Why does my water taste like chlorine?

edited November 2011 in Life
Ever since I've been living away from home, I noticed the change in the water taste. I understand that this has something to do with the hardness of the water? However, why does the water I'm drinking right now taste a bit like the shit you get in the swimming pool?

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Did you have a well when you were at home? Is the water you are drinking now from a municipal supply? I know have a well and when I go to my Father's house in the city it is the same thing with the water. There are trace amounts of chlorine in many municipal water supplies to prevent growth. If you are not use to it you can taste it.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    BRITA filter? My water was scaley as feck the first year, but try the taps in different places? Failing that, bottled water (if you can afford it and have a good tap to refill it from. I have 3 bottles in my friedge that I rotate. Failing that, go for a filter or some strong squash to kill the Chlorine taste.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    DON'T DRINK THE WATER
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited October 2011
    Filter that shit.

I bought a large filter/cooler, and it's fucking sick. BRITA all the way!
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, my friend always passes his water through a filter in his kettle. I don't actually know why as he lives in the same street as me and I think the water tastes fantastic! :D Buy yourself a cheap water filter Kettle and you will be sorted.

(I must say, using this naturally speaking Dragon software takes the monotony of typing posts out away!)
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited October 2011
    or you could get a distiller, I dont think its as healthy for you as non-distilled because the natural minerals etc have been removed.

slightly off topic but in India they fill large drums with water and put a tea spoon of bleach into to kill pathogens etc. you can do this to treat your water if you collect your rain water off the roof.
    dont use too much because even a cap full in a large tank will make a noticeable difference to the taste of the water.
  • edited October 2011
    Hmm. A filter would be a good idea, although... aren't they quite expensive if you buy a good one? Will a cheap one work just as well as an expensive one?
  • OsirisOsiris Acolyte
    edited October 2011
    If you just get the water out of the tap into a pitcher and set it in your fridge for a while the chlorine will evaporate and the water tastes a lot better. I think this is just as effective as getting a filter. You will also notice that water from the tap will make lots of foamy bubbles but if you pour it after it has been sitting out there will be no bubbles. I think there are several gases that evaporate once exposed to open air.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    It goes through different pipes of varying quality. It could well be that the water you're drinking is what it's really meant to taste like.

I don't really bother with a filter, straight from the tap is probably good enough.
    in India they fill large drums with water and put a tea spoon of bleach into to kill pathogens etc.

Western governments already do that, it's called chlorination. Some of the crazies think its a plot by the government to keep us dumb and docile.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    Osiris wrote:
    If you just get the water out of the tap into a pitcher and set it in your fridge for a while the chlorine will evaporate and the water tastes a lot better. I think this is just as effective as getting a filter. You will also notice that water from the tap will make lots of foamy bubbles but if you pour it after it has been sitting out there will be no bubbles. I think there are several gases that evaporate once exposed to open air.

This

Also if you boil water I find it taste devoid of oxygen if that makes sense ... I don't like it
  • edited October 2011
    Last night I went and got myself an empty bottle and filled it up with water from the tap so that I could have a drink before I went to bed. I didn't drink it all, although it tasted a little chlorine-y. I left it on the side and when I woke up this morning, I found lots of little bubbles had formed on the sides of the bottle. I took the lid off, flicked the bubbles so they rose to the top of the bottle and popped and then took a sip. The water no longer tasted funny, in fact it's quite nice.

What caused the bubbles, and why does the water no longer taste like sheet?
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited October 2011
    The bubbles are mostly just air disolved in the water. As has been said, leaving it to stand lets the chlorine evapourate out of the water - however, it does not really form bubbles when doing this, it is the air in the water.

The water where I live is good, but when I moved to work around London, the water was fucking horrible. Compared to water where I live it smells bad, like shit and you can feel the the heaviness in the water ripping your kidneys the day after you drink it.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited November 2011
    Most supermarkets have 2l bottles of water for 17p give or take a few pence, reckon you could have 10l for less than a pound ;) or 12l for £1.02

Water at my grandparents has gotten more chloriney which is sad because it never used to be, always tasted like spring water..
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    kfc v lot wrote: »
    Most supermarkets have 2l bottles of water for 17p give or take a few pence, reckon you could have 10l for less than a pound ;) or 12l for £1.02

This is what I do. Literally, I just get my backpack and pack it out with 2l bottles of water, walking home up the huge hills and it's the most fulfilling drink ever.

As for the bubbles, I get that at home sometimes. Maybe it's just the sitting of the water and temperature?
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    Home Made Anti-Chlorine Treatment

Home Made Anti-Chlorine Treatment
    Do you have hard water in your area? Do you have chlorine problem from bathing tap water? Do you bath in the pool? Here comes the home made anti-chlorine treatment for your help.
    cucumber1.jpeg
    Cucumber hair pack at home

cucumber - a large piece.
    green gram flour - 3 tsp.
    chickpea flour - 3 tsp.
    fenugreek powder - 1 tsp.
    egg white - 1

Here the main ingredient is cucumber. This is helping to solve the bad effects of chlorine on hair. Take a large piece of cucumber. Cut it into slices and it can be a cup quantity. Add 3 tsp. green gram flour, 3tsp. chickpea flour and 1tsp. fenugreek powder. You can mix all these in a mixer/grinder by adding one egg white. Apply this pack on hair for 30 min. and wash it off.
    Apply this home made anti-chlorine treatment pack on hair once in a week.

• chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    ^ does this work on eyelashes?
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    No just on short and curlys