plugins, if you stay logged in. There's a Firefox addon that will block all access to Facebook from anywhere but it's own site though.

Also, for the Gmail one, same thing for Google search (if you stay logged into Google) unless you use the SSL version of search too.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited March 2011

Is firesheep still working? I'm tempted to revert back to FF3.6 and give it a try.
  • MonsterballzMonsterballz New Arrival
    edited March 2011
    Unlike you, some people on here actually do have a life and need to communicate with other people outside of posting on Totse. Sometimes, facebook is the easiest way to reach somebody.

That's the only reason I have a Facebook. I don't really like it, but I kinda need it
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    STFU OP and stop acting like you know what your talking about:facepalm: SSL wont protect you from shit if the feds or anyone really wants your information. Every piece of advice you've ever given on this site has been shit.

Thank you for sharing your expert opinion with us, DS who isn't DS anymore.
    Box wrote: »
    Is firesheep still working? I'm tempted to revert back to FF3.6 and give it a try.

Don't know, haven't tested it recently, I guess it still does, though, as long as they don't start sending their cookies over SSL it should still work.
    The worst part is that even if you've setup Facebook to use SSL, you'd still get caught by that thing on any sites with those awful Facebook plugins, if you stay logged in. There's a Firefox addon that will block all access to Facebook from anywhere but it's own site though.

Also, for the Gmail one, same thing for Google search (if you stay logged into Google) unless you use the SSL version of search too.

I didn't know that. But I never stay logged in while surfng anything else than facebook / gmail in the same browser, so I'm pretty much immune to that.
  • edited March 2011
    STFU OP and stop acting like you know what your talking about:facepalm: SSL wont protect you from shit if the feds or anyone really wants your information. Every piece of advice you've ever given on this site has been shit.

No shit Sherlock, its only SSL so it's not going to stop the feds from seeing what you're writing. However, it's much more SECURE than accessing Facebook (or any site) through a regular connection. If you're sitting in an internet cafe and you're logging into a website, would you rather use SSL or have no protection at all?

OP knows exactly what he's talking about, learn to read.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011

Found a cure for this one: private tabs in Opera. Edited to add: After some testing, this function does not seem to work properly yet. Sometimes a new private tab is truely private, sometimes it shares cookies with other private tabs.

Firefox really needs to support private tabs. And Opera needs to support SOCKS proxies. If they did that, the world would have two perfect browsers.
  • edited March 2011
    To stop those pesky Facebook plugins, I just use Noscript. It blocks them from loading completely, and is awesome.
  • edited March 2011
    I wouldn't give a shit. SSL doesn't help in any significant way other than making people feel like they are protected. And OP is still a fucking moron.

Explain yourself, because as far as I know, SSL offers slightly more protection than a standard HTTP connection, as it's harder to sniff and intercept. It's still fairly easy to capture HTTPS information but it's definitely harder than sniffing HTTP.
  • edited March 2011
    Sure it offers some protection but not any when it really counts. I find it funny that anyone with serious privacy concerns would even be on facebook.

You have a point there. I think it's just a case of letting it slide a little, just because Facebook is an effective means of communication between your friends. That means that the seemingly "serious" privacy concern isn't that serious after all. If it was very serious though, I wouldn't hesitate to remove it.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2011
    What makes posting personal information or stories on totse any different? Do you think the feds aren't watching this site as well? For those who have posted pictures, and other personal information here or anywhere else for that matter, you're in the same boat...
    They are very different boats.
    Some may have the capability to control the content they put on fecesbook. But do your friends & family posses that same control? It's not like fecebook will infract or ban your mother for your baby photos on her page. You know what I mean?
    The hatred for fecesbook isn't specifically targeted at you or any other user of the service. It's targeted at fecesbook in general.
    I'd delete a post/thread if it contained non-consensual personal information concerning totse members. Would fecesbook? :confused:
    edited March 2011
    Negatory bk, they would not. Well maybe if you made a huge stink about it.
    Imagine complaining to fecesbook about you mother putting up your baby pics. Man! I wonder if anyone has ever done that to their mother before? lol! :D
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    There was a backdoor into facebook back in 2009, not sure if they've fixed it or not.

Backdoor access for millions of Facebook and MySpace accounts

Edit to add: Not to mention marketers are given access to your personal information whether you like it or not.
    edited March 2011
    There was a backdoor into facebook back in 2009, not sure if they've fixed it or not.

Backdoor access for millions of Facebook and MySpace accounts

Edit to add: Not to mention marketers are given access to your personal information whether you like it or not.
    I remember there were some access points into myspace.
  • edited April 2011
    Whyy dopeople have to report that shit, I wish they'd just keep it to themselves so those of us non-white-hats could make use of them...

Also FB used to have a master password that let employees access any account.
    edited April 2011
    Whyy dopeople have to report that shit, I wish they'd just keep it to themselves so those of us non-white-hats could make use of them...

Also FB used to have a master password that let employees access any account.
    I think staff have access to everyone's account as soon as they sign in. :(
  • MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »

In response to the OP, I've been using HTTPS with Facebook for about a month or two now, and it's served me well. To begin with, it did that dumb shit where it stopped using SSL after every link I clicked on, but something popped up one day after logging in and asked me if I wanted to use HTTPS all the time when using Facebook. I clicked on the yes button, and haven't had a problem since :thumbsup:

Would've been quicker if you just clicked account - Account Settings - Account Security. I turned on SSL from there. Good thread OP, I didn't even know Facebook had this. I just use it for keeping in touch with IRL friends and for stalking people. Beyond that Facebook is pretty useless.