Say what? iPhone has problems with Scots accents

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
After chatting to some &T members online about accents, this gave me a giggle. Poor Scots. Video is included in the link.
The iPhone 4s which launched with a flourish has hit a glitch in Scotland at least.

Created in California, the phone has a much-heralded voice command technology which seems to have had a bit of trouble crossing the Atlantic.

The voice recognition software has problems translating Scottish accents.

Source.

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    This is the new Siri thing, yeah? I haven't had a chance to play with it. Wonder how it'll fare under a strine accent.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Yeah that's the one. I figured it would learn after a while, a bit like HAL 9000.

Which Apple aspire to be like.

Never heard a Strine accent. Will have to get onto YouTube.
    edited October 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Never heard a Strine accent. Will have to get onto YouTube.
    Strine = how Australia is said in strine.

One of our Former PMs (Bob Hawke) was famous for it. Incidently, he also once held a guinness record for the most ale drunk in 11 seconds.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    Strine = how Australia is said in strine.

<a href=" Link</a>

One of our Former PMs (Bob Hawke) was famous for it. Incidently, he also once held a guinness record for the most ale drunk in 11 seconds.

It was 2.5 pints ... AND he did it before he was pm which says a lot about Aussie latex back mentality
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    If the Scots would take the marbles out of the back of their throats before the spoke it wouldn't be a problem.
  • rowdyrhodierowdyrhodie Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2011
    Try Rhodie. I gave up on blutooth years ago. I couldn't imagine Icrap. Ill push buttons and just geditbloodyweeldun.
    edited October 2011
    Try Rhodie. I gave up on blutooth years ago. I couldn't imagine Icrap. Ill push buttons and just geditbloodyweeldun.

That word led me to a hour long Wikipedia rampage on the history or Rhodesia. I still don't have a clue what you said.

http://xkcd.com/214/
  • rowdyrhodierowdyrhodie Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2011
    That bloody blutooth earpiece that was so fashionable over the last few years. I tried that "auto voice dial" garbage and all that happened was that I ended up standing in the middle of the side walk screaming "dial number" into this bloody thing in my ear that just wouldn't do what I told it to. No. Bin it.