Recent Hacking Groups Are Making It Tougher For Online Anonymity.

majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
With all of the Anonymous hacking groups, such as Lulzsec, being hunted by law enforcement and getting mainstream media coverage, I am very interested in just how these kids were caught. I've done some research about the current state of online anonymity and I have noticed that law enforcement is quickly closing the gap.

It's well-known that TOR has bad nodes and blacklists are commonly available. However, it being originally created by the government, don't you think there's a backdoor? I haven't heard of people combing through the source code as of yet, but there are a lot of flaws, including DNS leaks. Aside from that, many .onion sites are obviously honeypots, using javascript, cookies, and other means to track your information.

I2P and Freenet are two that I am not nearly as familiar with, so I can't really comment on the security of their use.

Another subject that I have been interested in lately is Bitcoin. This link discusses how Bitcoin is not as anonymous as people may think.

A while back, actually when IPv6 came out, I heard that it was going to be the end of internet security on its own due to the way it shows MAC addresses of users publicly.

Everyone who's into cryptography knows about the controversy behind Truecrypt. With the developers unknown and no one taking the time to check the code, we have no idea just how secure of an encryption tool it really is.

I am bringing up these specific applications due to them being ones commonly discussed in privacy-centric circles and Anonymous themselves. Most of these, if not all, are actually listed in guides from Anonymous-originated groups. If these are the tools used to keep you private, then how did they get caught? I know it wasn't because of PP's <1000 IP addresses turned over because creating an alternate PP account is fucking simple.

Discuss? I'll add more links to this when I get around to it.

Another edit: Yes, I know I've not touched a LOT of key resources for anonymous browsing, such as VPNs, wardriving, etc. etc. I'll add more after I sleep.

Comments

• majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    Privacy and security-related links:
    Tips For Privacy and Security - Crunchbang Linux. This is a great Debian-based distro. Many of the tips listed here also work on other platforms, as they are browser-specific or are cross-compilable.

Darknet's Privacy Tag. Lots of useful info from Darknet.org.uk.

I'll add more links to this post when I find them and sort them when necessary.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2011
    Nice post OP. Thanks for sharing those links. Even though I'm not a big user, I've often questioned some of those same things about TOR.
    The ones who get caught are usually hardcore retarded (even moreso than the other 'anons').

This. I think it's the ones that actually want themselves known. What's so "anonymous" about a group that's all over the internet and claims to be involved in every attack, they are bound to have people get busted.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    They want to stay "Anonymous" but want fame as well. What the fuck is the point of staying anonymous if you want everyone to know who you are :facepalm:. Fucking bunch of retarded high school kids they are.
  • landolando New Arrival
    edited August 2011
    Personally I think those "anonymous" groups like anonops and such are US government fronts. They discourage members from using anonymysing tools like like tor and i2p. they are trying to change public opinion about internet anonymity. I think ITS POSABLE that it's all part of a plan to push the "personal internet fingerprint" agenda.

/me puts on tinfoil hat
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    lando wrote: »
    Personally I think those "anonymous" groups like anonops and such are US government fronts. They discourage members from using anonymysing tools like like tor and i2p. they are trying to change public opinion about internet anonymity. I think ITS POSABLE that it's all part of a plan to push the "personal internet fingerprint" agenda.

/me puts on tinfoil hat

Right..... Fucking conspiracy theorists.
    edited August 2011
    -->This proposed bill<-- is why I am so worried about my online privacy. I thought the PATRIOT Act was bad enough.

The FISA Act is also being discussed in Congress and they are trying to lengthen the terms of it.

Pretty much we're fucked. We will be monitored, cataloged, then displayed appropriate advertising to stimulate our impulse to buy. They will know if you're not buying enough because the new proposed bill monitors your bank account and credit card records.

On the subject of government fronts, I really do believe that it's possible. Shit, nobody would really believe it if it was real and they would dismiss you as being paranoid. That disbelief is the perfect cover for operations like that.
  • edited August 2011
    It's getting harder and harder to be anonymous on the internet, and you're right - people like the retards who let everyone know just how "cool" they are by launching their shitty DDoS attacks aren't helping anyone. TOR nodes are becoming increasingly more likely to be monitored, which makes people like me, who care about their anonymity online, a whole lot more suspicious of who's behind that exit node and what they're doing with my traffic.

I can only try my best by spoofing my MAC address, connecting to open WiFi points and then using a proxy/VPN/TOR with SSL enabled.
    edited August 2011
    What I'm trying to figure out is how exactly they will be able to fingerprint you. The only thing I can think of is another address similar to your MAC address is being (or will be) broadcasted from another piece of hardware and is pretty much hush hush so nobody spoofs it.

Either that, or they can see ALL traffic, like Room 641A.
  • landolando New Arrival
    edited August 2011
    I was under the impression that it would be an assigned username and password but now that i think about it thats just ridicules
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited August 2011
    majeurevis wrote: »
    It's well-known that TOR has bad nodes and blacklists are commonly available. However, it being originally created by the government, don't you think there's a backdoor?
    Full of shit. If you're going to say TOR was created by the government, back it up. Sources please.
    A while back, actually when IPv6 came out, I heard that it was going to be the end of internet security on its own due to the way it shows MAC addresses of users publicly.
    Again, sources? Back up your claims.
    I am bringing up these specific applications due to them being ones commonly discussed in privacy-centric circles and Anonymous themselves. Most of these, if not all, are actually listed in guides from Anonymous-originated groups. If these are the tools used to keep you private, then how did they get caught? I know it wasn't because of PP's <1000 IP addresses turned over because creating an alternate PP account is fucking simple.
    To me Anonymous seems like a bunch of skiddies / children. You can't honestly believe that when they go on tinychat / skype / etc, to discuss who they LOIC next via voice that the government hired a bunch of adolescents, can you?

Just my $0.02. Aside from that, the points on Bitcoin et al. are pretty good.
    trx100 wrote: »
    It's getting harder and harder to be anonymous on the internet, and you're right - people like the retards who let everyone know just how "cool" they are by launching their shitty DDoS attacks aren't helping anyone. TOR nodes are becoming increasingly more likely to be monitored, which makes people like me, who care about their anonymity online, a whole lot more suspicious of who's behind that exit node and what they're doing with my traffic.

I can only try my best by spoofing my MAC address, connecting to open WiFi points and then using a proxy/VPN/TOR with SSL enabled.
    This, times one hundred thousand.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2011
    If they want you bad enough they are gonna find you.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Fuck it, I left the being Anonymous campaign few weeks ago. It isn't worth it. If they're after you, you're fucked any way.
    edited August 2011
    Tor was originally designed, implemented, and deployed as a third-generation onion routing project of the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory. It was originally developed with the U.S. Navy in mind, for the primary purpose of protecting government communications. Today, it is used every day for a wide variety of purposes by normal people, the military, journalists, law enforcement officers, activists, and many others.
    Privacy extensions are, except for the Windows platform, not enabled by default. That the unique MAC address is exposed to the internet and therefore makes devices trackable caused criticism of data privacy responsibles in various countries. Two actions are necessary to guarantee the same level as with today's IPv4 networks: the client device has the privacy extensions enabled, and the provider dynamically assigns a varying address block to the client device. [60][61][62][63][64]

I am not just talking about Anonymous here. I'm talking about all private internet users being affected by their actions. Topiary is supposed to be the mastermind behind Lulzsec, yet is sitting in court right now. I'm sure he's just taking the fall, but how are you sure?

I just want the internet to be free, and that requires some form of privacy and anonymity. This is being threatened by the media covering these hacker groups who use programs that regular people also use to protect themselves. I just want to know what's going on to stay on top of the privacy game.
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited August 2011
    I am not just talking about Anonymous here. I'm talking about all private internet users being affected by their actions. Topiary is supposed to be the mastermind behind Lulzsec, yet is sitting in court right now. I'm sure he's just taking the fall, but how are you sure?

I just want the internet to be free, and that requires some form of privacy and anonymity. This is being threatened by the media covering these hacker groups who use programs that regular people also use to protect themselves. I just want to know what's going on to stay on top of the privacy game.
    My apologies. Thanks for those links, by the way.
  • edited August 2011
    What I'm trying to figure out is how exactly they will be able to fingerprint you. The only thing I can think of is another address similar to your MAC address is being (or will be) broadcasted from another piece of hardware and is pretty much hush hush so nobody spoofs it.

Either that, or they can see ALL traffic, like Room 641A.

I think some of it comes down to the attacker being lazy in some areas. They may accidentally leave one little thing open to the feds to catch on to, but that seemingly meaningless information can soon escalate into a foothole which helps the feds get onto your case. The attackers probably have Facebook too, which, once the feds find, gives them all the information they need.
    edited August 2011
    MarineBoat wrote: »
    My apologies. Thanks for those links, by the way.

No need for an apology. I should cite my sources when I'm making claims anyway.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Lol at anonymity and my drug guides, not least what I hold in my humble abode.

*prepares to stretch asshole for prison time*
  • edited August 2011
    The ones who get caught are usually hardcore retarded (even moreso than the other 'anons'). I'll come back and address some of those points later, but it's DoW2 time. FOR THE EMPEROR!

Space Marine should be coming out soon. That looks very good.

lando wrote: »

/me puts on tinfoil hat

That's what social networking is for.

With all the information people put up on those, the government knows, peoples political beliefs, their friends and associates and the nature of their relationships with them, where they like to hang out, what they do in their spare time, groups they belong to, etc.
    edited August 2011
    That's what social networking is for.

With all the information people put up on those, the government knows, peoples political beliefs, their friends and associates and the nature of their relationships with them, where they like to hang out, what they do in their spare time, groups they belong to, etc.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Anonplus anyone?
  • famthegeekfamthegeek New Arrival
    edited August 2011
    Hillary clinton was the person who payed/sponsored TOR, and a Norwegian guy is one of the topp developers