"Script Kiddies" Hack Fox News Account, Tweet Obama's Death

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited July 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Normally I don't find anything amusing about hackers or their feats. Not that I have anything against them mind you, it is just not anything that I have ever been entertained by. But this is priceless. I also appreciate the irony of having chosen FOX's tweet as opposed to any other news agency's feed. Making it seem as if the right side of media outlet falsely reported the death of the farthest left leaning president since FDR was a brilliant choice.
Jul 4 2011, 6:34 PM ET

President Obama is alive and well. Today, he is celebrating the Fourth of July by hosting a barbecue for military families and administration staffers on the lawn of the White House. But close followers of Fox News might not know that.

Early this morning, six tweets went out over one of the Twitter accounts managed by Fox News, @foxnewspolitics, which described in graphic and convincing detail how the president had been shot and killed while campaigning in Iowa. The first read: "@BarackObama has just passed. Nearly 45 minutes ago, he was shot twice in the lower pelvic area and in the neck; shooter unknown Bled out". (The rest of the tweets are displayed below.)

It wasn't until around noon -- ten hours after the messages had been posted -- that someone with access to the Twitter account, which has more than 38,000 followers, logged in and deleted them. Fox News also posted a statement on its website, calling the late-night tweets "false" and "malicious." "We will be requesting a detailed investigation from Twitter about how this occurred, and measured to prevent future unauthorized access into FoxNews.com accounts" said Jeff Misenti, vice president and general manager of Fox News Digital, who said the tweets were the result of a hack.

A representative from Script Kiddies, a hacking collective that is hoping to gain attention for itself and join forces with Anonymous, the group responsible for a number of widely-publicized hacks in recent months, told Stony Brook University's Think magazine that his team was behind the tweets. "We are looking to find information about corporations to assist with antisec," the representative said. "Fox News was selected because we figured their security would be just as much of a joke as their reporting."

FoxNewsObama-Post.jpg
Source

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Well, they had more fun on 4th than us :(.
  • edited July 2011
    How many people out there had Obama-death-parties planned for later tonight?
  • HarlequinHarlequin New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    I chuckled when I saw it was a fake. Wasn't completely surprised initially though, always thought he would be shot at some point by a white supremacist or something.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited July 2011
    Lol totse needs to do something like this. :thumbsup:
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    It's BS. It's Murdoch giving the gov't more ammo to use in their "Global Worldwide Secure Internet ID" gun.

It was amusing watching people today spiral further into debt (slavery) buying fireworks so that they can celebrate their "freedom". Happy fuckin' 4th.
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2011
    As amusing as all this recent hacking has been (LulzSec etc), it's getting fucking annoying. These hacking groups act so high and mighty about themselves it's ridiculous.
  • edited July 2011
    ^ Well, at least it gives the more underground hackers a chance to get by unnoticed :thumbsup: Maybe something else will get hacked on a more major scale and cause some drama. I fancy some good drama.