Procrastination and how to defeat it

thomasthomas Semo-Regulars
edited November 2011 in Life
Here are two videos on the subject of procrastination. The first is much more in-depth and examines the root causes of the problem and logical ways to defeat it. The second video is an introductory trailer to a book by the author of this novel. The novel is quite good, only one chapter is dedicated to procrastination but it is very humbling and worth the purchase IMO.

Videos

Audiobook
Here is a torrent to an audiobook series by a well known guru named Eben Pagan, don't get me wrong I hate gurus as much as the next person but this program has seriously benefited my life, and it's a free torrent... http://www.kat.ph/eben-pagan-david-deangelo-wake-up-productive-t2837396.html

Hopefully we get some discussions on ways to defeat procrastination and be constantly bettering ourselves. :thumbsup:

Comments

• edited November 2011
    That shits for casuals.
    I feel that if you arent motivated to do what you're doing - then you arent doing the right thing.

Once you have you mindset on track you can start to focus on getting things done.
  • thomasthomas Semo-Regulars
    edited November 2011
    That shits for casuals.
    I feel that if you arent motivated to do what you're doing - then you arent doing the right thing.

Once you have you mindset on track you can start to focus on getting things done.

No offense but you're delusional.

Posts Per Day 3.10

You could be doing a lot more productive things with your time than posting on a forum. Maybe you are well off enough to be able to have so much free time but you can ALWAYS be doing something better than forum browsing. So do not act like procrastination doesn't effect you, and do not act like you are better than those who suffer from it.

In this technologically numbing and morally fucked up society it is perfectly normal to suffer from procrastination and this thread will hopefully help to serve others through it.
  • edited November 2011
    thomas wrote: »
    No offense but you're delusional.

Posts Per Day 3.10

You could be doing a lot more productive things with your time than posting on a forum. Maybe you are well off enough to be able to have so much free time but you can ALWAYS be doing something better than forum browsing. So do not act like procrastination doesn't effect you, and do not act like you are better than those who suffer from it.

In this technologically numbing and morally fucked up society it is perfectly normal to suffer from procrastination and this thread will hopefully help to serve others through it.

Great point, I agree wholeheartedly and offer the GTD as an extension for people who really really want to get more things done.

I use technology to get more things done; if you check out the GTD concept you'll find that it really does boost the amount of things you can manage at any given time - but organsing yourself wont matter if you lack the motivation to actually complete the tasks you set yourself.

I'm at work right now so in a sense I am doing other things; and I'm doing other other things at the same time here as well.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    I've found the "You're not so smart" vid a few days ago. I'm a massive procrastinator, sometimes you just have to do shit you don't want to do....
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Everyone deals with procrastrination differently.
    Personally I can go 2 ways. Fight or flight.

To fight it, I usually bomb some Tramadol, put on some good, lyric-less music and get reading, drawing mind maps and trying different ways of tackling the work.

To fly away, I go for a walk round Town or do something unrelated, then return back to the work. Currently I learn Dutch or do something constructive which boosts my mood/confidence so I feel better when returning to the work.