Must Have Editing Tools for Video Production

DfgDfg Admin
edited December 2011 in Life
mhvtfetotse.JPG
I will let you in a little secret of mine. I enjoy doing video editing. But since I don't have source material and one I have is shitty [VCD or below quality] I can't perform some masking functions and frame by frame edit. Since the source file has artifacts. But that doesn't stop me from trying things.

So, if you're into Video Editing then following softwares would be great for you.

Adobe Master Suite
    [*]Adobe Premiere Pro
    [*]Adobe After Effects

Adobe Premiere Pro is a powerful video editing tool and After Effects is used for generating effects. They're both essential in making great videos.

Final Cut Pro

Final Cut Studio offers everything. Unfortunately it's only for Mac and I can't use it on Windows. So, if you're a Mac user, try that.

Sony Suite

[*]Song Vegas
      [*]Sony Sound Forge
      [*]Sony Acid

Sony Vegas is another Video editor which is preferred by many. I tend to use it some times since it offers great effects and it's easy to use. Plus, the Dfg Collage videos were edited in this software.

Pinnacle

I used the HD version. It's a shame I don't have enough resources but even on my old P4 it performed quite well. It was easy but not that powerful if you're trying something different.

There are other open source alternatives out there but the above are the most used video editors. I have a Core2duo processors and it's the minimum requirement for using some of the above softwares if you're planning to edit HD. Plus, having 4GB or more RAM helps and a 64-bit System is essential for Adobe Suite.

All in all, even with the most powerful editor and PC you still need knowledge and some creativity and content to use these softwares. I wish I had an HD Camera. I could record Time Lapse videos and do all sorts of different things. But working with SD resolution doesn't offer you much since you can't add special effects and you take different shots you normally see standard videos.

Codecs

If you're using a 64-bit OS then install both the 32-bit and 64-bit version. Trust me having those codecs save you tons of time.

Encoders

I prefer Cyberlink Media Espresso and Adobe Media Encoder but they aren't that much flexible. In those situations I use Handbreak or SUPER. There are other alternatives out there as well.

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
        edited January 2011
        This thread is a godsend. I'm shit at Video editing (minus DVD rips) so got some decent softwarez to play around on. Cheers :thumbsup:
      • MrBennMrBenn Regular
        edited January 2011
        I use Final Cut Pro and After Effects...both great at what they do.
      • MrBennMrBenn Regular
        edited February 2011
        BIG thank you for the links Dfg :thumbsup:
      • MrBennMrBenn Regular
        edited March 2011
        :thumbsup: :)
      • DfgDfg Admin
        edited March 2011
        TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5.0.5.32
        The successor to the award-winning TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress is here. Among its features is support for many input and output formats, detailed parameter settings, fast and precise cut-editing, video format conversion, compression, material creation, and much more! This is the high-quality encoding choice of video enthusiasts everywhere.

What is TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5?

It's the next generation video encoder, allowing you to convert almost any video clip to any format. Customizable output settings, editing capabilities, and enhancing filters make it everything you want in an encoder and more.

What's New?

Layer editing in a timeline. New video filters. Add clip transition effects. MKV support. Intel Sandy Bridge H.264 encoding. NVIDIA CUDA H.264 encoding. x264-powered H.264 encoding engine. And over 20 other new features.
      • DfgDfg Admin
        edited March 2011
        [URL=" http://lifehacker.com/#!5785558/the-basics-of-video-editing-the-complete-guide"] The Basics of Video Editing: The Complete Guide[/URL]
      • MrBennMrBenn Regular
        edited April 2011
        Dfg wrote: »
        [URL=" http://lifehacker.com/#!5785558/the-basics-of-video-editing-the-complete-guide"] The Basics of Video Editing: The Complete Guide[/URL]

A nice concise little guide :thumbsup:
      • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
        edited April 2011
        sudo apt-get install kino
      • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
        edited April 2011
        Has anyone tried the open source Lightworks beta?
        How dare they call it open-source without offering it to linux users. :mad:
      • MrBennMrBenn Regular
        edited April 2011
        Has anyone tried the open source Lightworks beta?

Not heard of that before, thanks for the link :thumbsup:
      • duuudeduuude Regular
        edited April 2011
        Which should I try first?? :confused:
      • MrBennMrBenn Regular
        edited April 2011
        Dfg wrote: »

Thanks Dfg :thumbsup:
      • Dexter01Dexter01 Semo-Regulars
        edited May 2011
        Video production plays a very important role in creating a video, video production may look simple, but it is not an easy thing to do. It requires great skills and commitment to make a good video. As mentioned in the post, it is equally important to be equipped with the latest tools and technologies.
      • DfgDfg Admin
        edited May 2011
        Dexter01 wrote: »
        Video production plays a very important role in creating a video, video production may look simple, but it is not an easy thing to do. It requires great skills and commitment to make a good video. As mentioned in the post, it is equally important to be equipped with the latest tools and technologies.

Amen, you could have Latest Red Cams and high-ends systems but if you don't have the talent and determination you will just waste time and resources.
      • DfgDfg Admin
        edited May 2011
        Pro Tools HD 9.0.2 OSX
        I have included instructions for Text Edit and Word. If you don't have snow leopard, do not attempt to install. I have installed this on three macs all using 10.6.7 and have had 0 problems. No PT Loader, no iLok questions, all plug-ins work (with XVX's Unpacer of course). If you do not know how to look through files in your library, do not even download. I have this working on my Macbook Pro with and without an Mbox 2, I have yet to test it with my Digi 003. If you have any doubts, please avoid using this. If you follow the instructions exactly, you should be successful. As I said, I've installed this on 3 macs with 0 issues. I don't know if this will work on Hackintosh, or any earlier versions of Snow Leopard than 10.6.7 because I haven't tried.

Bear with me on dowload time, I might have to check out every once in a while.

Drivers are not included, Jelliotness posted the drivers in an earlier torrent.

I cannot give credit to all the people who are responsible for this, but if you can think of a programmer who has been on here a lot, I'm sure they had a hand in it. And thank you Jelliotness, you provided all the files I needed to figure this out.
      • abrahammaslowabrahammaslow Semo-Regulars
        edited August 2011
        This thread is a godsend. I'm shit at Video editing (minus DVD rips) so got some decent softwarez to play around on
      • DfgDfg Admin
        edited September 2011
        Sony Vegas Pro 10 x86-x64 Cracked

2hdcxlg.jpg

The Vegas Pro 10 collection integrates two powerful applications that work
        seamlessly together to provide an efficient and intuitive environment for
        video and broadcast professionals. This comprehensive suite offers the most
        robust and progressive platform available for content creation and production.
        With broad format support, superior effects processing, unparalleled audio support,
        and a full complement of editorial tools, the Vegas Pro 10 collection streamlines
        your workflow. From acquisition to delivery, from camera to Blu-ray DiscΓΓÇ₧ó, the
        Vegas Pro 10 collection delivers exactly what you need to produce outstanding results.

Vegas Pro 10 system requirements

* Microsoft® Windows® XP 32-bit SP3, Windows Vista® 32-bit or 64-bit SP2, or Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit
        * 2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D)
        * 400 MB hard-disk space for program installation
        * 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)
        * OHCI-compatible i.LINK® connector/IEEE-1394DV card (for DV and HDV capture and print-to-tape)
        * USB 2.0 connection (for importing from AVCHD, XDCAM EX, NXCAM, or DVD camcorders)
        * Windows-compatible sound card
        * DVD-ROM drive (for installation from a DVD only)
        * Supported CD-recordable drive (for CD burning only)
        * Supported DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW (for DVD burning only)
        * Supported BD-R/-RE drive (for Blu-ray DiscΓΓÇ₧ó burning only)
        * Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 (included on application disc)
        * Apple® QuickTime® 7.1.6 or later
        * Internet Connection (for Gracenote MusicID Service)

Download
      • DfgDfg Admin
        edited November 2011
        Sorenson.Squeeze.Pro.8.0.0.48- For MAC

Sorenson Squeeze is the latest version of Sorenson Media's award-winning compression and encoding software. In only three quick steps users can select, pre-process, and compress video for output in a variety of formats and publish directly to websites or burn to DVD. Offering best in class workflows, the highest quality audio & video codecs, simultaneous multi-file encoding, and optimized filter presets, along with an unmatched level of automation. Squeeze requires no in-depth knowledge of compression formats and allows users to work faster without compromising quality.

Sorenson Media has added the Sorenson AVC Pro codec (also known as H.264) to the Sorenson Squeeze 4 Compression Suite. This codec offers unparalleled encoding efficiency by creating the high-quality video at roughly 70 percent the standard MPEG-4 codec!

While most compression tools are cumbersome, with steep learning curves, Squeeze is easy to use and requires no in-depth knowledge of the complexities of compression technology. Squeeze 4 reduces your digital video to a fraction of its original size, allowing you to pack more onto CDs and DVDs or to stream across the Internet much more affordably.

Formats

Adaptive Bitrate Standards:
        Microsoft Smooth Streaming (H.264) and Adobe Flash Dynamic Streaming (Windows version), Dolby Pro Audio; Including 5.1 Surround
        Video Input Formats

3GP, Apple ProRes, Apple Intermediate Codec (Mac only), ASF (Windows only), AVCHD, AVC–Intra (MXF), AVI, DV, DVCPRO, Flash Video (On2 VP6, Sorenson Spark), HDV, Motion JPEG, MPEG–1, MPEG–2, MPEG–4 Part 2, MPEG–4 AVC (H.264), MPEG Program Streams, MPEG Transport Streams, MXF (XDCAM, AVC-Intra), QuickTime (MOV), WMV, DVD (unencrypted) (NEW)
        Audio Input Formats

AAC, AC–3, AIFF, AU, Dolby Digital, M4A MP3 (MPEG–1 Layer 3), MPEG Layer 1, MPEG Layer 2, PCM, WMA, WAV
        Video Output Formats

3GP, Apple HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), AVI Blu–Ray (H.264, MPEG–2, VC–1), DV, DVB DVD (NTSC, PAL), Flash Video (On2 VP6, Sorenson Spark), Flash Dynamic Streaming (Windows version), HDV, Matroska, Microsoft IIS Smooth Streaming, Motion JPEG, MPEG–1, MPEG–2, MPEG–4 Part 2 MPEG–4 AVC (H.264), MPEG Elementary Streams, MPEG Program Streams MPEG Transport Streams (MPEG-TS), QuickTime (MOV), QuickTime Exporter Components, WebM, WMV
        Audio Output Formats

AAC, AC–3, AIFF, Dolby Digital, M4A, MP3 (MPEG Layer 3), MPEG Layer 1, MPEG Layer 2, Ogg Vorbis, PCM, WAV, WMA

Encode & Transcode

• Best x264 integration and optimization for any H.264 encoding
        • Improved GPU accelerated H.264 encoding (MainConcept H.264)
        • Greater than 8-bit support (10-bit dithering)
        • 64-Bit compatibility

• Video compression, easy as 1, 2, 3
        • Import uncompressed video file
        • Select intelligent presets
        • Press “Squeeze It”
        • GPU accelerated H.264 encoding
        • One, Two and Multi-Pass Variable Bitrate (VBR) compression
        • High Definition (HD) encoding options
        • Simultaneous multi-file encoding
        • Metadata encoding/passthrough
        • Batch processing at job, source, and output levels
        • Encode for broadcast
        • Dolby certified encoders
        • Source pixel aspect ratio control
        • Constrain output file size

Quality Filters

Audio Sync, 10 bit to 8 bit dithering

Black Restore, blur, brightness, contrast, crop, deinterlace, fade video, gamma, hue, saturation and lightness, inverse telecine, image orientation, RGB, Sharpen, Telecine 2:3 pulldown, Timecode, tint, video noise reduction, watermark, white balance, white restore, audio duration, audio mixer, audio pitch, audio volume, audio fade

Workflow

Integration with Squeeze Server
        Detailed Tooltips

Seamless integration with AVID, Final Cut Pro, and Premiere Applications
        Multiple Watch Folders with multiple output options
        Direct integration with Sorenson 360
        Integrated preset exchange

Delivery & Notifications

Complimentary 1 Year Sorenson 360 Review & Approval account
        Send unlimited notifications via email and up to 30 SMS text message alerts per month
        Publish to YouTube, AWS, Akamai, Limelight and more
        FTP publishing

Editing

Trim in and out points
        Video cropping
        Duplicate Source
        DV Capture
        Standard NLE shortcut keys

http://www.sorensonmedia.com/video-encoding/

Download
      • PacoPaco me administrator
        edited December 2011
        I recently went to a a Film Convention called ProductionConn(this year was the first year ever, so you've probably never heard of it) and met a few post production pros. I learned about this program called Mocha, it's fucking magical. http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mochapro

It's pretty essential. Oh yea, and if you have After Effects, you already have MochaAE, the basic version. Just check your After Effects folder under your program files.