Were the London riot sentences too harsh?

chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15347868

Appeals against 4 years of incarceration for inciting riot using facebook. One was for inciting riot in a town that never suffered a single incident.

To me 4 years does seem a bit harsh, but there again, knowing our prison system they will be out in a few months on probation and a lesson learned.

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    On the one hand I see the Facebook thing as a bit of a joke from a one-man Army. It's laughable and the idiot posted under his real name, real IP address and real location. In a way, I think he deserves it.

However I'd rather opt for a community sentence. Not 4 years (or even a few months knowing our penal system). I'm one for humiliation over incarceration to make the person more useful and for the people of the City they wanted to riot in laugh and know them.

But inciting a riot on Facebook is just :facepalm:
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    I agree the facebook bit is laughable, but I'm not sure about the community order. Half the kids nowadays view such things as ASBO's as a badge of honour amongst their peers.
    edited October 2011
    That is true. I like to think that orange boiler suits and supervised litter picking in the city centre, or some other activity under the watchful eye of Police is not seen as a badge of honour though.
    edited October 2011
    It would help if we all spat at them while passing.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited October 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    I'm one for humiliation over incarceration to make the person more useful and for the people of the City they wanted to riot in laugh and know them.

Yeah, making some one who does not feel part of a society feel humiliation is really going to bring them back into the fold.

What the fuck did they expect? Take them to jail, make them learn something. They need to learn not to be stupid, which judging by what they did, they have lots to learn.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Four years in prison for writing something sounds a bit like thought police to me.
  • edited October 2011
    They're making an example of him because they think it's going to stop others from being just as stupid, which, judging by the standards of today's society, isn't going to work. 4 years is too much in my opinion - maybe community service would be a better idea, helping the people who's lives were impacted by the riots (shopkeepers, etc) get things back on track. Plus it would be a kick in the ass for the people who incited the riots, and it would certainly make them think twice before doing something like it again.
    edited October 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Yeah, making some one who does not feel part of a society feel humiliation is really going to bring them back into the fold.

What the fuck did they expect? Take them to jail, make them learn something. They need to learn not to be stupid, which judging by what they did, they have lots to learn.

See
    trx100 wrote: »
    They're making an example of him because they think it's going to stop others from being just as stupid, which, judging by the standards of today's society, isn't going to work. 4 years is too much in my opinion - maybe community service would be a better idea, helping the people who's lives were impacted by the riots (shopkeepers, etc) get things back on track. Plus it would be a kick in the ass for the people who incited the riots, and it would certainly make them think twice before doing something like it again.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited October 2011
    I don't think it's a harsh punishment at all.
    edited October 2011
    Do you really hold some post on Facebook responsible for the actions of those in that video?
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    Do you really hold some post on Facebook responsible for the actions of those in that video?

Yeah the only reason they're scapegoating These kid on face book is because they can't be fucked actually doing police work and arresting people who caused the physical damage ... They need to punish someone and this is the easiest way ... Do I think starting riots over Facebook should go unpunished ... No they should do dome type of comunity service not jail time... Do I think actual looters should go to jail?? YES...
    edited October 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    Yeah the only reason they're scapegoating These kid on face book is because they can't be fucked actually doing police work and arresting people who caused the physical damage ... They need to punish someone and this is the easiest way ... Do I think starting riots over Facebook should go unpunished ... No they should do dome type of comunity service not jail time... Do I think actual looters should go to jail?? YES...

^This.... Ed Zachery
    edited October 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    See

Just because some one has the same opinion as you, it does not make it correct. It just means you share the same opinion on something.

I have heard nothing to the contrary that the police operation to arrest all of those caught on CCTV or those that the police have evidence of being involved in the riots coming to an end.

Those inciting civil unrest are actually worse than those commiting it. In the case of the above two, I have seen nothing other than they did what they did for shits and giggles. They were encouraging people. This sends the clear message that those that want to put themselves in that position will face the most sever consequences. These people are on par with enemy agents.

If they had half a brain about them they would know that the UK judicial system does not fuck around whenn you post any kind of threat online

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-11736785
    edited October 2011
    Reference to looter doing more time than 'facebook terrorists' please
    edited October 2011
    Reference to looter doing more time than 'facebook terrorists' please

Fuck 'em. Kings, Generals and the common man get executed in revolutions, coup d'etat's and crimes on the street. This sends a message to anyone that wants to lead on civil unrest. I think they will also do at least 18 months each. It is the kind of shock that they need, and the chance to learn something, if that is only how to organise thinking so you are not a stupid cunt.
    edited October 2011
  • edited October 2011
    Not harsh enough.

There are many things wrong with society and the feminisation of law and order through soft touches wont make it better. Actions have consequences.

If someone has a serious drug habit and commits crime to pay for it - I advocate rehab because IF successful it is socially and economically the superior option. Community service or a suspended sentence would be appropiate here.

If someone has a council flat in one of the most desirable cities in the world with vast opportunities for business, political engagement, education and a standard of living well above the global mean I dont see much of a reason to start rioting.

The looters were people on welfare biting the hand that feeds. They have no sense of discipline and clearly no connection to the social contract that the british legal system is based upon.
    They should lose the protection of this and the state should be hammering down on them with the full force of the law; I would expect nothing else.

I know theres a good chance that they're going to be coming out and causing more trouble again in 4 years time - but at least they wont be out causing a hazard to the public and shitting out another 3 kids that the taxpayer will be responsible for feeding.
    edited October 2011
    Not harsh enough.

There are many things wrong with society and the feminisation of law and order through soft touches wont make it better. Actions have consequences.

If someone has a serious drug habit and commits crime to pay for it - I advocate rehab because IF successful it is socially and economically the superior option. Community service or a suspended sentence would be appropiate here.

If someone has a council flat in one of the most desirable cities in the world with vast opportunities for business, political engagement, education and a standard of living well above the global mean I dont see much of a reason to start rioting.

The looters were people on welfare biting the hand that feeds. They have no sense of discipline and clearly no connection to the social contract that the british legal system is based upon.
    They should lose the protection of this and the state should be hammering down on them with the full force of the law; I would expect nothing else.

I know theres a good chance that they're going to be coming out and causing more trouble again in 4 years time - but at least they wont be out causing a hazard to the public and shitting out another 3 kids that the taxpayer will be responsible for feeding.

Nice post but that's nothing to do with the op and FB
  • edited October 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    Nice post but that's nothing to do with the op and FB

But it is related.
    "It is a sinister feature of these cases that modern technology almost certainly assisted rioters in other places," he said. "What both these appellants intended was to cause very serious crime. All this was incited at a time of sustained countrywide mayhem.

"The (sentencing) judge was fully justified in concluding that deterrent sentences were appropriate. These offenders were caught red-handed."

They were out canvassing for people to riot with when they got canned. The town didnt have a riot incident for a reason.

And further to my other points - these are adults; 21 and 22. They knew what was happening - they saw a chance to smash and grab and wanted in.

Were they being productive members of a society?
    Do they show any respect or regard for their community?
    Have they earned the respect and protection of the law?

They were laybouts who wanted to hurt their community and have earnt their penalty.

Actions have consequences.

While other people formed citizen patrols to protect their community these guys were looking for other people to fuck it up with.