&T Herp thread

TurkishDelightTurkishDelight Acolyte
edited April 2011 in Life
Seeing if there are any other reptile/amphibian keepers here on these boards. I've owned a few different kingsnakes in the past, but currrently only have one snake, my purple albino retic which is only about a month old, and I've had for about a week now. Anyways, if there's anyother enthusiasts on here chime in fuckers.:mad:

Pics of my retic - Big Moe

1zvvoly.jpg
107o18x.jpg
f3b2w7.jpg

Comments

• Jolt890Jolt890 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Very beautiful. Lavender is the proper name I believe.

I won't spam your thread with all my reptiles. I'll make my own thread soon.

I have: 40+ Leopard Geckos, 12 or 13 snakes, can't remember (corns kings, pythons, and boas), a blue tonge skink, a bearded dragon, a savannha monitor, a tiger salamander, and two cats.
  • TurkishDelightTurkishDelight Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Jolt890 wrote: »
    Very beautiful. Lavender is the proper name I believe.

I won't spam your thread with all my reptiles. I'll make my own thread soon.

I have: 40+ Leopard Geckos, 12 or 13 snakes, can't remember (corns kings, pythons, and boas), a blue tonge skink, a bearded dragon, a savannha monitor, a tiger salamander, and two cats.

Clark Strain albinism comes in white, lavender, and purple. I'm still a little uncertain too about this guy wether he is lav or purple since he IS rather light for some of the purples out there, but the intensity of the color leads me to believe it's a purple since a lot of lavenders look alot more "washed out".

Jesus fuck that is a ton of geckos though. Why so many?:confused:

I don't think I'll ever own another non-python. After helping my friend raise his few and finally getting my own, if I ever want a small snake I'll just hock up the cash and buy a dwarf/super-dwarf retic. So cute.:p
  • Jolt890Jolt890 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    The purple does look dark but it could be contrast from the intense orange, regardless, it's fucking sick.

I have geckos cause they're ridiculously easy to keep.

I also have a variety because I have lots of ongoing breeding projects that I'm working on.

I also tend to take in rescues, I have a soft spot for little injured/sick leos and I'm damn good at making them all better.

Some of my collection:

DSC01107.jpgDSC01105.jpgDSC01104.jpgDSC01103.jpg
  • edited July 2010
    :eek: Some of those morphs look freaking sweet man. Any super-cool breeding project you are working on in particular? The friend who got me into retics back home where I used to live is also into the breeding thing. He tried to get his suntiger to mate with his albino super tiger this year butttt the female (albino super tiger) didn't want to have anything to do with that.:D He's pretty bummed since it was a large investment he put in to get those snakes.
  • edited July 2010
    My retic seems to be doing fine, and all the temperatures/gradient in the cage and the humidity have all been in the normal range, but he's keeping his mouth slightly open at the back corners. kind of like how a dogs hang down when the drool, but he's not drooling as there's no moisture collecting and I can't feel any on his face. I've been reading about RTI and it said "gaping" was a sign of a possible tract infection, but I can't find a picture of a python actually in the act of "gaping" so I could tell what exactly it looks like. I figured it to mean that there whole mouth would be open, maybe not completely extended but the whole mouth open instead of just the corners.

Anyways, anyone on here seen one "gaping"? (lol-gaping..hehe..heheh..ehehe)
  • Jolt890Jolt890 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't worry about the gaps if you notice no other signs of poor health and the gaps don't get worse. It could be a misplaced muscle/tendon/etc. after feeding. Make sure not to feed oversized prey, it may correct itself after the next feeding.

I had one of my pall pythons with a stuck open jaw on one side for a day or so. I made her eat another smaller mouse and she corrected it herself.
  • edited July 2010
    Seeing if there are any other reptile/amphibian keepers here on these boards. I've owned a few different kingsnakes in the past, but currrently only have one snake, my purple albino retic which is only about a month old, and I've had for about a week now. Anyways, if there's anyother enthusiasts on here chime in fuckers.:mad:

Pics of my retic - Big Moe

1zvvoly.jpg
    107o18x.jpg
    f3b2w7.jpg

You had best keep that thing properly maintained and caged in its later years. I've heard of many starting enthusiasts becoming broke and ditching their shit in the American wild or it getting loose and consuming their children or pets. There is a new pandemic in the Southeastern US due to this. Please pardon my assclownishness. Seriously though it is a beautiful specimen. How often do you feed it (I know not the true cost of maintenance but from what I gather it ain't cheap)?
  • edited July 2010
    You had best keep that thing properly maintained and caged in its later years. I've heard of many starting enthusiasts becoming broke and ditching their shit in the American wild or it getting loose and consuming their children or pets. There is a new pandemic in the Southeastern US due to this. Please pardon my assclownishness. Seriously though it is a beautiful specimen. How often do you feed it (I know not the true cost of maintenance but from what I gather it ain't cheap)?

The most expensive thing is the cage and the snake itself. Food isn't all that expensive if you can afford (in the later years) a good-sized rabbit every 10 days or so. It just get's so big eventually you have to convert a room or build a bigggg ass enclosure. Like I said I've had this one for about 4.5 days, tried feeding it two days ago and it didn't seem to want the f/t fuzzie so we's tryin' again tonight. If he doesn't eat tonight I'm gonna go buy one of those red-heat lamps for at night, try that out and see how he likes it, wait a couple days and try again on a freshly stunned.

If I wanted to get rid of this one I'm sure I could find a buyer somewhere-there's no need to just let it out in the wild. That's just stupid considering it's worth more when it's breeding size, and more if it's a proven breeder.

Mice are pretty fucking cheap.

Total though, snake+the cage I ordered cost me ~1100 bucks

snake - $450
    cage ~ $600
  • edited July 2010
    If I wanted to get rid of this one I'm sure I could find a buyer somewhere-there's no need to just let it out in the wild. That's just stupid considering it's worth more when it's breeding size, and more if it's a proven breeder.
    I wish more people would be this rational.
    The most expensive thing is the cage and the snake itself. Food isn't all that expensive if you can afford (in the later years) a good-sized rabbit every 10 days or so. It just gets so big eventually you have to convert a room or build a bigggg ass enclosure. Like I said I've had this one for about 4.5 days, tried feeding it two days ago and it didn't seem to want the f/t fuzzie so we's tryin' again tonight. If he doesn't eat tonight I'm gonna go buy one of those red-heat lamps for at night, try that out and see how he likes it, wait a couple days and try again on a freshly stunned.

Mice are pretty fucking cheap.

Total though, snake+the cage I ordered cost me ~1100 bucks

snake - $450
    cage ~ $600

I know nigh nothing about herpetology, so I am willing to admit my ignorance. I just watched a documentary on Nat Geo showing the invasion of reticulated and Burmese pythons potentially interbreeding in the Everglades to possibly produce a new hybrid.
  • edited July 2010
    I wish more people would be this rational.

I know nigh nothing about herpetology, so I am willing to admit my ignorance. I just watched a documentary on Nat Geo showing the invasion of reticulated and Burmese pythons potentially interbreeding in the Everglades to possibly produce a new hybrid.

retic x burmese is called a bateater

bateater x retic is a jungle

the only person I know who has a jungle is Ben Renick, and he has an albino anaconda too.:eek:

The "Jungle" is quite something though...
    http://www.benrenick.com/jungle_rt.html

Edit: He did not eat. :mad: hi ho hi ho it's off to buy more shit we go...:o
  • Jolt890Jolt890 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Like I said I've had this one for about 4.5 days

Leave it alone, it probably needs time to acclimate. Give it a good hide and some heat and let it explore for a while before you shove food in it's face and start taking pictures of it.

I wouldn't even be handling it until at least a couple weeks after bringing it in (I also have to worry about quarantine) I usually wait a week to feed any snake I acquire.

Stress is a big life-shortener for snakes. Especially if they're in a new environment.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome read, pics.

As far as herps go, my only experience has been that of Turtles and Tortoises. I've kept and bred box turtles, red eared sliders, kept mud turtles but unsuccessfully mated them, and owned a couple of old desert tortoises for a little less than a year.

Unfortunately that was a long time ago and I don't have pics except for my last pair of red eared sliders which were around 15 years old which I recently released in a nice little lake. Hopefully they can survive on their own even though they spent so much time in captivity.

They are very easy to take care of and breed as long as they have a right enclosure, environment and food. Maybe not as entertaining as other herps like snakes and lizards (which I also adore), but hey, some of us love those creatures :)
  • edited July 2010
    Vizier wrote: »
    Awesome read, pics.

As far as herps go, my only experience has been that of Turtles and Tortoises. I've kept and bred box turtles, red eared sliders, kept mud turtles but unsuccessfully mated them, and owned a couple of old desert tortoises for a little less than a year.

Unfortunately that was a long time ago and I don't have pics except for my last pair of red eared sliders which were around 15 years old which I recently released in a nice little lake. Hopefully they can survive on their own even though they spent so much time in captivity.

They are very easy to take care of and breed as long as they have a right enclosure, environment and food. Maybe not as entertaining as other herps like snakes and lizards (which I also adore), but hey, some of us love those creatures :)

I always thought tortoises were pretty sweet-I didn't think you could own them though. I thought they were all like endangered? I mean like the big BIG ones. Arent hose the desert tortoises
  • EbolaEbola Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Great looking pics and thread.
    I always thought tortoises were pretty sweet-I didn't think you could own them though. I thought they were all like endangered? I mean like the big BIG ones. Arent hose the desert tortoises
    Most tortoises are endangered and under the CITES protection = proof of breeding must follow the animal from birth through all sales in its life. The new rules require a picture of the bottom shield (which is unique in each individual) for some species. The irony though is that the Greek Tortois is endangered so not allowed to capture and sell, but many places in Greece they are so abundandt that the local farmers kill them to avoid them eating their crops..

I don´t have any terraiums at the moment, but have had:
    Sceloporus cyanogenis / Spiked Iguana
    Anolis carolinensis / Green Anole
    Iguana Iguana / Green Iguana
    Chamaeleo calyptratus / Veiled chameleon
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited July 2010

Yeah but I only kept species of the local variety, Desert tortoises (Gopherus agassizii) that other people gave me and such. They are threatened in parts of USA and Mexico as well; and as far as I remember the area where I lived is surrounded by a lot of wildland and people-free zones so all the animals released there should be doing allright.

I know a friend who still has a small population of these in his back yard and breeds them every year.
  • Runaway StaplerRunaway Stapler Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    I had to release my eastern painted turtle and give my two blanding's up to fish&wildlife since they're endangered, currently my only pet is a eastern red spotted newt which I caught wild and has been fine chompin on mollies for 3-4 years now.

This thread really makes me miss them though, I plan on hunting for an eastern painted hatchling to raise until I go back to uni/possibly beyond.

Fuck the net, I'm getting my net and going turtling :D
  • Runaway StaplerRunaway Stapler Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    alas, no reptilians today
    but here's a tiny little garter snake I found mowing a lawn a few weeks back-
    gartersnake1.jpggartersnake2.jpg

and here's a big 'ol bullfrog I caught just now!
    bullfro.jpg

fatass could hop 4' in a single bound, but let me get within 3' and hang out while I netted a couple mini sunfish. think's he's invisible or something...
  • Jolt890Jolt890 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    If you want to go herping, what I like to do is take a couple 2-3ft squares of tin out into the woods and leave them flat on the ground for a couple weeks then go back and check them. Snakes love them.
  • edited July 2010
    Jolt890 wrote: »
    If you want to go herping, what I like to do is take a couple 2-3ft squares of tin out into the woods and leave them flat on the ground for a couple weeks then go back and check them. Snakes love them.

That takes some balls imo as it's practically a chemical cocktail waiting to by IV'ed.
  • Jolt890Jolt890 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    That takes some balls imo as it's practically a chemical cocktail waiting to by IV'ed.

There are no venemous snakes in my area, just the same, I use a walking stick to flip the tin.

I'm pretty proficient with a snake hook anyways, it's rather safe for me, if I lived a couple states south I might consider adding a pull string to the tin to maximize my distance.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
    How the hell did I lose all my subscriptions?

resubscribed
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    T.Hammondii I used to have.

171_512x384.jpg

164_512x384.jpg