How can I deal better with nerves?

edited May 2011 in Life
This thread is about the anxiety I get when I find myself in trouble for something. Yeah yeah, stay out of trouble in the first place, I know. Hear me out though. For the most part, I DO stay out of trouble, but I think that's the problem in the first place. I'm rarely confronted for doing something wrong, but on the occasion that I do, I just lock up and the nerves get the better of me. Whether it's a cop or college staff, I just go braindead. I can't talk properly or string a sentence together which really sucks. If I could talk like I can when I'm not nervous, I'd be able to talk my way out of a LOT of stuff.

I know it's a fact that I need to man up when it comes to it, but I rarely get confronted for doing something wrong so I don't really have the experience anymore. When I was younger, I used to get in shit quite a lot. It's died down since growing up, but there's always the odd occasion.

Anyway, how do you think I can combat these nerves?

Comments

• NickNick Locked
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I have the same question as well :)
  • edited May 2011
    It's also annoying to note that after a confrontation, I think of a million things that I could have said which would have been SO much better than what I actually came out with :facepalm:
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited May 2011
    No, quit being a pussy.

Learn how to breathe properly

Think about the problem

relax

kick ass
  • edited May 2011
    No, quit being a pussy.

Learn how to breathe properly

Think about the problem

relax

kick ass

Breathing techniques... Hmm. What's the best method of breathing to maximize relaxation? This could be useful, as well as getting my mind to stay focused.
    edited May 2011
    thats all it is.

Control is the hard part. Practice makes perfect. :)
  • NickNick Locked
    edited May 2011
    thats all it is.

Control is the hard part. Practice makes perfect. :)

Can you define the kick ass ?, am not joking really:) am a Faggot when it comes to kick ass, I prefer to run the hell out as quickly as possible , rather than stay and kick ass, but will act as total perfect in advance guy , though if the other one is crazy enough to not buy my bluff , I will follow the run the hell out of there......:facepalm:

Any suggestions ?:o
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited May 2011
    edited May 2011
    Nick wrote: »
    Can you define the kick ass ?, am not joking really:) am a Faggot when it comes to kick ass, I prefer to run the hell out as quickly as possible , rather than stay and kick ass, but will act as total perfect in advance guy , though if the other one is crazy enough to not buy my bluff , I will follow the run the hell out of there......:facepalm:

Any suggestions ?:o

Not running or stuttering when being confronted. Stand your ground

dont look away. Give eye contact and show your not a bitch.

so do steps 1 2 3

and more than likely you'll still get the shit beat out of you

but at least you will take an ass whopping like a man. :cool:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited May 2011
    Not running or stuttering when being confronted. Stand your ground

dont look away. Give eye contact and show your not a bitch.

so do steps 1 2 3

and more than likely you'll still get the shit beat out of you

but at least you will take an ass whopping like a man. :cool:

Not if you do it right.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited May 2011
    I think maybe it's the adrenaline rush that doesn't allow you to think..I have felt this before, it felt like my body couldn't stop shaking. It is just a matter of being calm and aware of your sourroundings.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    I think you are anxious because you are no longer in control of what is happening and feel helpless. I think that if you live your life with the mindset with: I can tackle any situation, any problem is a challenge for me to overcome then your doing ok :) When you are not in control, you do not have a course of action, you are all jumbled up so you can not think straight. What I do is think in bullet points: what do I need to do?
    3. So on and so forth. When you have a plan of action, you are no longer helpless and now you are in control because you have something to do. That is my theory anyway :)
  • edited May 2011
    I think you are anxious because you are no longer in control of what is happening and feel helpless. I think that if you live your life with the mindset with: I can tackle any situation, any problem is a challenge for me to overcome then your doing ok :) When you are not in control, you do not have a course of action, you are all jumbled up so you can not think straight. What I do is think in bullet points: what do I need to do?
    3. So on and so forth. When you have a plan of action, you are no longer helpless and now you are in control because you have something to do. That is my theory anyway :)

It's hard to think in bullet points when you're on the spot being confronted though. I guess it might help to plan ahead, in case you're caught doing something daft. Know what you're going to say when you're caught, kinda thing.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Breathing techniques... Hmm. What's the best method of breathing to maximize relaxation? This could be useful, as well as getting my mind to stay focused.
    When people start to panic, they tend to breathe shallow and rapidly, which only increases anxiety and makes thing A LOT worse. Slow, deep breaths are rapidly calming. It's almost instant, and makes it way easier to think. It works, just make sure you maintain your breathing while thinking.
    Do what I do, convince yourself you don't give a fuck what happens and things get real calm. Many of the 'Nam vets I know and hang out with at the VFW tell me sort of the same thing about how they made it through their tours. One of them put it something like this.

"When I first got in country I was scared to death. I figured I was never going to make it out alive. So I gave myself up for dead. Once I gave myself up for dead it became very easy for me to act without fear."

So just pretend you are dead and nothing can hurt you. Once you can get to the point of not caring you can act without the bonds of fear crippling your actions.
    Also this to some extent. You can't teach it, and I can't give advice for it. You need to be in a constantly stressful situation in order to achieve the mindset.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited May 2011
    Do what I do, convince yourself you don't give a fuck what happens and things get real calm. Many of the 'Nam vets I know and hang out with at the VFW tell me sort of the same thing about how they made it through their tours. One of them put it something like this.

"When I first got in country I was scared to death. I figured I was never going to make it out alive. So I gave myself up for dead. Once I gave myself up for dead it became very easy for me to act without fear."

So just pretend you are dead and nothing can hurt you. Once you can get to the point of not caring you can act without the bonds of fear crippling your actions.

this just dont give a fuck about it, dont make yourself think you're in trouble play it calm n cool. i haz a feeling the reason you get nervous is because u never lied too many times.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    My favourite stress reliever is solipsism. Just tell yourself everything is your own imagination and in the end, nothing really matters.
  • edited May 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    My favourite stress reliever is solipsism. Just tell yourself everything is your own imagination and in the end, nothing really matters.

Holy shit, I like this one! Fuck, that's awesome :) Good thinking Mayberry dude.
  • Sarahlov3lySarahlov3ly Regular
    edited May 2011
    I have such anxiety anymore. I even bitched out the other day and just left class before I had to do a speech. :( As for thinking about things I'm one to over think EVERYTHING..It keeps me out of trouble but it also causes so much stress
  • Ad NauseamAd Nauseam Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    I shall apply the arcane techniques of not shitting yourself before a drama exam (I assume they apply here). The obvious thing is breathing as people have already said, it's not just about breathing deeply, it's about controlling that breath absolutely. Count it off if you have to just slow it down.

Something that can go hand in hand with this is heart rate, naturally it's not something you can control as easily since your sympathetic nervous system (I think it's that one) won't slow it down until it perceives you as out of danger. However this can make it easier to notice in the first place since it seems so much louder. Just listen to it and think "slow" it might not actually slow down but at least when you focus on it you won't notice whatever it is that's causing the anxiety as much....ideally, anyway.

Beyond that, I find it helps to move, not in a walking sort of way, just flail wildly to dissipate energy, it probably doesn't help but it feels quite satisfying. In situations where this would appear inappropriate, just don't do it.

Construct sentences in advance of the situation and commit them to memory (very easy if you have a performance). The important thing is not that you use these sentences when you are confronted. That probably won't help. But if you can get your headspace ordered enough to recall unrelated sentences it's more likely that you can create new responses on the spot.

There's probably more to it. I have an exam next week I'll see if I can add anything then.