Friends Butthurt at Georgia Varley Facebook Trolls

edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
FRIENDS and family of train tragedy victim Georgia Varley today reacted with anger to “disgusting” posts on a memorial web page.

Internet “trolls” bombarded the Facebook page with grotesque images and shocking messages.

They started appearing on Monday and were posted throughout the night, causing people to believe they were coming from other countries.

Furious internet users demanded that the sick messages be removed and called for the people responsible to be named and shamed.

One wrote: “We need to actually report these horrid scumbags who did this on Georgia's page.

“It's atrocious and they should get the punishment they deserve.”

As friends discussed how to block offensive messages anger turned to administrators.

One wrote: “It should policed better. Facebook should be held accountable for allowing people to write appalling things at such a time.”

A spokesman said: “It is against Facebook’s rules to intimidate or harass others and we provide everyone with the tools to report such content.

“When abuse is reported to us we react swiftly and we will disable accounts that are found to be in breach of our terms.”

Most of Georgia’s friends were on half term this week and will return to school on Monday.

Staff at Birkenhead Sixth Form College, where Georgia was a student, were planning counselling for friends and those who witnessed her death.

Source

Yet again, people are getting butthurt after PUBLICALLY BROADCASTING someone's death to the freakin' INTERNET, only to find the memorial page of Georgia Varley getting trolled to shit by people who don't give a crap about some random girl who they never knew. I have a few comments to make about this particular incident, and the idea of memorial pages in general.

Firstly, why on earth would you tell the internet that someone has died? Sure, have a memorial page for someone famous if you REALLY feel the need to, but for some girl/guy who a handful of people knew? It's not necessary. It's nothing more than an invite for trolls to come along and shit all over the place.

Why not host a memorial in real life? Hell, what's wrong with a funeral for remembering someone's life?

Next, look at the parts which I bolded in the paragraph. People are actually blaming facebook for trolls coming along and crapping on the page? :facepalm: Are you really that stupid, people? You just published someone's death on the internet, on the most widely used social network. If you don't think that it's going to get trolled, then you really need to pull your head out of the sand.

You want something to be done about the trolling? Remove the page.
You want to "name and shame" the people trolling? For what? You're the reason the trolling started in the first place.

/rage

Comments

• ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited October 2011
    One wrote: “It should policed better. Facebook should be held accountable for allowing people to write appalling things at such a time.”

Oh my Christ. :facepalm: What are they going to blame next?

Here's an idea, if you don't want to get internet trolls, don't make a shitty Facebook page "RiP BABEZ WE W1LL M1SS U! XOXOXO"
  • edited October 2011
    For anyone reading this thread who thinks I'm taking digs at her/her family/her friends, you're wrong. Consider this nothing more than a friendly bit of advice, and maybe save yourself from the same thing happening in the future. So many people have put up memorial pages in the past for other people's deaths, and they all get trolled - especially the more... dramatic deaths.

Just avoid it.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited October 2011
    For anyone who thinks I'm taking digs at her, I'm not. Taking digs at her family/friends? Yes. They were retarded. They know what's on the internet. So they shouldn't moan and whine like idiots. They should just take the page down so this won't keep happening.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    Hahaha trolls are gunnar troll ... ESPECIALLY if you feed them such tasty tasty treats ... Fuck I would of trolled that page if I had found it ... And if people are going to blame facebook for trolls I'm going to start reporting stupid fucking status updates for raping my eyes ... Also!!!!! There is a little x on the right hand of every post on your wall if you don't like something on your page how about you fucking delete it instead of getting butthurt and being a gaping vagina in general
  • edited October 2011
    Its a fucking sad state of affairs.

In the old days when you saw a funeral procession you'd stand still and take off your hat.

Now people honk and try to overtake the funeral processions.

Life is cheap. Life has gotten so cheap that people literally celeberate the death of others.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Next stop - the thought police!
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited October 2011
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    ^That is some funny shit, thanks for sharing that bro.
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited November 2011
    Whilst I personally never would 'troll' any kind of memorial page (except a Michael Jackson one, but that was just once I swear :D), and I certainly don't think that these 'trolls' (and I use that word loosely, as it's a pretty pathetic way of trolling) should be talking shit on a dead person, but this whole situation reeks of fail. I've honestly never understood Facebook. Thousands of people telling thousands of people shit about their daily lives, or bitching about shit that no one cares about. Is this what society of the 21st century is? Millions of bitching people, and some teenagers talking shit on dead chicks, giving the millions of people more stuff to bitch about? It's a vicious cycle.