Marvelous Melbourne

AltindAltind Regular
edited February 2012 in Life
Any from Totse been to Melbourne?

Well I'm absolutely bored shitless so I am going to make a thread just for little old Melbourne ... you never know, it may make you want to visit.

Melbourne

Melbourne (pronounced "Melbun", not "Mel-born"), with a population of just over 4 million, makes it it is the largest city in the state of Victoria, and second largest city in Australia. Melbourne was founded in 1835 by settlers from Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania). It was named by governor Richard Bourke in 1837, in honour of William Lamb — the 2nd Viscount Melbourne. Melbourne was officially declared a city by Queen Victoria of England in 1847.

The discovery of gold in Victoria in 1851 led to the Victorian gold rush, and Melbourne, which provided most service industries and served as the major port for the region, experienced rapid growth. The economic boom that came with the Victorian gold rush peaked during the 1880s and Melbourne had become the richest city in the world and the second largest city in the British Empire, after London.

Nowadays Melbourne is a centre for the arts, commerce, education, entertainment, sport and tourism. It is the birthplace of cultural institutions such as Australian film (as well as the world's first feature film), Australian television, Australian rules football, the Australian impressionist art movement (known as the Heidelberg School) and Australian dance styles (such as "New Vogue" and the "Melbourne Shuffle"). It is also a major centre for contemporary and traditional Australian music and fashion. Melbourne is often referred to as the "cultural capital of Australia" and "sporting capital of the World".

I won't bore you too much with my words, so here's a few pictures and videos.

Comments

• AltindAltind Regular
    edited September 2010
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Altind wrote: »
    Melbourne (pronounced "Melbun", not "Mel-born"

Thanks. Learn something new every day :thumbsup:

And those pictures are amazing. Some of them look almost dreamlike.

What's the attitude towards non-whiteys? :p
  • AltindAltind Regular
    edited September 2010
  • AltindAltind Regular
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Thanks. Learn something new every day :thumbsup:

And those pictures are amazing. Some of them look almost dreamlike.

What's the attitude towards non-whiteys? :p

The attitude toward non-whiteys... I guess it depends where you are in Melbourne. The city is extremely liberal, but some some suburbs are best avoided - even though it's ethnic minorities who cause most of the trouble.

Lately there's been a bit of a media beat up about Indian students being the targets of 'racially motivated crime' (even though it appears to quite obviously be opportunistic crime or the result of stupidity - i.e. the Indian who walked through a seedy park alone at night and got killed). As long as you have your wits about you and don't do anything you wouldn't do in your own city, you'll be fine. :)
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited September 2010
    Damn that place looks awesome.

I plan on moving there after I get myself a bit of experience for my line of work in NZ. I've heard the art scene is great, especially the street art. Would you say Melbourne is the best place for a graphic designer/artist in Australia?
  • AltindAltind Regular
    edited September 2010
    ^^Yep, I would definitely recommend Melbourne for anything to do with art. It is by far the most artsy city in the country.
  • edited September 2010
    Holy god damn, those pictures look amazing!

The next person from &T who goes to Melbourne has to take a better picture.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy shit that looks so frigging awesome. My mind is made up! Thanks man :thumbsup:
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not a big fan of New World metropolitan areas. But if I had to pick the most beautiful, it'd be Rio de Janeiro:

Rio_de_Janeiro2.jpg
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    I seriously should start taking HDR photos. I haven't gone on a photography trip in IDK how long though. The leaves are starting to turn though, so maybe it's time.

My tripod is busted so I have to use one of those mini walmart ones. It's good enough though since I typically balance it on tree branches etc. Lugging a huge tripod in the wood isn't exactly fun too.

What aperture do you use? I rarely go over f/8 for two reasons.

A: It doesn't make much of a difference past 20 feet, and when I want longer exposures a ND filter is where it's at.
    2: Dust on the sensor. No matter how many times you clean it a new piece of dust finds it's way on there within 10 shots.

Edit: needed its own thread. http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?p=80516
  • edited October 2010
    That is a damn pretty City, people hype up Vancouver as beautiful, but the architecture and public art is actually very conservative and boring. Melbourne seems like it has the best of both worlds, a beautiful setting, and progressive art and design. I have a friend that lives "in the hills" in Queensland, and if I ever visit him I will make sure to spend a few days in what I now know is a beautiful city.
    C/O
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited October 2010
    Melbourne is one of the prettier Australian cities, much nicer than Sydney, though not as nice as Adelaide or the nations capital, states Rolf.
    Gallows wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of New World metropolitan areas. But if I had to pick the most beautiful, it'd be Rio de Janeiro

Rolf agrees, Rio is a beautiful city, provided one ignores the numerous favelas.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    I remember when i was way younger; my father had a framed photograph of the Melbourne's night's skyline on the wall of his study. Was nothing short of captivating. Will ask him next time I see if whether or not he still has it. If theres few 'snapshot' memories of my adolescence that i'm hanging on to tight, this is certainly one of them.

This one will have to do:
    r312200_1375613.jpg
  • AltindAltind Regular
    edited October 2010
    Melbourne truly does have a stunning skyline - and a fast growing one at that. As an avid fan of skyscrapers and urban planning, I'll see what I can find in the way of skyline shots.

4959676801_28008f5c6f_b.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35260967@N03/4959676801/sizes/l/in/photostream/

5058815845_94b6a0cb49_b.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35260967@N03/5058815845/sizes/l/in/photostream/
  • AltindAltind Regular
    edited October 2010
    And some big(ger) ones of the city

Northern Suburbs (Carlton, Fitzroy, Collingwood, Brunswick, Flemington, Northcote etc)

Melbourne_Panorama_II_by_white_rhino.jpg

East/South-East Suburbs (St. Kilda, Prahran, Toorak, Middle Park etc) and Albert Park - where the Australian F1 Grand Prix is held annually. The MCG and Melbourne Olympic Park.

Melbourne_Panorama_III_by_white_rhino.jpg

Western Suburbs (Footscray, Yarraville, Tottenham, Brooklyn, Newport, Docklands etc) and Etihad Stadium

Melbourne_Panorama_I_by_white_rhino.jpg
  • AltindAltind Regular
    edited October 2010
    Speaking of the MCG, it is also one of the largest stadiums in the world with a capacity of over 100,000. It's home to Cricket in Australia, as well as AFL.

5056147453_3149c86135_b.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54580184@N03/5056147453/sizes/l/in/photostream/

5025341708_ba399280b7_b.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/markgoodwin/5025341708/sizes/l/in/photostream/
  • samsonsmithsamsonsmith New Arrival
    edited July 2011

Well I'm absolutely bored shitless so I am going to make a thread just for little old Melbourne ... you never know, it may make you want to visit.

Melbourne

Melbourne (pronounced "Melbun", not "Mel-born"), with a population of just over 4 million, makes it it is the largest city in the state of Victoria, and second largest city in Australia. Melbourne was founded in 1835 by settlers from Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania). It was named by governor Richard Bourke in 1837, in honour of William Lamb — the 2nd Viscount Melbourne. Melbourne was officially declared a city by Queen Victoria of England in 1847.

The discovery of gold in Victoria in 1851 led to the Victorian gold rush, and Melbourne, which provided most service industries and served as the major port for the region, experienced rapid growth. The economic boom that came with the Victorian gold rush peaked during the 1880s and Melbourne had become the richest city in the world and the second largest city in the British Empire, after London.

Nowadays Melbourne is a centre for the arts, commerce, education, entertainment, sport and tourism. It is the birthplace of cultural institutions such as Australian film (as well as the world's first feature film), Australian television, Australian rules football, the Australian impressionist art movement (known as the Heidelberg School) and Australian dance styles (such as "New Vogue" and the "Melbourne Shuffle"). It is also a major centre for contemporary and traditional Australian music and fashion. Melbourne is often referred to as the "cultural capital of Australia" and "sporting capital of the World".

Great Altind, I have read all the information of Melbourne that is given by you. I am very happy because I learn many things from your post. I have only some knowledge of Melbourne. Really you give the introduction of Melbourne in an excellent way with photograph and video. Thanks :)
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, Melbourne is fantastic for the most part...Just there's an overwhelming vibe of pretentious faggotry, I'm not sure it ever got over not being the capital. In other relevant news, if you're in Australia avoid Perth like a pooped on cracker!. Unless you just happen to fucking LOVE mining.
    edited October 2011

Melbourne

Melbourne is the capital of Victoria State. Ii is the second most popular city of Australia. Melbourne is one of the World's most famous cities. It is famous for arts, commerce, fashion, education, festivals and tourism. most important Melbourne city takes care of its tourists with provide a good variety of accommodation. i have seen these videos. these are very nice. thanks
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    Melbourne is definitely the cultural centre of Australia. Kinda like what Berkeley was/is to the US.

IMO people from Melbourne tend to get a little worked up over the limelight Sydney gets, it's funny because we hardly think about them.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    seriously ... everyone comparing sydney and melbourne have no fucking idea .... sydney has something that melbourne will never have and visa versa .. its like comparing apples and oranges ... I do like Melbourne's food scene a little better than Sydney's though
    edited October 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    seriously ... everyone comparing sydney and melbourne have no fucking idea .... sydney has something that melbourne will never have and visa versa .. its like comparing apples and oranges ... I do like Melbourne's food scene a little better than Sydney's though

I agree with you. Sydney and Melbourne both are big cities of Australia. But they are famous for different reasons. Melbourne is most famous for martial arts schools. And Sydney is famous for their restaurants.
  • edited November 2011
    Melbourne is definitely the cultural centre of Australia. Kinda like what Berkeley was/is to the US.

IMO people from Melbourne tend to get a little worked up over the limelight Sydney gets, it's funny because we hardly think about them.

Actually alice springs is our cultural centre.

CELEBERATE INDIGENOUS HERITAGE.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    Actually alice springs is our cultural centre.

CELEBERATE INDIGENOUS HERITAGE.

• IrukanjiIrukanji Acolyte
    edited November 2011
    Melbourne is a very dirty, old city. Sure there is the "street art"(graffiti mostly), and the huge amount of hipsters(into the music scenes, the "underground" movies etc). The architecture is all 1800's except for the new buildings(built in the 1970's, no less).

Everything about the city is old except the Batman area(no joke, it's called Batman) and some other bits I haven't been to yet. The city would have looked better in the 1800's without all the tacky touristy shit, the cheap neon lights, the high density of immigrants...you get the idea. Perth is a much better city, cleaner, newer, smaller, doesn't have as much tacky tourist shit or the cheap neon, etc. Except there is nothing to do there.

There was a stronger "99%ers" movement in Melbourne than anywhere else in Australia I think.

The thing I like most about Melbourne is the road(or train) out of it. I've never been so glad to leave a city. I live in country Vic now(moved from Perth), and the country.

I guess I'm just not hipster enough to appreciate the city. The weather is totally shithouse, rain sun rain sun all in the same day...usually in summer.
    edited November 2011
    Melbourne is nice and attractive place for tourism due to painting, and martial art.
  • Caramello KoalaCaramello Koala Acolyte
    edited February 2012
    I live in Melbourne, it definitely has something for everyone, but the weather is a bit bi-polar.