Have you never heard of identity theft?

edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I was just flicking through some pictures on a friend's Facebook account, and I came across this;

yCob.png

For you Americans, this is a picture of a UK Driving License containing the holder's full name, date of birth, signature, mugshot, license number, among other things... It fucking amazes me what people seem to think is safe to be put on the internet :facepalm: Actually, that's wrong - they obviously don't think about it at all.

Comments

• juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    Damn that's not good at all.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    This is why I don't use FailBook it is populated by largely Shitiots.
  • edited October 2011
    Oh come on, this is getting ridiculous now... I just found a passport photo on there as well :facepalm:

FF3j.png
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Holy fuck is there no limit to this person shitiocy?
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited October 2011
    Related to retarded facebookers;

funny-facebook-likes-retarded.jpg
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    Related to retarded facebookers;

Haha that is gold ... I question it's authenticity though..
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited October 2011
    While I agree that it is just plain stupid to post shit like this online, people are only to eager to give it away in real life too. Be it some organisation that has no right to have it - I can understand governments and banks wanting to see such things, but private companies that require ID?

It is a thing that is pretty easy to socially engineer anyway - ask some one you are aquainted with about something obscure on a driving licence or passport - if they have their driving licence on them, they will get it out and show you. If you argue the point with some one you see on a regular basis, argue the wrong point for they will bring along their passport to prove you wrong.

Set up a stall on a boating quay saying you are collecting names for an around the world yacht trip, looking for a couple of friendly people to help crew. Loads of people who have shitty little sail boats would dream of doing this but cannot afford it and would jump at the chance. Tell them you are just prospecting the interested but to show their interest properly they should give you a lot of details right away so you can apply for visas and shit as soon as you accept them as crew. Then ask for their passport numbers.

You could do the same kind of thing door to door in some areas, saying you are promoting a new lottery, first four weeks is free, its to win a car, but people have to show their driving licences to play as the lottery company does not want some bad publicity by a banned driver or some such winning a car. You could even go around once a week to collect some bullshit numbers off them. Some of them might even start to play.

Then you have lots of identities and some gambling going on. If you can count you could make some money.
  • edited October 2011
    ^ Hit the nail on the head there bro. Too many people are willing to just literally GIVE their information away. You see the consequences of people's stupidity on the news all the time, with little Mrs Goggins speaking to the BBC about how she fell victim to ID theft, and how it's everyone's fault but hers and that companies aren't doing enough to protect her information. Well Mrs Goggins, perhaps if you hadn't have reeled off every single piece of information you have to your name, to the wrong people, you wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Lesson for Totseans - you don't HAVE to give away your information all the time. Nothing's wrong with giving a fake name and address once in a while, providing it's not something obvious such as a bank account or whatever. Use your brain.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Jesus fucking christ, why the FUCK would anyone do that?! I think Facebook should have a policy of sterilisation to not pass on faulty genes.

:facepalm:
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    In the UK if you hire a car they photocopy your driving licence. When I've done this in the past I've always asked for the photocopy back when I take the car back. They look at you funny and say oh we always destroy them. I'm like yeah, I'll have it anyway. I wonder how many just end up screwed up in the bin.

BTW Chippy isn't my real name. I'm careful hahaha
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited October 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    In the UK if you hire a car they photocopy your driving licence. When I've done this in the past I've always asked for the photocopy back when I take the car back. They look at you funny and say oh we always destroy them. I'm like yeah, I'll have it anyway. I wonder how many just end up screwed up in the bin.

BTW Chippy isn't my real name. I'm careful hahaha

If you get the car delivered they do not even ask to see your licence. I would not let them photocopy my licence - they have no legal right to keep photocopy of it. As it is not a contractual thing that you have to have your driving licence photocopied, it being photocopied breaks most of the rules in schedule two of the data protection act.

I teach this as part of my job, so I know what I am on about!
  • edited October 2011
    ^ Amen to that, no way would I allow for my license to be photocopied, photographed or anything of the sort. Going back to my original post, I'd be pretty pissed off if someone was to put a picture of my personal shit onto Facebook, of all places.