Pyro-Related Random Thread (PRRT) #1

edited July 2011 in Man Cave
I reckon it's time for one of these. This is the thread to post any little questions, updates, ideas, etc that don't really require an entire thread.

On that note, I'm going to be working on trying to spruce up this forum to a respectable level. But for that to be successful, we need people. The 3 or so people that come by just doesn't cut it, we've got to try and regain some of the old crowd. A big part of it is that the hobby has sort of died out, but there are still a few places left with active members. If you know any old totseans through other forums, encourage them to stop by. Otherwise this forum will continue to go 5-6 weeks between posts.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Is there anything I can add to hand sanitizer to make the flame more visible? My cousin distributes the stuff, and we had a blast one night making designs on his garage floor and firing them up. We used squeeze bottles to dispense it.

The only problem is, the ethanol burns with a minor blue flame, so we would have to turn the lights out to see it. Is there anything I could add to the gel (85%ethanol+gunk), that would make the flame more visible?

C/O
    "Your arm is on fire"
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited January 2011
    Is there anything I can add to hand sanitizer to make the flame more visible? My cousin distributes the stuff, and we had a blast one night making designs on his garage floor and firing them up. We used squeeze bottles to dispense it.

The only problem is, the ethanol burns with a minor blue flame, so we would have to turn the lights out to see it. Is there anything I could add to the gel (85%ethanol+gunk), that would make the flame more visible?

C/O
    "Your arm is on fire"

Gasoline or lighter fluid.
  • edited January 2011

C/O
    "Your arm is on fire"

You could try adding some borax and methanol. It would make the flame green and possibly help it be a little more pronounced.
  • edited January 2011
    Vineman wrote: »
    You could try adding some borax and methanol. It would make the flame green and possibly help it be a little more pronounced.

Just tried a very small scale test of the borax, and a tiny pinch crushed fine and mixed with hand sani does make the flame turn an eerie green, cool, cool, cool, graphite dust made it turn orange, btw.
  • mewrox99mewrox99 Semo-Regulars
    edited April 2011
    Anyone made anything novel with Calcium Hypochlorite other than the typical ie break fluid or ethanol

I know it's mixes are even more sensitive than chlorates :O. Anyone tried a sugar or sulfur test
  • AndersHovelandAndersHoveland Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    A post in totse has been used as a reference in a recognized scientific journal!

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...00068/abstract
    you might not have access to the link so I will share what was inside it

Review of Paste Explosives (PEX)
    Jacqueline Akhavan,
    Journal of Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics
    Volume 35, Issue 5, pages 425–432, October 2010

here is the exert from the references she cited:

[25] J. L. Pomarede, R. Roine, A. Sinturel, Nitroalkane-Based
    Explosives, French Patent, FR 2602227, 1988, Societe de Artifices
    Titan Fr.
    [26] http://www.totse.com/. Accessed 02.02.09.
    [27] K. E. Lee, Reformulation of Composition C-4 Explosive, International
    Patent,
  • edited June 2011
    So much for recognized scientific journals.
  • BoomslangBoomslang Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    Happy Fourth of July!
    I just rediscovered totse, and I'm glad to see BB survived. I used to post on here as Project Pyro a long time ago.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited July 2011
  • LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited July 2011
    ^Bahahahahahahaha