Fracking tests near Blackpool 'likely cause' of tremors

chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
It is "highly probable" that shale gas test drilling triggered earth tremors in Lancashire, a study has found.

But the report, commissioned by energy firm Cuadrilla, also said the quakes were due to an "unusual combination of geology at the well site".

It said conditions which caused the minor earthquakes were "unlikely to occur again".

Protesters opposed to fracking, a gas extraction method, said the report "did not inspire confidence".

Six protesters from campaign group Frack Off climbed a drilling rig at one of Cuadrilla's test drilling sites in Hesketh Bank, near Southport, ahead of the report.

I want to join a group called Frack Off hahaha

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-15550458

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    I wonder if those recent tremors in Pakistan were caused by Dfg's Fracking off?
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited November 2011
    Battlestar Galatica?
  • edited November 2011
    Why are they so bothered about some insignificant earth "tremors" anyway? It's not like they're living on the San Andreas fault or anything :facepalm:
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited November 2011
    Faults do exist in the area, but the question has to be asked - was the seismic activity caused by explosives, or did the explosives cause movement along a fault?

The way I see it, the fault would have moved anyway, the explosions just helped them release stress that was building up and could have lead to a more powerful eathquake had they not been 'forced'.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
    The way I see it, the fault would have moved anyway, the explosions just helped them release stress that was building up and could have lead to a more powerful eathquake had they not been 'forced'.

In other words, they did everyone a favour! Fracking ftw, are people really against it, for serious? What are their reasons?
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited November 2011
    I know that fracking in my area has caused a bit of a shit storm as of late. Supposedly the high volume of tremors caused by it has damaged some people's homes and I know that there is a bit of controversy over some of the chemicals used in the process being known carcinogens. I don't really know much about the process but I have often wondered if the fluid that they use could contaminate groundwater, which would be bad news around these parts as a lot of folks still rely on well water
    edited November 2011
    You guys frack in Arkansas?
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited November 2011
    Yeah quite a bit actually, about 45 miles or so north of Little Rock lots of it is done for natural gas. It's a big deal here, we have had over 800 small tremors and quakes since September of last year with one as big as a 4.7, there is a lot of debate as to whether the quakes are due to fracking or to fault lines in the area. I don't know what I think personally, could go either way fracking seems to have a history of causing tremors and what not, but on the other hand we sit very near the center of the new madrid fault zone, which is responsible for some of the biggest quakes in U.S. history.
    edited November 2011
    Yes, I have heard of the quakes in Arkansas and the new madrid fault line which is why I was curious about the fracking there. Thanks for the input.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Interesting, first time I ever heard of fracking before. As long as it doesnt do any long term damage, I dont see any reason to stop. However, the issue with contamination of the water supply is a biggie and it needs to be answered.