Selling stolen property

Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
edited July 2011 in Man Cave
Hypothetically, what are some good methods of selling stolen property? An item worth a bit but fairly common stolen, something like a GPS system.

You could take it to a pawnshop but they require an ID which could trace stolen property to the person. How risky is it to use a fake ID at a pawnshop? Let's pretend the ID has been using to buy alcohol countless times without flaw.

There's craigslist of course but that the fist place someone would watch if something was stolen from them.

I live in a pretty poor area. Like there are always crackheads walking around and shit. Could I just post up outside a gas station and ask people when they come out if they need a cheap GPS. I'm a small white dude though so I don't know if this would work, could get me in trouble with the crackheads too.

Ughh I don't know, I'm very low on money and need to get rid of this. Any ideas?

Comments

• waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    if its fairly common take it to the next town over and pawn it, youll get like 25 buck, you can craigslist it to and double your money.
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2011
    waffles wrote: »
    if its fairly common take it to the next town over and pawn it, youll get like 25 buck, you can craigslist it to and double your money.

You don't bother reading, do you?
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    You don't bother reading, do you?
    TAKE IT TO THE NEXT TOWN OVER FUCKTARD. what part of that was unclear? a stolen gps aint worth shit and if they registered it they can track it when you turn it on. next time steal a gun and shot yourself.
    edited July 2011
    TAKE IT TO THE NEXT TOWN OVER FUCKTARD. what part of that was unclear? a stolen gps aint worth shit and if they registered it they can track it when you turn it on. next time steal a gun and shot yourself.

I don't give a fuck where the pawnship is, I'm all over the fucking coast, I can sell it four states away if I want to. That's not what I asked dipshit.
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    I don't give a fuck where the pawnship is, I'm all over the fucking coast, I can sell it four states away if I want to. That's not what I asked dipshit.

if you can get four states away why you all im suck your dick for a cheeseburger broke? is 50$ gonna change your life? you asked i told you. 25 at pawn shop maybe 50 on craigslist. you seem whiny and bitch made, pookie the crack head will take your shit and you will post i got robbed by a crack head what should i do.
    edited July 2011
    if you can get four states away why you all im suck your dick for a cheeseburger broke? is 50$ gonna change your life? you asked i told you. 25 at pawn shop maybe 50 on craigslist. you seem whiny and bitch made, pookie the crack head will take your shit and you will post i got robbed by a crack head what should i do.
    LOL you don't know a god damn thing about me. $50 would more than change my life, I had to decide between eating and saving up $20 so I could buy a prepaid burner last week. Looks like I'll be losing some weight this week.

Regardless, I'm not sure why you think any of this is even remotely relevant to the topic of WHERE TO SELL STOLEN MERCHANDISE now kindly fuck off.
  • MegaKushMegaKush Regular
    edited July 2011
    There's craigslist of course but that the fist place someone would watch if something was stolen from them.

theres what, 10 million people in your city? You are a spec in the crowd. Don't be concerned if its a common item like an ipod.

Post in a different borough if you have to, subways go everywhere there

Does it feel good to be mean to someone in need?
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited July 2011
    Just use craigslist and other online selling sites. There isn't some magical detection system in place. It's local cops. Just fucking rob someone at night time. If you're really struggling, one person could seriously give you over $500 worth of shit (especially women, due to jewellery). If you're really gutsy, pull out a knife and force them to withdraw all their cash at an ATM. Cover your face up, disguise your voice, and you're looking at a regular session once a week.
    edited July 2011
    MegaKush wrote: »
    theres what, 10 million people in your city? You are a spec in the crowd. Don't be concerned if its a common item like an ipod.

Ah, I'm not in new york city, I'm in a much smaller city upstate.
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    MegaKush wrote: »

i told him how to do it.
  • tachosomozatachosomoza Regular
    edited July 2011
    People pawn shit with fake IDs all the time. Honestly, they know a lot of stuff is stolen. They're in business to make money, they couldn't give less of a fuck where it came from.
    edited July 2011
    You know what fuck it,I'm walking down there tomorrow. Even if he gives me shit i'll just snatch it back and book it.
    edited July 2011
    Is it a foreigner?
    edited July 2011
    There's a few shops in town, I haven't been to any of them though
    edited July 2011
    Also, be aware that before they take something, they check it against a list of all reported stolen property in the area. If your stuff is on the list, they're mandated by law to inform the police. They also must turn over all surveillance tapes.
  • edited July 2011
    I don't think that going to the pawn shop is the best idea - at least not until the heat's died down on the particular item you're wanting to sell. Give it a couple weeks and then put it on Craigslist. Better than risking your ass in the pawn shop isn't it? I know a couple weeks might seem like ages to you but I don't think you should risk the pawnshop so soon.
  • MegaKushMegaKush Regular
    edited July 2011
    craigslist>all

i got 5 items on there right now..not stolen tho, just useless computer crap that someone may want
  • edited July 2011
    You realise that you can list the item in other towns and post it?

Or list a similar GPS unit (earlier model, etc - grab pics from somewhere else on the internet) and offer it for sale. This will confound anyone looking specifically for the one you stole - and the eventual buyer you meet will be happy that they're getting a superior product.

"oh i was selling ti for my sister blah"
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2011
    The inferior/earlier model idea seems pretty good. I don't really see how it could fail.
  • landolando New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    The best way to get busted stealing (outside the act) is to sell an item immediately. You said you can get the hell out of dodge and thats probably your safest bet but... that means get the HELL out of dodge. If you cant really get that far from where you stole it than it would be a good idea to sit on it (more than just a couple weeks... at least a month).
    if you're in a big city and wait hold on to it for a bit then its fine to sell it there but if you live in a small town DO NOT SELL IT THERE!!!
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    Umm guys... This isn't the year 1952 where Officer Twinkle saves the day by finding Bobby's lost GPS. Cops don't even waste their time looking for stolen bikes anymore. You think someone is going to report a stolen GPS when there are a million of them floating around?

Pawn shops are shit. They pay you WAY less than what the item is worth, and most of them are staffed by shithead assholes. Craiglist MIGHT even be worse. I've been trying to sell some shit on there for several weeks, and all I get are either (a) scammers wanting to fuck me over, (b) lowballers wanting a $100 item for $3.50, or (c) flakes that promise to buy then never show up (or they do show up with only 50% of the asking price). FUCK CRAIGSLIST.

I agree that you should wait a couple of weeks to sell the item, but if it is something common like a GPS, iPhone, or other small ticket item, you're fine. If it's something a bit more valuable like a recent laptop (many of which contain tracking software embedded in an onboard chip that survives OS wipes), jewelry, or other big ticket item, you really should wait a month or two before selling it.

You can open up anonymous eBay and Paypal accounts by following the instructions here: http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackhat-seo/making-money/142412-how-setup-anonymous-untraceable-paypal-account.html. You will need to get an nFinance prepaid card and use someone else's SSN to enable direct deposit. You can use your own SSN if you absolutely have to, and the probability of the original owner or cops seeing the item online and tracing it back to you is almost zero (especially if you wait a few weeks/months to sell it). PayPal won't have access to the SSN info stored on file with nFinance, and what are the odds that they will launch a criminal investigation over a $100 GPS?

TL/DR: Wait a few weeks. Put it on Craigslist and try your luck (be very clear about cash only transactions, meeting in a public place during the day, etc). If Craigslist doesn't work, go the eBay route. While you're on Craigslist, look for some gigs to actually make some honest money.
  • SystemicFailureSystemicFailure New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    Thats enough fighting guys. Lets use this place spread knowledge and help each other grow. Not some shit talking sect. We are all cool in here. Like minded people with a common goal. Lets help OP any way we can.

Tip 1: Research Research Research. Know what you are talking about. Especially if you will be meeting somebody in person. Makes you look confident and legit.
    Tip 2: Learn how to sale. Not car sales but dont reject offers with "No" or "Fuck that"...counter offer. he says 25 you say 45. and meet somewhere in the middle.
    Tip 3: Don't act shady. Your not doing nothing wrong right? You actions must be justified logically. You gotta eat right?
    Tip 4: Dress respectful. If you dress like an ese or a metalhead give up one day to wear a nice shirt and some pants to close the deal.
    Tip 5: Have legitimate answers that you can constantly go back to if asked the same question again. This makes you look legit.
    Tip 6: DO NOT FLAKE! If your going to be moving alot of stolen goods through CL. Your name and # will get around fast! Its still business so treat it as such.

Here is an example of how I would sell a 6 month old gps on CL:
    Buyer: Hi, I am callling about the GPS for sale?
    Seller: Great, My name is ___________ and you are...
    Buyer: My name is _________.
    Seller: Fantastic, what would you like to know?
    Buyer: Can you tell me a little bit about it?
    Seller: Sure! Well its a TomTom 350zxHDSuperGPS. It comes with ________ and has __________features.
    Buyer: Cool! Why are you selling it?
    Seller: I am selling it because I just bought the new 350zxHDSuperGPS2 and this one does not have_______. So I need to upgrade.
    Buyer: ok. How much were you looking to get for it?
    Seller: Well I paid $____ for it 6 months ago so I am looking to get about $________ for it.
    Buyer: OK! Will you take $_____?
    Seller: meet me in the middle at $_______ and you got yourself a deal.
    Buyer: Ok sounds good! Where do you want to meet?
    Seller: How about _______ and __________ in ___ minutes.
    Buyer: Souns good! See you then!
    Seller: Thank YOU ______. Ill see you in a bit.

Case Closed...
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    Seller: OH GOD I'VE BEEN SHOT!!! OH JESUS FUCK OH GOD NOOOOOOAEHAEKHAFHEWIHFOPAHWFOAH............................
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2011
    Buyer: Yea. you little bitch. That's what you get for stealing my fucking GPS and trying to sell it on craigslist..
  • edited July 2011
    Paco wrote: »
    Buyer: Yea. you little bitch. That's what you get for stealing my fucking GPS and trying to sell it on craigslist..

This is actually a valid point, if someone ripped me off, I would be looking at cxlst for people selling something like it. A longshot, but I'd still try. A real fence pays pennies on the dollar and would only be useful if you if you had a case of them. You could try something really ballsy like scoping out people looking to buy GPS's at various locations till you saw someone you think might buy one at a 'significant discount', this is a really bad idea, but if you pulled it off you would get better money.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Sell it on Ebay or Amazon a couple of months after its been stolen..... bingo!
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited July 2011
    You can just go to bestbuy and stalk someone out in that aisle...looking at one. HA.

Please try it.