Is my car worth keeping around?

majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
edited August 2011 in Man Cave
I have a 1990 Camaro RS with a 305 TBI and 700r4 transmission. I only paid $600 for it plus $200 for tags. It has 174xxx miles on it.

It's been a piece of shit since I first got it, but now I think it's trying to murder me. The steering wheel just starting making a pinging noise when turning it, almost like my steering wheel lock isn't disengaging all the way. This is causing the wheel to get hung up at inopportune times, such as when turning around corners (this happened today actually, and it completely locked the steering up).

On top of that, the car dies if you don't give it gas (after about 10 seconds) in every gear but neutral and park. Every once in a while it'll die in neutral. On top of that, I have a short somewhere (or something's going on) that's causing the car to not start at random times. For example, I'll go into a store and come back out with it not wanting to start. Waiting for 5-10 minutes let it start. It seems like it's more of an overheating issue or a sensor issue, but I have no idea.

I don't have the money to get another car until September's Pell refund and I'm afraid of driving this car in case I get in an accident. I'm also curious as to if it's worth fixing up instead of getting another vehicle? I don't want to pour money into it because it was a money pit for the friend I bought it off of.

Comments

• Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited August 2011
    Yes. I didn't really read the post that thoroughly, but I'm assuming your car is not working. The one thing I did read, was that it was a Camaro. So yes. Keep your car. According to shitty 1980's movies. The ladies love Camaro's.
  • majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    So I can get all of the 40+ women with my sweet ride? It's also spray painted black (blue and red underneath) with paint chipping off and bondo work needed.
  • edited August 2011
    Refurbish it. It's a pretty nice car but it's a deathtrap right now which isn't cool, and it can't be enjoyable to drive (unless you're like me and you find that sort of thing funny). Find out exactly what's wrong with it, see how much it will cost to fix and then decide whether or not to buy a new car.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited August 2011
    You got to own that shit man, grow a mullet , get some little short cut off denim shorts. You'd be awesome.

But really, I'd probably just fix it.
    edited August 2011
    What I mean is, are the +$1000 worth of repairs (just to get it running. Paint, bodywork, and interior work +$1000 more) going to be worth it over just getting another $1-2000 car? I can't find the Blue Book value of this car anywhere.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    Scrap the wreck...
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited August 2011
    you get what you pay for dude. could be the ribbon cable that connects the steering wheel controls to the rest of the car; that's making the noise.
    edited August 2011
    I wish it were as simple as a ribbon cable. :D

The previous owner told me he replaced the ignition switch when he swapped stuff from his parts car, so the switch needs readjusted. The dying in gear is supposedly the IAC valve, so we'll see in a few days.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    With all the money that you would have to pay to get it fixed, Id just scrap the car mate.
    edited August 2011
    Well here's an update from yesterday. I checked the IAC valve and it was stuck. I took some throttle body cleaner, unscrewed the plunger from it, cleaned the gunk off, and now it won't die in drive.

The catching on the steering wheel was fixed by adjusting the tilt all the way up. I hate driving it with the wheel up but at least it's not catching or clicking anymore.

Now I just have to paint it. I'm thinking about doing one of those $50 rustoleum jobs that are all over youtube and selling it after I get the title (before anything else goes wrong with it.)