Crop Circles

Caramello KoalaCaramello Koala Acolyte
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
What are your opinions on crop circles? Personally I think they are the strongest evidence we have to point towards contact with aliens. These things pop up over night, and feature geometric patterns so large, symmetric and intricate, that it would take a whole team of humans months to complete. A few companies, such as firefox, have created crop circles for advertising purposes, and even they took a team of people more than overnight to complete (simple logo aswell). Whoever is making these crop circles is also somehow not damaging the crop, and is actually bending it at a certain angle as to promote growth! Apparently phones also get whack signals in crop circles, and there has been electromagnetic readings in the very center. What do you think about this? If you haven't seen the video below before, then brace yourself because it will blow your mind!

End transmission.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Wow, that's pretty awesome. I've always just assumed that crop circles are things created by humans with planks of wood. I made a thread about it once and people responded by telling me how to make crop circles, although there's no way in hell that I could make something super intricate and symmetrical like the stuff in the video. Who knows... They're weird.
  • Caramello KoalaCaramello Koala Acolyte
    edited September 2011
    Yeah that's a plausible explanation for small crop circles, but for the massive ones that appear overnight? You need a team and a guy in a helicopter with a loudspeaker. Shit, some of the crop circle designs I couldn't even draw. http://www.temporarytemples.co.uk/imagelibrary/
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited September 2011
    Just goes to show how artistic humans are.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    Yeah that's a plausible explanation for small crop circles, but for the massive ones that appear overnight? You need a team and a guy in a helicopter with a loudspeaker. Shit, some of the crop circle designs I couldn't even draw. http://www.temporarytemples.co.uk/imagelibrary/

They are really simple to do, size is nothing when you have a scalable design, the large intrecate designed ones are done on paper, planned out, ropes cut to a perfect lenth with stakes put on the ends of them. Go watch some brick layers or surveyors while they are setting out. See how accurate people can get things with a couple of sticks nailed into a right angle, a builders line and a tape measure. The guys that started off the crop circle craze in the late 1970's were builders as I remember.
    edited September 2011
    Yeah I can really see builders waking up early and ditching work to go to a crop circle and work on some super intricate and large scale crop circle for no fame or money or anything, except a feeling at the end of the night that they've made people believe it wasn't them who made the crop circles.
    edited September 2011
    No hoaxed crop circle has ever produced the singlemost characteristic associated with the genuine phenomenon: plants whose stems are bent, not broken. Other anomalies include alteration in the crystalline structure of the plants themselves, also unfakable, and alterations of the local electromagnetic field There is the ability of the plants to grow after being laid, indicating they are alive and have not been trampled; possible alterations in soil chemical composition; distorted and more rapidly germinating seeds; and severe loss of groundwater, just to mention a few.

Some hard evidence that has surfaced comes from an article in The Southland Times which described the episode. Apparently the team and the TV production crew employed the services of two 40-ton cranes just to lift the lighting, to enable them to be filmed at night- and most importantly, allowing the hoaxers to work in perfect lighting conditions. This action alone was reported to have attracted a crowd of fascinated onlookers and the local police; again, an action impossible to get away with in England, where 90% of the world's crop circles appear.
    http://www.cropcirclesecrets.org/crophoax_debrief.html
    http://www.greatdreams.com/crop/hoax/hoax.htm
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited September 2011
    Why would aliens be making crop circles though?
    edited September 2011
    I don't know, it's all a little farfetched I admit. Have you watched the video in the OP? From that I assume they do it to ease into first contact, I doubt the aliens can speak our languages, but symbols are universal.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited September 2011
    Yeah I watched it. I don't think binary would be universal though? I mean, if they can leave a message in binary that translates perfectly into English words, they should easily be able to communicate with us.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    Yeah I watched it. I don't think binary would be universal though? I mean, if they can leave a message in binary that translates perfectly into English words, they should easily be able to communicate with us.

Ed Zachery
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited September 2011
    The whole Alien thing always leads me to thinking about where we all came from. I always think of how there is no possible way we are the only planet in the universe that is home to intelligent life forms. I don't personally believe in god but it is true that we had to have come from somewhere. Even if we did evolve from other lower creatures, where did they come from? Are we really an intelligent life form or are we just an experiment placed here by another more intelligent life form? And then after I think about all this shit for hours, I put the blunt down and go to sleep, not really, but I do hate the fact that I will probably never know the answers to any of these questions.
    edited September 2011
    Yeah I can really see builders waking up early and ditching work to go to a crop circle and work on some super intricate and large scale crop circle for no fame or money or anything, except a feeling at the end of the night that they've made people believe it wasn't them who made the crop circles.

OK then Mulder, I am glad you can see this, because it is precisely what happened.

http://www.manchester.com/features/crop.php

And you want to know how to make intrcate designs?

http://www.circlemakers.org/

You do not by any chance have a poster such as this?

I_Want_To_Believe_01.jpg
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    I've never been sure about crop-circles. People always say it's just kids doing it themselves, but how could they see what they're doing? And I've never heard anyone say they've caught someone do it, either.
    edited September 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    OK then Mulder, I am glad you can see this, because it is precisely what happened.

http://www.manchester.com/features/crop.php

And you want to know how to make intrcate designs?

http://www.circlemakers.org/

You do not by any chance have a poster such as this?

I_Want_To_Believe_01.jpg
    Haha.. Mulder... Good call, I'll give you that, but can you explain the video in my OP? How can these two geezers get access to Carl Sagan's transmission code into space, decipher it, make one of their own, with a picture of a radio telescope that they crop circled years earlier, and then follow it with a disc of binary code? I think you're giving them too much credit.
    edited September 2011
    Haha.. Mulder... Good call, I'll give you that, but can you explain the video in my OP? How can these two geezers get access to Carl Sagan's transmission code into space, decipher it, make one of their own, with a picture of a radio telescope that they crop circled years earlier, and then follow it with a disc of binary code? I think you're giving them too much credit.
    1. The information sent on the golden record in Voyager 1, which is the one Sagan was involved with, is a matter of public record. It is not classified and never was.
    2. The transmission was not "encoded". That would defeat the purpose of trying to establish contact with extraterrestrial life forms.
    3. Binary code is understood by 10's of millions of people if not more and there are a veritable plethora of online binary translators for those who don't know it.
    To see how simple it is to decode binary to text and encode text to binary simply copy and paste the following binary code in the the "binary field" on this website and click on the decode button.

01001000 01101001 00101100 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01101110 01100001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01000011 01100001 01110010 01100001 01101101 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100000 01001011 01101111 01100001 01101100 01100001 00100000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01001001 00100000 01100001 01101101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100100 01110101 01101101 01100010 01100001 01110011 01110011
    edited September 2011

I would understand if binary code was something new to you how this could blow you away. They were teaching binary code to 10 years olds more than two decades ago in schools in the UK - and showing its power by using Sagans message as a learning tool - hardly a secret.

Seeing as you like science so much, what point of reference did the aliens have for understanding height. I mean, the metric system is supposed to be universal, but I really think it only applies to planet earth. Sure, the aliens could have thought, I know, I will multiply the number 14 by the waveleangth of the message (they would have their own system for measuring waveleangth and could in theory have reversed the equation) - however, if you believe this to be true, they would have multiplied the population data by 126.

On top of that, the message was transmitted for only a few minutes and aimed at a location that has now moved not to mention how far away it will be in the 25,000 years or so when it will get to where it was intended to go. Its a radio signal, it goes pretty much in a streight line - it does not chase what it was originally aimed at.

If you are asking me to believe that some aliens just happened across this minute transmission in the years since it was transmitted - well, I dont think so. That would be like me engraving the Mona Lisa on a grain of sand, letting it loose only in our solar system and some future space ship finding it, thinking it significant and analysing it, when in reality, it would be just another piece of space dust.

You have got more chance of aliens watching every episode of Cheers and Hill Street Blues from the spill over of analouge TV signals in the 50 or so years they were broadcast with enough power.

The idea that aliens make crop circles is about as valid as saying trees uprooted themselves in the night and did it, then replanted themselves before anyone knew it was them.
    edited September 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    I would understand if binary code was something new to you how this could blow you away. They were teaching binary code to 10 years olds more than two decades ago in schools in the UK - and showing its power by using Sagans message as a learning tool - hardly a secret.

Seeing as you like science so much, what point of reference did the aliens have for understanding height. I mean, the metric system is supposed to be universal, but I really think it only applies to planet earth. Sure, the aliens could have thought, I know, I will multiply the number 14 by the waveleangth of the message (they would have their own system for measuring waveleangth and could in theory have reversed the equation) - however, if you believe this to be true, they would have multiplied the population data by 126.

On top of that, the message was transmitted for only a few minutes and aimed at a location that has now moved not to mention how far away it will be in the 25,000 years or so when it will get to where it was intended to go. Its a radio signal, it goes pretty much in a streight line - it does not chase what it was originally aimed at.

If you are asking me to believe that some aliens just happened across this minute transmission in the years since it was transmitted - well, I dont think so. That would be like me engraving the Mona Lisa on a grain of sand, letting it loose only in our solar system and some future space ship finding it, thinking it significant and analysing it, when in reality, it would be just another piece of space dust.

You have got more chance of aliens watching every episode of Cheers and Hill Street Blues from the spill over of analouge TV signals in the 50 or so years they were broadcast with enough power.

The idea that aliens make crop circles is about as valid as saying trees uprooted themselves in the night and did it, then replanted themselves before anyone knew it was them.

Fuck, I was going to say that was how it was done but now you spoiled it.
    edited September 2011
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up. *backs slowly away*
  • DalvusDalvus Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2011
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up. *backs slowly away*
    48761%20-%20Abandon_Thread%20Hubble%20Transformers%20Trixie%20animated.gif
  • edited October 2011
    I absolutely believe that there are at least a few other advanced civilisations in the universe. I also believe that it's almost impossible that they will ever be able to interact considering how big it is and how long it would take to travel about. Let's assume there's a more advanced race in the Andromeda galaxy, which is relatively very close to us among the other hundred billion so of other galaxies. Moving faster than the speed is and always will be impossible so even if they were able to travel at 99.9% the speed of light, it would still take them over 2.5 MILLION years to get here. By then humans will be long gone with scarcely a trace as to our existence. And that's not even taking into account how they would survive the trip.
    edited October 2011
    I absolutely believe that there are at least a few other advanced civilisations in the universe. I also believe that it's almost impossible that they will ever be able to interact considering how big it is and how long it would take to travel about. Let's assume there's a more advanced race in the Andromeda galaxy, which is relatively very close to us among the other hundred billion so of other galaxies. Moving faster than the speed is and always will be impossible so even if they were able to travel at 99.9% the speed of light, it would still take them over 2.5 MILLION years to get here. By then humans will be long gone with scarcely a trace as to our existence. And that's not even taking into account how they would survive the trip.

Two words

Warped

Space
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited October 2011
    If we are the only intelligent life, in a universe consisting of hundreds of millions of galaxies, then that is truly sad. Highly unlikely to boot.

Have they been visiting us? That's a different story entirely.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    ive been in one and its true what they say ... the wheat or whatever is not broken but bent ... kinda like you bend bamboo with heat!