Check Your New Computer Thoroughly Before Using It.

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Browsers, Social Networking, Government Monitoring, HPs deactivation BS & the list continues.
Is nothing computer related fucking sacred anymore. :angry:
Samsung installs keylogger on its laptops

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/samsung-installs-keylogger-its-laptops

A user discovered a keylogger pre-installed on two brand-new Samsung laptops that the company admitted was there to "monitor the performance of the machine and to find out how it is being used."
Mohamed Hassan wrote in Mich Kabay’s Security Strategies newsletter that as soon as he received his Samsung R525 laptop, he ran a full system scan and found a commercial keylogger called StarLogger.
StarLogger claims it records every keystroke made on the computer, even on password-protected boxes, starting up whenever the computer starts up. The software emails results at intervals to a specified email address and will even include screen captures.
Hassan ended up buying a second Samsung laptop, a model R540, and found the same keylogger installed on that one.
"The fact that on both models the same files were found in the same location supported the suspicion that the hardware manufacturer, Samsung, must know about this software on its brand-new laptops," he writes.
Hassan reports that at first Samsung Support personnel denied that they installed the software and directed him to Microsoft, but then eventually admitted that Samsung was responsible.
As Hassan notes, the incident is reminiscent of the Sony BMG rootkit fiasco of 2005. At the time, Sony BMG used a rootkit to monitor computer user behavior and limit how music CDs were used on the computer.
Kabay says that Samsung has not responded to further requests for comment.
Deborah Platt Majoras, "Installations of secret software that create security risks are intrusive and unlawful." (FTC, 2007). Samsung's conduct may be illegal; even if it is eventually ruled legal by the courts, the issue has legal, ethical, and privacy implications for both the businesses and individuals who may purchase and use Samsung laptops. Samsung could also be liable should the vast amount of information collected through StarLogger fall into the wrong hands.
[Mich Kabay adds:]
We contacted three public relations officers for Samsung for comment about this issue and gave them a week to send us their comments. No one from the company replied.
Good luck, Samsung! We see a class-action lawsuit in your future….
Moar! :mad:

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Shit. Cheers for this heads up. Luckily I scanned my laptop and uninstalled any pointless programs/search for pre-installed bits, so am confident I'd have found something.
  • edited March 2011
    I use AdAware free version to scan for stuff like that, and I run the preboot scan on my regular virus protection once every two weeks or so. Is this vigilant enough to catch things like this? This has made me ever so slightly paranoid, but if it weren't for paranoia, we'd all be the governments bitch.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Lucky me I don't think I've ever bought a new computer with an OS pre-installed.

But what a load of shit. I would tell them "You need to answer my emails about this, or the next email I send will be to the news".
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks for the heads up. Luckily, I do the same as RemadE and check through everything every time I buy a computer which already has an OS installed (which is like, never). I do the same for friends and family though, just so they don't complain about a slow-ass computer later on in the year.

This is really shameful though, seriously. A keylogger?!
  • edited March 2011
    Multinational conglomerates spy on us?

You for real?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    Lucky me, I don't have enough money to worry about this :D.
  • edited March 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Lucky me, I don't have enough money to worry about this :D.

But your country has natural resources. You may not get key-loggers, but you could get invaded.
  • edited April 2011
    Turns out the guy was lying.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited April 2011
    Turns out the guy was lying.
    Says the FED :o