I finally understand

Chris HansenChris Hansen Regular
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I finally fully understand why this forum underwent the change it did. I did not post here much until the whole splitting of your community but once I started posting regularly I felt like I was part of your community. People were nice and friendly and actually pretty damn funny. While I posted back at totse2 before many of your members migrated there I felt like I was a good and appreciated member of the community. Someone who was actually a decent poster. Sadly that day is no more.
When I heard about TDR going batshit crazy (no offence) I thought "Man, that guy must have a fucking power problem." but I decided to come here to investigate. In my buisness law class we learned there are always three stories, party a's story, party b's story, and the truth. I feel this is a good way to live because once you talk to both parties you have much more info than when you would just talk to one. And that is what I did. I came over here and decided to try out your teamspeak. I talked to TDR in person and he was a nice guy. He answered every question about the cause of the split before I even had to ask them all.
Now when I log on to totse2 I notice the entire forum is comprised of HB type bullshit. The new people came and desicrated my old temple. I felt totse2 was my home for years and they came there and just started being dicks. They respect no one but other people from .info and seem to definitly be bowing down to Fanglekai. This just wasnt working for me. I decided to post/lurk here more and it was nice. There is intellectual conversation and a bunch of fun to be had here. You guys have a great mix and is just the place I want to be. Of course I will still post over there but I feel like here I can grow more and learn more. Maybe this post wont make sense but what I am really trying to say is thank you to DFG and TDR for cleaning this place up.

I raise my join to totse.info.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    You're welcome, it actually hurt me more than ever since most of the members were close to me but I had think about the whole community not just few users. And it's not like I knew about this few days ago, I know I would have to deal with this sooner or later. So, although we lost few but in the end we pretty much saved this place. Things are going to keep on changing until we're at stage where everyone involved can look back and say we did something. I wanted this place to be in competition with Cracked.com or lifehacker.com but apparently I had a hard time reaching that goal. The user base was divided, too many idiots with no plans for future and worst of all, forum drama. It totally drains creative energy and makes it harder for people to contribute.

We kept the whole Totse.info thing for over a year and we didn't see any change, sure we got SEO and stuff but it was because we worked our ass off it, the content was decent but no where good enough and we couldn't attract people who honestly wanted to contribute. Just few minutes ago, I skyped with various people and invited them to Totse.info, I wouldn't have done it in the past knowing the atmosphere but now, I am confident that people with knowledge can come here and feel respected. We're honestly trying to move away from the 90% forum BS that you usually see on any Totse type forum. I plan to stick with the current plan and I do intend to make more changes.

The future of this place looks a bit different, I don't this place to be just a forum, I want this to be a real community, where people shake hands, drink beer, talk about work and generally be free. I don't want this place to attract perverts (ahem, JB is something else), I don't want this place to attract people who just got high for the first time or learned how to screw a light bulb, I want people who worked day and night, have a family, know about what life really is, know what music really was and generally are real people.

Sure the user base would be around 20~75 but those users would be educated people who can actually help people like me and you. And to attract that type of user base you need to really man up and clean up things. I trust TDR, I trust the current management, sure at time we don't see eye to eye but that will slowly change. All the mods that we have on the team right now, are in constant communication with me, they know me for what I really am and they trust me.

I am not regretting my decision to make the changes, instead I am glad I finally made the move and I thank everyone who stood behind me and had my back.

So, Chris it's honestly good to have you here.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    Your post makes perfect sense Chris. I've been forum hopping for a long time looking for somewhere I can chat, share and learn stuff. (you're never too old to learn) I'll spend a few months here, a few months there. I was at totse2 a couple of weeks and heard about .info, and like you I came over for a look. Now here I am.
  • edited November 2011
    It's cool to have you around bro. It's a big shame that we lost our other members, I really liked them but I guess that's all just part of the cycle. People come, others go - it just carries on. What we've got is quality though, and I think that if we make an effort, we can get back up to speed again.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    Thank you for your honest assessment from an unbiased point of view. The only thing I can add to this thread is that unlike the tuff guy crew under Fangelkai's thumb we don't sit around and throw stones at them the way they do at us. We are more concerned with what we are doing than with what they are doing. I only hope Easy-e cleans the trolls off of his staff before his board suffers too badly. He seems like a level headed guy with a balanced sense of fairness and I wish him all the best in his efforts on Totse2.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    Thank you for your honest assessment from an unbiased point of view. The only thing I can add to this thread is that unlike the tuff guy crew under Fangelkai's thumb we don't sit around and throw stones at them the way they do at us. We are more concerned with what we are doing than with what they are doing. I only hope Easy-e cleans the trolls off of his staff before his board suffers too badly. He seems like a level headed guy with a balanced sense of fairness and I wish him all the best in his efforts on Totse2.

Amen, like I mentioned before I don't have any ill intentions towards T2 but I did lurk there and I can't even check threads there. I do hope they recover.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited November 2011
    Amen.

There's freedom of speech and then there's freedom of information. People will vote with their feet. I know I already have.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited November 2011
    TDR going batshit crazy

Welcome to totse.info!

I jest. It's good to have people here who understand and actually have a thirst for learning things others post and then in turn posting things other people can learn from, instead of people always posting HB shit like "my butt hurts lololol im butt hurt all the gay sex hawhhaw!" and bullshit like that. (Don't worry, it's just a random quote from my ass, I don't think anyone has actually posted that)

It's good to have you here man, and I hope you are here for a long time.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited November 2011
    Well, why would any one take the time to post some good advice, knowledge or tips only to be sure the original purpose - to provoke thought, discovery and learning - was lost in inane bullshit. Many, many times I have typed some thing up in OO and deleted it thinking 'nothing lost for those that choose not to learn'.

Hopefully the people here want to learn. I want to. If you are not learning, you are repeating. I have always wanted to share what I know alsoI do that for a living but in a different way.

To cut a tie with the past, maybe read*know*do should be replaced with Think*Think*Think

Think about it.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    ^this

I like the motto.
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited November 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Well, why would any one take the time to post some good advice, knowledge or tips only to be sure the original purpose - to provoke thought, discovery and learning - was lost in inane bullshit. Many, many times I have typed some thing up in OO and deleted it thinking 'nothing lost for those that choose not to learn'.

This was the case with me for the most part. Dark Kaiser put it in a way that I've thought of it as since back in the days of the original &T: when the forum is acting like that, it's like "feeding caviar to cattle." Feels like a massive waste of time trying to post anything useful when it's just going to be lost in a sea of bullshit and nobody is going to take your tested and verified information any more seriously as the guy posting about how to make "axe bombz!" and the local wanna-be guru is going to piss all over your work even though he's wrong in a vain attempt to maintain some kind of status over his forum in which he has reknown.

Really, really pathetic shit. It felt just as bizarre typing it into words as it is seeing it in action.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »

Hopefully the people here want to learn. I want to. If you are not learning, you are repeating. I have always wanted to share what I know alsoI do that for a living but in a different way.

To cut a tie with the past, maybe read*know*do should be replaced with Think*Think*Think

Think about it.

Think*Think*Think it has a nice ring to it and I think I am going to use it. Read. Know. Do & Think. Think. Think
    edited November 2011
    You guys are proof of concept. When I first signed up over at Z*cklet after I had seen Totse had closed nearly 9 years after the last time I had posted there I tried in vain to say the same things in an effort to make it a place worth posting in. Finally I threw up my hands and forced them to ban me so I would not waste anymore time there. Fortunately Dfg came here out od the same sense of frustration and him and I finally hooked up via TeamSpeak where we could discuss these same concepts the every poster ITT thread has covered. We now have taken the first steps on this path. While that may seem to be the hard part, breaking from the past and setting of in a bold new direction, that was the easy part. Now the real work begins in taking that concept and putting in to action one thread, one post at a time. I look forward to working with all of you in that labor.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, I agree with all the posts above. I was a bit taken back in first because when the change was implemented as it was such a drastic step that I did not know whether it would make or break this forum board. However, I can now see that this was probably the best thing that has ever happened on this forum and is testament to leadership of DFG and TDR that they had the guts to carry this through. We now have quality posters, not only that but there is actually quite a lot of activity. After my conservatoire auditions (after two weeks), I will focus my attention on this site and do my bit as well. I see a bright future ahead of us :)
    edited November 2011
    Our guts without the support of the good users who stuck it out and the addition of the good users we have gained would have come to naught. So the real guts are from the users who stuck around and are helping to make this work.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited November 2011
    So wait a second I haven't been here properly for a little while mainly due to college and generally being busy. I noticed the whole place is a lot more adult which is good but what has actually occurred? Changes etc?
    edited November 2011
    kfc v lot wrote: »
    So wait a second I haven't been here properly for a little while mainly due to college and generally being busy. I noticed the whole place is a lot more adult which is good but what has actually occurred? Changes etc?

For a full explanation read the following two posts.

http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php/20246-New-Era-New-Direction

http://www.totse.info/bbs/announcement.php?f=3
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited November 2011

Cheers for that. Whilst I hate change(in general) I also realise for this place to thrive it must evolve and to be perfectly honest we never were going to get another totse I can see that now when it died that was it, people tried to resurrect it but times change and people change with them.
    I am on the other hand hopeful for our future a new direction with some of the ideals of totse but none of the frankly retarded trolling etc. At the end of day as you have all said this place needed to change and I am grateful for it and interested to see how the journey happens.
    edited November 2011
    Thank you for voicing your support and willingness to help in our efforts. One good member at a time and this place will become something worth telling your IRL friends about before we know it.