Fiction Recommendations

woodwood Regular
edited July 2010 in Life
Got my e-book reader in the post today, stacked it up with plenty of books but I'm sorely lacking in the fiction department so far. I like most types of fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, beat gen, so recommend pretty much anything. I've looked through the required reading for humanity, but I've read a lot of those.

Anyone read anything worthwhile?

Comments

• CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited July 2010
    The Dark Tower series. Seriously. :thumbsup:

EDIT: ^Oh come on. That is bullshit. No thumb smiley?
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited July 2010
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier.
  • edited July 2010
    Who Watches the Watchmen?

Seriously, Watchmen is a good series.
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    read non-fiction
  • kaloosakaloosa Regular
    edited July 2010
    Shutter Island - Dennis Lehand

The "twist" becomes obvious half-way through (if you didn't already see the film), but the book plays out like it wants you to know the twist and keep you reading anyway.

Less Than Zero - Brett Easton Ellis

Good shit. Simply put.
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited July 2010
    Watch Avatar
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2010
    you can't mention that you got an ebook reader and not tell us the model.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited July 2010
    Cool. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Couldn't find an english version of Le Grand Meaulnes though.

And it's a Sony PRS-600.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    See if there's anything by David & Leigh Eddings, or Orson Scott Card. It'd be kickass to read Ender's Game on an e-reader; I'd be imagining I was on one of those e-desk things the whole time. :o
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
  • edited July 2010
    The Last Question by Isaac Asimov
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    wasjosh wrote: »
    read non-fiction

This. This. This. This. This.

Well shit, I guess you could read 1984?

Death to _______.
    edited July 2010
    The Last Question by Isaac Asimov

This
    edited July 2010
    This. This. This. This. This.

Well shit, I guess you could read 1984?

Death to _______.

What's the point of suggesting he read non-fiction in a thread for fiction recommendations.
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    What's the point of suggesting he read non-fiction in a thread for fiction recommendations.

Well, it could be to get him to drop fiction, and read non-fiction. But if that isn't apparent...
  • woodwood Regular
    edited July 2010
    wood wrote: »
    stacked it up with plenty of books but I'm sorely lacking in the fiction department so far.

Fucking retards. I'm already reading non-fiction.
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    wood wrote: »
    Fucking retards. I'm already reading non-fiction.

Then bam retard, you've got nothing to look for. If you're reading more than a couple books a day, go for a make-believe-fairy-fuck-you-up-the-ass-novel, but shit, if you force me into this, make it ______________________________

flame:
    Fuck you.
    /flame
  • PeoplePeople Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov. Good ole' fiction pedophilia :cool:
    edited July 2010
    Then bam retard, you've got nothing to look for. If you're reading more than a couple books a day, go for a make-believe-fairy-fuck-you-up-the-ass-novel, but shit, if you force me into this, make it ______________________________

flame:
    Fuck you.
    /flame

What the fuck kind of fiction are you reading? Apparently you don't realize that literature is fiction. Non-fiction is history, biography, and textbooks. Non-fiction outside of learning skills or general knowledge is boring as fuck. Fiction is about creativity, insight into how people behave and talk, and creating something that didn't exist before. If you don't like fiction, that's great. ITT: we post fiction recommendations. If you don't have any, don't post.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm reading the Illuminatus Trilogy by RAW at the moment, so I defiantly recommend that. Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen is cool too; his style reminds me of the beat writers.

As a kid I got into Robert Jordan. His books are damn entertaining, even if they are the literary equivalent of a Lord of the Rings Soap Opera. Also the Red Dwarf novels are fucking kickass.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Jack wrote: »
    See if there's anything by David & Leigh Eddings, or Orson Scott Card. It'd be kickass to read Ender's Game on an e-reader; I'd be imagining I was on one of those e-desk things the whole time. :o
    People wrote: »
    Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov. Good ole' fiction pedophilia :cool:

^This,
    Btw I still can't listen Lolita Audio Book. I get horny in seconds :(. Someday I will listen to that book, some fucking day.
  • edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Btw I still can't listen Lolita Audio Book. I get horny in seconds :(. Someday I will listen to that book, some fucking day.

Proving Pakistan is fucked up, one person at a time.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Proving Pakistan knows what's up, one person at a time.

Fixed
  • edited July 2010
    Fixed

Ehhhh ... They have camel sex like we have 1nc3st over in these here woods.
  • weathersweathers Regular
    edited July 2010
    Crazzyass wrote: »
    The Dark Tower series. Seriously. :thumbsup:

EDIT: ^Oh come on. That is bullshit. No thumb smiley?

If you're into scifi and fantasy, this fo' sho'

It's somehow both and neither and generally great.

KoKo by Peter Straub is pretty badass, and the Frankenstein rewoking... continuation... hmmmm... By Dean Koontz is a good read.
  • trickstertrickster Acolyte
    edited July 2010

The Redemption of Althalus was one of the best books I've ever read.

The Magic Kingdom series by Terry Brooks is pretty good in terms of fantasy, though the latest one didn't really strike me as particularly strong.

I tend to enjoy Heinlein's works, like Glory Road, and The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. He does pretty well with either sci-fi or fantasy.

Another book I enjoyed was The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, but it's more like steampunk than anything else.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Mm, yes, RoA and Belgarath the Sorcerer, both amazing. I've read also Belgariad I think, but that's it; I should really get to the rest. It's been years. :(

My mom was obsessed with Eye of the World or Wheel of Time or something. One of those. I can't remember. Should I bother with them?
    edited July 2010
    The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks. 7 books originally, he wrote a prequel and I think 9 sequels. ridiculous.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome, thanks a lot guys. I don't think I really want to get into any 7-9 book series just yet. Reading the Rum Diaries at the moment. Got some Orson Scott Card, Asimov, and RAW lined up for the next week or so.