Best Lyricists?

SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
edited June 2011 in Spurious Generalities
In Music, who is the best lyricist.

I'm a huge Rock fan, but I must admit, some of the shit that rappers come up with is just incredible.

Del Da Funky Homosapien
Gift of Gab
Biggie Smalls

some of the best Lyricist I've heard ever.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    Selena Gomez
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited May 2011
    Tech N9ne
    [ame=" - Tech N9ne - Come Gangsta Lyrics[/ame]
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Not good with names and I don't really focus on the lyrics. For me it's all about the music and the way each string is strung and how the wavelengths merge and make something new. If I focused on Lyrics too much I would lose track of the music. For me it's everything, the hard thumbing bass that moves my body and the soft sound of an instrument playing in a deserted hall that opens my ears and refreshes my brain or an intensely played violin that forces me to close my eyes and just think about something unique.

Lyrics are great for some but I am not used to them.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    [ame=" - Freestyle 101 - Gift of Gab[/ame]

This freestyle is pretty damn insane.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited May 2011
    def biggie, eminem. but lyrics can hit deep without being complex. these are just the more complex fellows.
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited May 2011
    It has to be Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited May 2011
    Greg and Brett from Bad Religion.
    The stuff they come up with and their choice of words are amazing.
    Its allmost like rapping sometimed, the way the words flow.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    The entirity of Pink Floyd (if they did their own lyrics, I'm not too clued up on that. I'm usually tripping too hard to care as the lyrics just take me away).

Example:

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
    Running over the same old ground.
    What have you found? The same old fears.
    Wish you were here.

"Strangers passing in the street
    By chance two separate glances meet
    And I am you and what I see is me
    And do I take you by the hand
    And lead you through the land
    And help me understand the best I can "

Also, Steppenwolf and Cris Williamson are pretty damn good.

"Wish I knew the way back
    Back to where you came
    Gladly I would leave here
    Take another name
    I can tell by you, it must be true
    It's up on Jupiter's face
    They don't embrace our own disgrace
    Somebody, help me off this place"

"Sometimes it takes a rainy day
    Just to let you know
    Everything's gonna be - all right
    All right"

The first bit puts a shiver own my spine...every time.
  • PsychoDelicPsychoDelic Regular
    edited May 2011
    Me. No competition.
    I'll post some lyrics in a bit.
    I don't know much about lyrics outside of rap. Diabolic, sage francis, louis logic, rhyme asylum, eminem, atmosphere, tech n9ne, blackalisious, m.c j.u.i.c.e, bo burnham, brother ali, joe budden, jedi mind tricks, ed sheeran, LisP, NaS, plan b, R.A the rugged man, sway, tonedeff.
  • edited May 2011
    There's not another rapper anywhere who does it like ODB did.

• MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited June 2011
    The lyrics I tend to like the most are those written by singer/song writers and acoustic artists like Marissa Nadler, Karen Dalton, Phil Ochs, Jim White, Willy Mason, Townes van Zandt, Frank Turner and Billy Bragg. A favourite that springs to mind right now is:

The sad irony of Love is how so seldom you feel it, yet it's all you dream about, night and day.
    From the splinter in the hand, to the thorn in the heart, to the shotgun to the head,
    You got no choice but to learn to glean solace from pain or you'll end up cynical or dead.
    Me, I got 10 miles to go on a 9 mile road and it's a rocky rough road, but I don't care.
    For life's nothing if not a blind rambling prayer,
    You keep your head held high, a'walking and a'talking and a'talking and a'walking,
    'til the power of Love deliver you there.

- Jim White

Bands like Propagandhi, Star Fucking Hipsters, Leftover Crack, Dead Kennedys have some bitching angry lyrics. I've gone of them a little with each newer album they've released, but some of Rise Against's older stuff is insanely good. Every track off The Unraveling is lyrical gold.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2011
    I can't belive no ones mentioned Bob Dylan yet!

Everything RemadeE posted is spot on as well.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited June 2011
    Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Jim Morrison, Roger Daltrey, Thom York, Conor Oberst
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited June 2011
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    Star Fucking Hipsters

Saw them last year in blackpool, they did a fucking good set. Great lyrics that flow really well.
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited June 2011
    soulja boy :o
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited June 2011
    1. Robert Hunter
    2. Bob Dylan
    3. Paul Simon
    4. Tom Waits
    5. John Lennon

Not in any real order.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited June 2011
    Lysdexic wrote: »
    Saw them last year in blackpool, they did a fucking good set. Great lyrics that flow really well.

Sweet. They're one of a number of bands I haven't managed to see yet and would like to do so asap.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited June 2011
    2 pac
    &
    Jim Morrison

game over
    edited June 2011
    Well? :mad:

This is from a love song, I think I'm good I could be wrong. Also my rhyme schemes may be quite confusing. I am more of a word play and rhyming lyricist. Furthermore it might not rhyme in your heads without my fucked up accent and enunciation.

We're the perfect couple/ just some double-singles/ always close when we snuggle-pringles/ we just keep chasing eachother like blades of a windmill/ when we're apart you can see through my face like pain in a window/

[Because windows are "see through" and it's 'pane'-ful when we are apart.
    I think the rest make enough sense for me not to explain it.]

Two crazy kids/ who call eachother baby it's/ strange see/ 'cos most ladies hate me/ mainly 'cos I have drug problems/ made me say fuck the lot-of-'em/ and it's not often, in fact never/ when I'm caught on one that acts better/ she floats/ my boat/ and wouldn't sink my relation-Ship/ I really think she's the safest bitch/ I crave this chick/

[Does this one really need any explanation?]

I sit blazing blunts/ lift to a lip laced with cuts/ my tongues tied together too, so mr. zip lips is placed with nuts/ I guess that's why they call me KP/ the definition of crazy/ a schizo/ squeezing a pistol/ 'till it blow/ oh and if I had a shit flow/ I would have stayed in the sewers/ instead of spitting a sickening page of the truest/ words ever heard coming from a performer on a stage before boo-ers/ live-er than any other nine to fiver/ mother fuckers try na hide ma/ undiscovered lines that rhyme up/ in correct formation/ with perfect pronunciation/

[The first part is all about me not being very talkative. "place with nuts" and "call me KP" is because you get the brand KP nuts and my initials are KP. Even though I meant nuts as in crazies. Shit flow as in rapping, shit flow as in what goes through the sewers.]

Whenever I play my psychedelic guitar, I have ta grab/ the acid tab/ as I can't stand/ sheets of notation/ I'm a Caucasian/ and right get this I spit bars/ over flip charts/ so I create bar graphs/ (bar grafs) like I spray ma tags/ inside your local boozer/ due to the fact, that I act, like a total looser/ a little bit ruder, with a big bit of rum-in/ and when I lube up I start cumin/ I told you once to stop tuba, start drummin'/
    I strum the silver 'trip'/ wire string/ psychedelic/ guitar.

[I was coming down from acid when I wrote this, does it make sense now?]

I don't even know why, I go high, to everything/ shit I'll be high, when I try, the wedding ring/

I have more, but feel I have discredited my self enough as it is.

Here's one I copy pasta from my youtube video.

The lyrics in this are a kind of loose word-play style. I may be a bit confusing and hectic. A lot of it is just brain storms, semantic fields, metaphors, similies and imagery.

Lyrics-
    I put the Mess before Sage.
    So far underground/ been six feet, where the sick sleep, now I got a monster-sound/ 'cos their bones-around/ with the dinosaurs/ but time-has-saw-us/ well, while, hell's, heat/ burnin' my feet/ with the earths-core/ you heard-raw/ sick, shit, spit, from these-lips/ so please-bitch/ you say a pic-tures worthy of a thousand-words/ but these scriptures-work/ round like thirdy inch rims/ that spin/ in your mind/ like a cin-ema roll in rewind/ I'm backwards/ moon walking with high standards/ zero gravity/ I have with-me/ I'm so-high/ I don't-just-fly/ I sky-rocket/ like a locked-fridge/ I'm icy with my gun cocked-kid/ let it blow, like a so-lar flare/ I tear, hair, from a scientist-brehr/ for lying-it's-fair/ from follicle/ to molecule/ I shot-y'all/ it's possible/ to stop-a-fall/ mid-air/ like I did-care/ an just-die/ like the trust-of-my/ life, now it's rife, with cash, gash, stash and happinash, the happines/ of havin'-this/ stampin' in of floor boards/ sure-of-course/ I prefer it to puchin' in/ now I'm crunchin' it/ eating-experiences-like-cereal/ fleeing-incidence-as-in-serial/ killer/ done-dealer/ dumb-stealer/ now clear-I/ go to ambitions/ decisions/ to wait/ and premeditate/ let fate/ take/ me away from criminal admissions/ bit of deposition/ I actuate/ to sedate/ and educate/ whilst, I self, medicate/ more traditional/ than traditions tho/ ain't, for saints, so I spit on y'all tea-and-cupcakes/ british kid with the sea-of-mug-fakes/ like I see an ocean of tears, when these thugs-break/ fuck-snakes.
    Some-simple/ dumb-info/ name's-kalvin-page/ tame, but I calm-and-rage/ sane, but I Barrack O-bomb a stage/ flame, like 'nam before-the-eights/ I carry power like a president/ except I represent/ a tenamant/ of a useless CUNTry/ teachers want to flunk-me/ 'cos I stump-these/ intelligence levels/ and I'm negligent, don't revel/ they get jealous yo/ oh so jealous oh/ greeen-eyes/ victimize/ and seek-lies/ just 'cos I terrorise/ I mean intelec-torise/ I blow your mind/ help your intellect rise.
    My flow/ find it's comfort zone/ in another world/ where it's just dumpsters-home/ so I can hurl/ these dumber-gnomes/ from the garden, to the trash-heap/ my cash-leap/ the excersize made it harden, now that's-steep/ like walking-walls/ talking-to-angels/ from hell, I'm angHellic/ impressive/ yes-it's/ les- deceptive/ than I used-to-be/ truthly/ it's new-to-me/ euphoria/ never board-of-ya/ as long as I trip, whether endorsed or illegal/ I'll continue to skip, through life, galloping horse or sweeping eagle/ I-feel-real/ less-evil/ more-smiles/ to warn-off-denial/ any trail, wont tribulate me/ a skyfall, could stipulate me/ geatly/ to agree I'm on top of things, sittin' on the clouds/ scream loud/ so you can hear me/ don't fear me/ tho god complex/ got honest/ it's further/ I've been a lurker/ in the deep-pits of depression/ but now I'm expressin'/ as I read-this/ like I bleed-wrist/ I write-pain/ red-writing/ instead-of-fighting/ I make your heart heammorage/ I hold leverage/ within my message/ 'cos I make your soul-bleed/ although, we all-need/ flow-an'-beats/ to beat-the-flow/ of main-stream/ ear-pain/ on another note, I don't, beat-the-ho/ I sleep when I feel like mister-raul/ moat, don't take to the streets-and-blow/ a tech, instead, I protect, my castle/ and queen, 'cos after-all/ she's my dream, like this whole song / I never go wrong/ loosely connected, but tightening up/ choose to be respected, now it's lightening up/ take a picture of life/ change my frame of mind/ beautiful casing/ with borders of dream chasing/ but I'm leading/ dreams chase me, 'cos I'm achieving/ screams face me, 'cos I'm misdeamening/ and felonising/ recognising/ that I'm a actual, natural, criminal/ been-in-brawls/ fiend-and-crawled/ been-through-it-all/ yes I've been caught Up/ but never court bruv/ I'm not just running the track/ I'm painting it their behind my back/ sprinting-so-fast/ not swimming-in-baths/ free-dom/ I see 'em/ you catch my drift?
    Well I didn't throw it so you shouldn't, I'm not current, but I'm awake. Not a wet, which is why I'm good hot/ like chilli-sause/ flavour with a silly-cost/ now I'm really off.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Pink Floyd
    I'll agree with this.
    Not much goes quite as a deep as Pink Floyd
    edited June 2011
    Record it then.

Done it :o
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited June 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    The entirity of Pink Floyd (if they did their own lyrics, I'm not too clued up on that. I'm usually tripping too hard to care as the lyrics just take me away).

Example:
    How I wish, how I wish you were here.
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
    Running over the same old ground.
    What have you found? The same old fears.
    Wish you were here.
    bornkiller wrote: »
    I'll agree with this.
    Not much goes quite as a deep as Pink Floyd

"And We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year
    running over the same old ground and how we found the same old fears
    How I wish you were here"...OMG I die a little every time I hear this song and it is an amazing awesome death, the best kind. When you fade out and nothing hurts.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2011
    ducklips wrote: »
    "And We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year
    running over the same old ground and how we found the same old fears
    How I wish you were here"...OMG I die a little every time I hear this song and it is an amazing awesome death, the best kind. When you fade out and nothing hurts.
    I crack a chubby playing it. :o
  • GoldenVGoldenV Regular
    edited June 2011
    The Grouch (and Eligh).

But mainly the Grouch.

He's so awesome.