Drummers unite!

LethargicaLethargica Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I fucking love drums. Rhythm means everything to me; whether it's walking, talking, making turn signals, a lot of things in life revolve around rhythm.

I play set, and other random percussion instruments (there's actually a technique to playing a triangle!) here and there, but my favorite type of drumming is pure rudimental shit; I'm talking about drumlines. It requires so much from you; precision, technique, and most importantly: thinking as one unit. This is a professional drumline that i have associated with in the past:

It's a hard listen to the untrained ear, turn your speakers up to enhance quality.

They are so fucking dope! every section is thinking alike in terms of technique, tempo, and approach!

So Totse, if you are a drummer, please share some past experiences you had in drumming, or how much you like to bang shit.

Most importantly keep drumming! That was the last thing someone said to me in my last (and final) drumline competition and i want to pass that on to you veterans.

Comments

• TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuck yea drums. Every show is a masterpiece,
  • VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited July 2010
    Played for about 12 years now. I admire the technical skill of those guys in drumlines but I always found that kind of thing a bit boring. Prefer to either just play along to music or jam with a few friends. Don't play that seriously any more though, more of a hobby.

Favourite stuff to play along to: Tool (Rosetta Stoned and Jambi probably the two most fun songs to play. The Mars Volta's first three albums had pretty incredible drumming too, eg. Eriatarka and Viscera Eyes, both have interesting china patterns and interesting time signatures.
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've played for about 6 years. Currently playing in a Horror Punk band. I'll dig up some pics of my kit when I get my laptop working again. Which reminds me, I need some new sticks.
  • trickstertrickster Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I've been playing on and off for about 8 years now, mostly just jamming with people though.
  • StaplesStaples Regular
    edited July 2010
    I am not a drummer, but all three times I made a serious [but unskilled and simple] attempt to play, it was massively fun. If I was ever calling the shots, our drummer would be at the front.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2010
    TLV wrote: »
    I've played for about 6 years. Currently playing in a Horror Punk band. I'll dig up some pics of my kit when I get my laptop working again. Which reminds me, I need some new sticks.

Thats fucking dope! I was in a metal band once but it didn't turn out too well. Interested in seeing your kit and what sticks do you use for set? I prefer vaders or vic firth
    Staples wrote: »
    I am not a drummer, but all three times I made a serious [but unskilled and simple] attempt to play, it was massively fun. If I was ever calling the shots, our drummer would be at the front.

It is fun! once you get into it, you never stop drumming.

When people walk, or go up stairs, i often split a persons footsteps into 16/triplet partials or just on upbeats.

I drum on any surface that seems drummable. It's almost like a OCD to me, sometimes i don't even realize i'm druming.
    edited July 2010
    Lethargica wrote: »
    I drum on any surface that seems drummable. It's almost like a OCD to me, sometimes i don't even realize i'm druming.

Haha yeah. Every time I'm at a computer or something like that I unconsciously start drumming on the desk. Had a lot of people tell me to shut the fuck up :).
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    Lethargica wrote: »
    Thats fucking dope! I was in a metal band once but it didn't turn out too well. Interested in seeing your kit and what sticks do you use for set? I prefer vaders or vic firth

It is fun! once you get into it, you never stop drumming.

When people walk, or go up stairs, i often split a persons footsteps into 16/triplet partials or just on upbeats.

Pro Mark makes these sticks I like, 5AN with nylon tips. But I can never find them at stores so I usually end up getting just 5A with what ever brand. I play a 03" Pearl Export, 12x10 Rack tom, 15x14 and 16x14 floor toms(yes thats a 15" tom) 24x16 Kick and a 13" Joey Jordison Sig snare(shutup it sounds awesome). For cymbals I use Zildjian 14" a Custom hihats, Some shitty 8" budget brand splash, 20" Zildjian A Custom Crash, 19" Zildjian A Rock Crash, 21 Sabian Metal-X Ride, and a 20" Paiste RUDE Novo China.

And I always drum on random shit too. I'm constantly told to STFU.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2010
    Hell yeah I love the drums. I've been playing on and off for 7 years (usually slow down for awhile when I start needing new stuff; I'm poor). I have a pretty standard set.. 5 piece Pearl Export with a 14" and 16" crash and 20" ride (all are Sabian).

I really need to go buy new heads.. anyone know a good brand? I usually use Evans but I'm thinking about trying out some clear Remos
    edited July 2010
    duuude wrote: »
    I really need to go buy new heads.. anyone know a good brand? I usually use Evans but I'm thinking about trying out some clear Remos

Only ever used Remo but their pinstripe heads (with clear bottom head) sound good and are real easy to tune. Their coated ones are good too but a bit harder to tune.

Edit: Don't think much of clear heads personally, always end up putting tape on to muffle them.
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    I always use Evans. The coated heads last 10x longer without wearing out.