The UN-Official (not complete) Guide to Homelessness

DaSkipperDaSkipper Regular
edited April 2012 in Life
Homeless-Streets.jpg

Official Homeless Guide for Totse

Some of this info isn't legal but this is totse so idgaf

Eating

When I get hungry these are some of my ways of obtaining food.

Dumpster Diving
Asking for food
Stealing
Homeless Shelter

Dumpster Diving: This is a well known way to eat and obtain many other things. After say Dunkin Donuts is done with their food for the day they just throw the rest away in trash bags but only with food so no mixed food garbage bullshit. You can feed yourself for a while with a garbage bag of donuts, bagels, etc.

Asking for Food: You will need to look bum, and I mean bum for this. No clean clothes, no fucking piercings at all, and wear basic clothing which means no fucking "expensive," logos on the shirts. Go into a pizzeria and just ask for a slice and just say you're homeless and 9/10 times they'll give it to you maybe a drink if you're extra polite and extra homeless (I lol'd at that joke)

Stealing: You're on totse, you know. But an extra tip, a gallon of water costs like 1.50$ instead of a bullshit babynut size thats like 1.75. Go panhandling and get like 2.00$ and steal something but buy something so its not obvious as fuck. Another good trick to steal if take something and then just get a pack of matches if you can't buy anything. If you have money, buy a half pound of cheese and bread (tip from xxombie)

Homeless Shelter: Go to your local homeless shelter and ask them when they have breakfast, lunch, and dinner and go.

Sleeping

Couch surfing
Sleeping in public
Squatting

Couch Surfing: www.couchsurfing.com is a great place. Since you're homeless probably won't have bail money, do NOT rob these people. Seriously, have some morals here.

Friends are great to sleep at. Don't overstay your welcome unless you're sure as fuck they do not mind or want you there. I overstayed my welcome once, not friends with my oldest best friend anymore.

Sleeping in public: Don't sleep in public at boston or LA. New York City are pretty kind towards homeless people. Gazebos in parks are a great place to sleep, especially when it is raining. The street sucks to sleep at, never any quietness in the cities and you will need a sleeping bag. Forests are overlooked usually from what I've seen, buy a tent and sleep there. Same goes for beaches.

Squatting: Squatting is a finding a building/house that is abandoned and sleeping in it. You could also study the construction schedule on some building being constructed and sleep on nights you know no one is working there or when it is raining, then they usually won't work. Another way good tip is sleeping on roofs. You could use this quote to get into buildings that require a bell system. Try to use buildings with more than 3 floors so no one can verify you're lying because they probably don't know each other.

GUIDE TO GETTING INTO BUILDINGS
Sorry for disturbing you but I live in apartment xx and I left the door open downstairs but someone closed it, could you please ring me in?

Or you can substitute this for delivery.

If the roof system doesn't have the stupid fire alarm system on it then you may enter, it'll warn you usually if the fire alarm works. If you can't access the roof then just sleep in the stairwell if it has a floor right before the roof (My building does). If it has a camera, don't worry about it, its recording but no one is monitoring it so don't worry.

You can also pick the locks.

Equipment

Backpack
Toiletries
Sleeping bag
Tent (Depending on your sleeping situation)
Cell phone (If you're begging then you'll have no problem paying for one)
Cup (Beggars only)

MORE TO COME. Trust me, I have a lot of info.

Comments

• DaSkipperDaSkipper Regular
    edited July 2010
    Reserved.
  • edited July 2010
    Just to add a bit of input: If one is homeless, the library is your best friend for internet access. Also, fountains aren't too bad of a place to jack some change if you're desperate for a meal.
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    Tihs im lookjkgin forward to
    edited September 2010
    Finally got around to doing this. Adding a lot more later but I'm going out now.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Mosques are a good place to hang around if you're a Muslim. They offer toilet services and you can sleep in them from time to time.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm really looking forward to this guide, it's going to be a great one. Don't skimp on that dumpster diving, its awesome!
    edited September 2010
    Monday I'll continue for sure, if not monday, tuesday for sure. I'm kinda drunk right now but this guide will take time.
    edited September 2010
    Quick thing, whats that word where you're staying in like an abandon house or somewhere not occupied for the night? I completely forgot it and I do it a lot.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    edited September 2010
    Uhh, you forgot the penny stove!

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/

penny3.jpg

Trust me, I'm not even 10% finished.
  • edited September 2010
    Hahaa, I can't wait for this.
    edited September 2010
    This is going to be a long while, sorry guys but I can't be on a computer for more than an hour at a time and I got more stuff to do. This will be done by 2011.
  • edited September 2010
    DaSkipper wrote: »
    This is going to be a long while, sorry guys but I can't be on a computer for more than an hour at a time and I got more stuff to do. This will be done by 2011.

That's not so far away really. I'ma holding on!
  • edited January 2011
    Squatting is the word you were looking for. Tell me more about this homelessness
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    i was homeless for 2 months............
    pretty acurate......
  • edited January 2011
    I'm still waiting for this guide :(
    edited January 2011
    ...I know. I will write it but not now.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    I like the look of this. I have some good tips if you need any input from others? A few of my friends are Anarchist squatter types and I have learnt a thing or 2 from my time with them :)
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    Building on rfom what DFG said about eating at a mosque if you are a Muslim - if you have a Siehk temple - a Gurdwara in you area and you a relativly clean - go along at lunchtime. As long as you cover your hair and remove your shoes and act respectful - just follow what the others are doing - wash you hand on entry, act calm and with a bit of decorum, bow to the scriptures and what not - you will see others doing the same, you will get a good meal.

The good thing about this is you do not even have to be a Siehk - anyone can go. When I am working near a Gurwara, I always go for lunch. You will see others like you - I often see a lot of travelling workers like builders go there too.

The only thing you have to remember to do whilst there is show a bit of respect.
  • CavernHarpyCavernHarpy Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    Well I could certainly provide a few pointers.

Almost every city has food banks, homeless shelters and churches that will feed you and give away hygiene stuff. Often you can find places to shower and sleep as well. If you get into a new city you can usually find the where the local homeless hang out. Be nice to them, find some friendly ones and they will tell you where to go and when to get whatever the city has available.

A good way to sleep is to become nocturnal. You can sleep during the day in a public place like a park or beach and blend in with other people laying down.

I use a tent to stay out of the rain. If you walk far enough/ask around you'll always find woods to set it up in. If you can scrape together 20 bucks get the smallest one at walmart and save the receipt. Then you can be completely careless with it because you can get a brand new one everytime you see a walmart. Other guys use tarps, some guys use nothing and sometimes get cold and wet with sucks.

Talk to strangers. The more people you meet the more likely you'll get a ride, a meal, a shower, laundry, money, an oddjob, a bed for a night whatever.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    bump. ever going to finish this?
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Would be nice to see this finished, its interesting :)
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    LOL this is a guide? Bahahahahaha!
  • edited May 2011
    DaSkipper is a lying scumbag who can't write a guide :facepalm:
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited May 2011
    Why would you post a guide you knew was nowhere near finished?

Anyway, actual question - has anyone ever been fucked over by couch surfing? It's something I'm interested in, but I have this nagging paranoia telling me that some hosts could be, well, "not nice people".

A little tip I discovered when rubber tramping around the Scottish Highlands last summer - it actually works out cheaper to buy a 2l bottle of supermarket value spring water than to buy water purification tablets and purify your own stream water (even if you are in a rural area where you can't refill the bottle from a restroom tap). Purification tablets are only necessary if space/weight is an issue.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited May 2011
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    Why would you post a guide you knew was nowhere near finished?

Anyway, actual question - has anyone ever been fucked over by couch surfing? It's something I'm interested in, but I have this nagging paranoia telling me that some hosts could be, well, "not nice people".

A little tip I discovered when rubber tramping around the Scottish Highlands last summer - it actually works out cheaper to buy a 2l bottle of supermarket value spring water than to buy water purification tablets and purify your own stream water (even if you are in a rural area where you can't refill the bottle from a restroom tap). Purification tablets are only necessary if space/weight is an issue.

You talking iodine tabs?

That's fucking gross, I have them as a backup but I've only ever used them once, can't stand the taste. So I also carry a katadyn guide filter, and bleach.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited May 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    You talking iodine tabs?

That's fucking gross, I have them as a backup but I've only ever used them once, can't stand the taste. So I also carry a katadyn guide filter, and bleach.

No chlorine dioxide solution in a dropper bottle. Not quite tasteless, but still completely palatable. More so than iodine tabs anyway.
  • t3chn0p4nd4t3chn0p4nd4 Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    Quick thing, whats that word where you're staying in like an abandon house or somewhere not occupied for the night? I completely forgot it and I do it a lot.

Squatting.
    edited July 2011
    FUCK THIS. I JUST WROTE A SHIT TON AND IT DIDN'T FUCKING SAVE. FUCK THIS. I'll work on it tomorrow, I promise :]
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    FUCK THIS. I JUST WROTE A SHIT TON AND IT DIDN'T FUCKING SAVE. FUCK THIS. I'll work on it tomorrow, I promise :]

Sure sure, I'll believe it when I see it.
  • edited July 2011
    lol, he didn't write anything.

Protip: Write it all out in a text editor before pasting it into here so that you can save it from accidental damage :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Protip: Use Lazarus :)
    edited July 2011
    But I did work on it :[

Something happened where it went to a new page and it erased all the stuff I wrote. :[
  • edited July 2011
    It's alright dude, don't worry about it. There's no rush, although it would be awesome to see what you've got to say about homelessness as it's a pretty interesting subject. I know it sucks to lose work but if you can be bothered to write it up again, it would be great.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    Hey you pile of shit come finish this.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    edited July 2011
    UPDATED SLEEPING
  • edited July 2011
    I like where this guide is going, great job on the sleeping section :) Thanks for updating this, it will be awesome when it's finished.
    edited April 2012
    Instead of not finishing this guide, I will compromise and do this.

Read this topic

http://www.totseans.com/bbs/threads/22380-Homeless-blog?p=240810#post240810
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2012
    Glad to see it finally came through :) had a quick skim and looks like I could learn a few things :thumbsup: