Strange laptop problem..

edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
I recently got a Lenovo x220. It's a great computer, but I've noticed one very annoying problem it has.

Every other time I turn the computer on, it fails to connect to the internet. It cannot detect any networks, even when the list is refreshed, and even though the network settings have not been changed.

All there is to do is to restart the computer, then it finds the networks no problem.

Any ideas as to why my computer would do this every other time it's turned on, and what I can do to stop it?

Comments

• angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited July 2011
    Is this just a wireless problem?
    Maybe the router has to be rebooted.
  • edited July 2011
    Nah, everything else connects just fine.
  • edited July 2011
    Firstly, identify your wireless card and look for a driver on the internet. Even if there isn't an updated version, download it and re-install it again in case your old driver has glitched out or something. If that doesn't solve the problem, have a look in the BIOS and see if there's anything in there to do with wireless connectivity and whether or not it's enabled/disabled on system boot. That one's a long shot but it's all I can think of right now.

Definitely try my first idea out though :)
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks guys, but I figured it out.

There was some fucking setting (In one of the Lenovo ThinkVantage applications, which is why I had trouble finding it.) that allowed the system to turn off my wireless device thingy. Once I changed that, it started working properly upon restart.

EDIT: Actually, fuck what I just said.

The problem persists. I'll have to try those things you mentioned, trx, because this seems to be more than just an issue with my settings. Fucking annoying, because I just got this laptop to replace another piece of shit, problem-riddled machine.
  • edited August 2011
    Have a look through your applications and uninstall things which came with the laptop when you purchased it. Sometimes they like to force computer-illiterate people to use their applications to control the network card rather than letting the user make their own desicions :) Make sure you've got it all removed, then re-install your driver and try again using nothing but Windows' built in functionality to turn your internet connection on and off :)
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited August 2011
    Uninstall all of that crapware your comPuter came with. If recently bought I'd recommend a fresh installation of windows. Check and see if there's any wifi utility app booting up; check msconfig.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    A) Uninstall Lenova Wireless Manager
    B) Uninstall the driver.
    C) Use the Driver from the Company or use a Generic one.
    D) Setup Static IPs.

Restart and have fun.