14 Interesting Facts about North Korea

juggjugg Regular
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
1. You can’t turn off the government radio installed in your home, only reduce the volume.
2. Idolatry in North Korea is such that it is second-nature for ordinary citizens to “rescue” portraits of Kim Il Sung before all else in the case of a house fire (there are even special bunkers for statues in case of war)
3. Many people don’t even know that man has walked on the moon.
4. There is no Internet, cell-phones have been banned.
5. A main cause for all problems are Americans. Mothers teach their children to sing songs about bad Americans, there are many postage stamps showing the death of “U.S imperialists”
6. A six-day work week, and another day of enforced “volunteer” work, ensures that the average citizen has virtually no free time.
7. The very first thing you do when you visit North Korea’s capital Pyongyang is visit and give a flower to a big statue of “Dear Leader”.
8. About 0.85% of the population are held in prison or detention camps.
9. Most traffic control is performed by female traffic directors (reportedly handpicked by Kim Jong-Il for their beauty), as the lights are switched off to save electricity.
10. Dogs are banned in Pyongyang to keep it clean.
11. Avarage wage in 2005 was 6$ (source: www.gluckman.com/NKFEER.html)
12. Visitors of North Korea are given special guides and can’t go anywhere without them.
13. North Koreans are used to often disappearing electricity and have many candles prepared.
14. North Korea has the fourth-largest military in the world, at an estimated 1.21 million armed personnel

08-north-korea-satellite-photo1.jpg
(This is how North Korea looks from the space – a dark spot of the world. It also shows what is the difference between communism and capitalism as South Korea is very well lit.“Except for my wife and family, that is my favorite photo,” once saidSecretary Rumsfeld. Some people joke, that they must be the greenest, most eco-friendly country on the planet and every nation should follow their example. Oh and by the way, that one and only little white spot in North Korea is Pyongyang.)

07-north-korea-kaesong.jpg
(Wide streets without any traffic is a common thing in North Korea. A road to nowhere?)

SOURCE

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    1. You can’t turn off the government radio installed in your home, only reduce the volume.

This is insane but with the shortage of electricity at least you only have to listen to it about 6 hours per day.

2. Idolatry in North Korea is such that it is second-nature for ordinary citizens to “rescue” portraits of Kim Il Sung before all else in the case of a house fire (there are even special bunkers for statues in case of war)

"Fuck the kids get the picture of the short fat guy" WTF? :facepalm:

3. Many people don’t even know that man has walked on the moon.

I bet many of them still think the moon is made of green cheese.

4. There is no Internet, cell-phones have been banned.

Even if they had internet and cell phones it would do them no good. Can you imagine of they had computers in their homes with the power shortage they have? It would cut the lights down to 3 hours per day. And you couldn't charge your cell phone half the time anyhow.

5. A main cause for all problems are Americans. Mothers teach their children to sing songs about bad Americans, there are many postage stamps showing the death of “U.S imperialists”

I want one of those stamps for lulz.

6. A six-day work week, and another day of enforced “volunteer” work, ensures that the average citizen has virtually no free time.

At least that keeps them away from those annoying radios in their homes.

7. The very first thing you do when you visit North Korea’s capital Pyongyang is visit and give a flower to a big statue of “Dear Leader”.

It sounds like a florist shop would be a great business there.

8. About 0.85% of the population are held in prison or detention camps.

I wonder how many are there for smashing radios.

9. Most traffic control is performed by female traffic directors (reportedly handpicked by Kim Jong-Il for their beauty), as the lights are switched off to save electricity.

The only great idea in this list.

10. Dogs are banned in Pyongyang to keep it clean.

They don't have any dogs, they ate them all.

11. Avarage wage in 2005 was 6$ (source: www.gluckman.com/NKFEER.html)

Well at least their electric bills are low.

12. Visitors of North Korea are given special guides and can’t go anywhere without them.

Who the hell visits that shit hole?

13. North Koreans are used to often disappearing electricity and have many candles prepared.

So Florists and candle makers are getting fat there.

14. North Korea has the fourth-largest military in the world, at an estimated 1.21 million armed personnel.

Saddam Hussein had the 6th largest army in the world and we see where that got him.
  • HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited October 2011
    They're the largest consumer of burrata cheese. :)
  • Chris HansenChris Hansen Regular
    edited October 2011
    North Korea is fucked up. I wanna go there and see how bad it actually is. Maybe start a revolution :P
    edited October 2011
    North Korea is fucked up. I wanna go there and see how bad it actually is. Maybe start a revolution :P

From what I can glean of that closed society those folks are so brainwashed you could never get them to revolt against their "Dear Leader".
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited October 2011
    From what I can glean of that closed society those folks are so brainwashed you could never get them to revolt against their "Dear Leader".
    Show them some Starcraft and they'll be marching to Kim Jongs mansion in no time. Those Koreans love some Starcraft.
    edited October 2011
    If they already love it why would showing them it cause them to revolt?
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited October 2011
    If they already love it why would showing them it cause them to revolt?
    Because they don't have access to it. Koreans doesn't just apply to the North.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    Show them some Starcraft and they'll be marching to Kim Jongs mansion in no time. Those Koreans love some Starcraft.

lol because you made me laugh I will give you this in return.
    kim-jong-il.jpg
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited October 2011
    fuck that little fuck is an asshole , a little bitch that wants the shit he wants it like a little girl . their people should take a fucking stand , i hope we go to war with that little fuck again . imma enlist so i can kill me some fucking gooks and send them free of their communist ways .
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    5 April: North Korea's launch of its Kwangmyŏngsŏng-2 satellite, intended to broadcast "immortal revolutionary songs," ends in failure.
    ^^ From Wikipedia.

Had to laugh at that lol
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited October 2011
    14. North Korea has the fourth-largest military in the world, at an estimated 1.21 million armed personnel.

Saddam Hussein had the 6th largest army in the world and we see where that got him.

The problem with North Korea is that China is their bitch (for some reason) and has a lot of disposable troops.
    edited October 2011
    nameless1 wrote: »
    The problem with North Korea is that China is their bitch (for some reason) and has a lot of disposable troops.

Do you really think China gives a shit about the DPRK? Is that why they have so many lights? Do you think China would rick it's entire economy by going to war with it's biggest trading market?
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    That radio thing is lulzy. Exactly like those things in 1984.

They probably stop broadcasting at a certain hour though.

In regards to cell-phones. They aren't banned anymore. NK recently reported a wooping 500,000 handsets (make allowance for vast exaggeratioons). Likely closer to 50,000.