Do Dreams Really Mean Anything?

BurnBurn Regular
edited November 2011 in Life
I've been having a dream with a similar theme running to them for a while now, relating to something that happened to me recently. Although this event shook me up pretty badly, I feel I have gotten over it. Could my recurring dreams be telling me otherwise?

Comments

• BurnBurn Regular
    edited October 2011
    I suppose I do 'reflect' on it a bit. I certainly don't feel at all attached to the events that happened. Not consciously anyway. Thanks a lot for your help.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    Drink more ... Dream less
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    I think dreams are a combination of what you have experienced and what you want to experience. I doubt the whole "being naked in a dream means you feel vulnerable" stuff. People look too deep into it all.
  • OsirisOsiris Acolyte
    edited October 2011
    Reoccurring dreams can represent a reoccurring conscious attitude, however a reoccurring conscious attitude can be caused by trauma among other things.

I think RemadE is mostly correct, those things help construct the visualizations and feelings of dreams but I have had many dreams where I was in a place that does not exist, and even secret rooms in odd versions of places that do exist. I do not feel that I merely want these experiences, but really I AM experiencing them at that time. When I was young I had a dream about my grandfathers library room and a secret room accessible through his bookcase. The experience was so real that the next time I saw him, I asked my grandfather if I could go back in the room. I know now that these dreams represent discovering new psychic material. Psychic material can only be supplied from the subconscious, while intellectual material is supplied from the waking mind.

The cause of dreams isn't important, their purpose is what matters. If they had no purpose for your waking mind, you would wake up and remember nothing. I believe dreams is your dual consciousness communicating with each other. The conscious mind can work with raw data while beneath that, your other mind works in symbols. In order to communicate these symbols must be formatted as for the waking mind to comprehend. It is vital that the waking mind does come to terms with these symbols because they are the stepping stones of our psychological growth. Dreams cannot be misinterpreted by the dreamer. Your subconscious knows you better than you do and I believe dreams are custom made to cause you to have the reaction that you need. Our subconscious minds are teachers and we only need to listen when they speak. If it is troubling you, chances are something is not settling right and needs a second look.

Only you can prevent forest fires, and only you can say if a dream has purpose and what that purpose is. Remember though that dreams are honest interpretations, so be honest when analyzing them. All of our minds grew slightly differently so the manifestations of these symbols are going to be unique as well. For instance we all have different fathers so that symbol is going to vary from person to person. However, symbols like the sun are mostly universal.

Here are some basic symbols that through reading and observation I believe to be true.
    Water is a symbol for emotion
    The color blue is a symbol for intellectual thought
    Animals are symbols for primitive desires and when animals morph into humans it is a symbol of your waking mind coming to terms and finding purpose with these desires and insticts
    Tree's and plant life are symbols for unprocessed physic energy
    Houses and buildings are symbols for growth or demise of the self
    Watch for shapes, circles (the sun) represent the self

You can buy any of Carl Jung's books (except the red book) for less than ten dollars on amazon. His books will be able to give you much more detail than me, but the most important thing that he says is that you are never wrong when you interpret your own dream.
  • MEATMEAT Acolyte
    edited November 2011
    To be the blunt bastard that I am, no, they don't mean shit. Dreams are the brains way of consolidating memories. If you have a recurring dream, you have a recurring memory. Instead of trying to decode some candy coated bullshit, try just thinking what memory that dream most likely corresponds to.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited November 2011
    Dreams are basically hallucinations you're having because you're basically unconscious. They don't necessarily mean a lot, but something obviously contributes to them if you're going to think those things up yourself.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited November 2011
    I had a dream last night about a group of green pigs that came from a alien space ship. they were out side the ship in a large group. they would then fuck each other and the females instantly gave birth to floating mines that I had to avoid or be blown up. it was cartoonish and kinda like a video game.

so that dosnt really contribute to my life, unless green pigs from a far away galaxy land on earth anytime soon!

But I do belive dreams mean something. sometimes I have wicked da ja voo and i think its from dreams. I went all christian when i was 14 and they said I have the gift of prophecy. There are times in my life when I predict the future, it dosnt happen often but its saved my arse.
  • MEATMEAT Acolyte
    edited November 2011
    Spinster wrote: »
    I had a dream last night about a group of green pigs that came from a alien space ship. they were out side the ship in a large group. they would then fuck each other and the females instantly gave birth to floating mines that I had to avoid or be blown up. it was cartoonish and kinda like a video game.

so that dosnt really contribute to my life, unless green pigs from a far away galaxy land on earth anytime soon!

But I do belive dreams mean something. sometimes I have wicked da ja voo and i think its from dreams. I went all christian when i was 14 and they said I have the gift of prophecy. There are times in my life when I predict the future, it dosnt happen often but its saved my arse.

I don't believe you, explain yourself.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited November 2011
    Its hard to explain really