Sleeping tablets to prevent dream waking?

edited October 2011 in Life
During my periods of bad insomnia I dream just as when I can sleep normally, the only difference is that because it's such a light sleep I wake up far too easily when I become lucid.

From all I hear, sleeping tablets don't have any effect on how we dream apart from perhaps shortening the REM period. Could it be possible to take a mild overdose of sleeping tablets so that you will be in a very deep, though still REM sleep? If the excess of sleeping tablets unnaturally 'force' you to stay asleep (which would be the case), could that not be used as a method to stay lucid? I can't remember a case where a lucid dream faded without me waking up. The dream simply doesn't fade away with me continuing to sleep.

Contrary to popular belief, overdosing on modern sleeping tablets is 99% likely to be non-lethal - all that will happen is that you'll sleep a lot and be hard to wake so I don't see there being much serious risk, unless someone finds you still asleep after 24 hours and unable to be woken.

When I was a little kid, I found it so hard to wake from lucid dreams that I had to focus really hard and resort to things like jumping off buildings etc. Fuck kids :o

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Smoke pot before bed. I have read that will suppress dreams.
  • edited October 2011
    Suppress?!
  • edited October 2011
    I'm not sure about sleeping tablets, but have you tried other methods of retaining lucidity such as spinning around in your dream?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Suppress?!

NVM I misread your OP. I thought you were saying your dreams were waking you and you wanted to prevent being woken. I reread it and now understand you want to stay asleep so you can continue with your lucid dreams.
  • edited October 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about sleeping tablets, but have you tried other methods of retaining lucidity such as spinning around in your dream?

Those sort of work, but if this could work it would be a far better option, albeit one that you could only use no more than once a week considering the damage constant OD'ing could cause. If it's a particularly vivid and coherent dream, having to do those stupid things all the time can ruin the flow. After all, when you stop spinning and open your eyes again the dream could've changed significantly.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    Try gabanol

It helps me sleep, and its natural.

http://www.thenaturalhealingplace.com/gabanol.html
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    I've read up on lucid dreaming a bit but haven't trained myself in it ... (I should start) but I've heard that recognizing 'tells' in your dream .. Like a common one is people hands are distorted but it can be anything just depends on you... And then during the day actively look for your tell and if it's not there remind your self that you're not dreaming apparently this leads to a greater acceptance in realizing you have gone lucid and therefore not waking yourself up.. I hope that helps
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited October 2011
    In my experience, sleep aids haven't done anything except give me extremely trippy dreams and they were definitely not lucid. Most memorable was one that involved me hijacking a Greyhound bus full of cheerleaders at night while smashing through road blocks and individual cruisers. The whole time the cheerleaders were cheering, I was laughing my ass off, and there was lots and lots of fire. Fun times.

Can't say sleep itself was actually any better, though.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited October 2011
    sometimes I wake up but im completly paralised, I can hear things outside. birds cherping etc. but my eyes are closed and i cant move. it can be very scary
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    this is called sleep paralysis its happens when you become aware before your REM sleep cycle ends. extreme cases can last hours which i imagine would be terrifying
    edited October 2011
    dear god I hope it never gets that bad lol
  • edited October 2011
    ^ If you two (Spinster, Jehsiboi) have any questions regarding sleep paralysis, dreaming in general or lucid dreaming then don't hesitate to either take a look through the threads in this section, or even post some new questions. Gotta love answering that sorta stuff, and I've already written quite a lot on the subject anyway.
  • edited October 2011
    Another thing that happens to me constantly is 'false lucidity'. That is, you dream about lucid dreaming or you dream that you are lucid, but you aren't. It's all pretty weird when I think about it. It's as if there are two versions of myself sharing my brain taking turns being in control, with the dream-world version of myself believing he is the only one, with know knowledge or awareness of the waking me.
    edited October 2011
    well im also I cronic sleep walker, I appear to be a fully awake. I can easily perform tasks like opening doors and speaking. I also take on a completely different personality with memorys etc.

Once I even cleaned my room! IN MY SLEEP! so pro