Dit Da Jow recipe

juggjugg Regular
edited October 2011 in Life
Dit Da Jow is a popular Chinese liniment sold to heal external damage such as bruises or sore muscles. There are several different recipes for Dit Da Jow, most of which are considered to be a "secret formula" passed down through oral and written history of Traditional Chinese Medicine, martial arts, and modern Western science.

source

I
have been studying martial arts for awhile, and I was given this recipe dit da jow. It was given to me a while ago. This is the "American" version, and I have been told it can be poisonous, but it hasn't killed me yet. I haven't drank it yet either, and you shouldn't. Its to be applied topical as you would use icy hot. Its good for sprains, bruises, anywhere that aches your for what ever reason. The best thing about this recipe is that you can make tons of it and store it. It works especially well if you are doing Iron Palm training.

"Western Herb Dit Dow Jow: receipe that works as well as the oriental stuff...still got to brew it though...
Dit Da Jao recipe

Arnica blossoms (anti-inflamatory, pain relief)
Comfrey (anti-inflamatory, pain relief)
Blessed Thistle (blood purifier)
Goldenseal root (antibiotic, wound healing)
Ginger root (circulation, wound healing, pain relief)
Myrrh (antiseptic, circulation, wound healing)
Sasparilla root (blood purifier)
Witch Hazel (anti-inflamatory, pain relief)

Use equal proportions of all the herbs (OK, myrrh is a resin) listed, by weight. I measure them out on a small kitchen scale (mine is calibrated in
grams, but American versions no doubt do ounces).

Grind the herbs in a mortar & pestle (or electric grinder) and place them in a glass jar. Add 80 or 90 proof grain alcohol (I use vodka/or Scotch…it’s the alcohol that matters)); use 4 ounces of dried herbs to one pint of alcohol base (or equivalent proportions). Seal the jar tightly. Allow the infusion to work for two weeks; once or twice a day, swirl the liquid gently through the herbal mash. After two weeks, strain off the liquid and discard the herbal residue; pour into smaller glass containers.

This tincture can be applied as is to swollen or bruised areas, or can be mixed with a thickener (like lanolin or safflower oil)
and a hardener (like beeswax) to make an ointment. This formulation has also been effective in the treatment of arthritis, for pain relief and
restoration of range of
motion.

If you have any questions just post to the thread!
Enjoy

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    myrrh is also very good for oral hygiene.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    Do you not let the alcohol evaporate?
  • blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited October 2011
    I have a few questions;

a. Does it work well?
    b. are we sure there isnt some equivalent I cant just buy off the shelf at my local pharmacy?
    c. Where can I find all these herbs, as in what kind of establishment would sell them? Grocery store? Tea Shop? Pharmacy?
    d. why do the containers i pour it in have to be glass? (maybe a stupid question but im not up on my herbal chemistry/domestic homeopathy)
    e. Is there a shelf life?

Very cool by the way
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    I have a few questions;

a. Does it work well?
    b. are we sure there isnt some equivalent I cant just buy off the shelf at my local pharmacy?
    c. Where can I find all these herbs, as in what kind of establishment would sell them? Grocery store? Tea Shop? Pharmacy?
    d. why do the containers i pour it in have to be glass? (maybe a stupid question but im not up on my herbal chemistry/domestic homeopathy)
    e. Is there a shelf life?

Very cool by the way

It has worked well for me. I have used it in the past. I don't know if their is an equivalent that you can commercially buy. Its more or less home made Chinese medicine. Tiger Balm works well but it doesn't encompass the things that Dow jow does. Finding the ingredients isnt easy. Try herb shops, organic food markets, and If you have oriental market they might have some.They may also sell the Dow jow but be careful because who know whats in it. I have always used the same glass jar, so I'm not sure if it will affect the Dow jow. It just has to have a good seal on it. A clear container helps allot because when I use it i shake up. When it sits it separates. I don't think there is a shelf life, but I will make a new batch every 6 months or so.

BTW I would stroungly recemmond using the beeswax because if you dont its like a liquid. The beeswax makes it more of an ointment.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    Do you not let the alcohol evaporate?

I don't think so you just mix it all together. I believe the alcohol is the anesthetic ingredient. I'm no doctor I just trusted the guy who gave me the recipe.